1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot bunker load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I shot buncker for the first time back in sept. I used 1 oz of #8 shot,W209,STS hull ,downrange XL-1 wad and 19.5 gr green dot.Give it a try.PJ

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Check the Alliant website for proper data. ;)

AndyH

3. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Always felt 1oz at 1250'/s (or 1300'/s if you insist) was the optimum bunker load. With your components, the Remington TGT12 wad is probably the softest shooting, most even patterning wad. Claybuster CB1100-12 is probably the economical equivalent.

- - Bill

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use Red Dot. HMB

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot (22 grains) for a 7/8 load. I use 21.3 with a 1 1/8 oz. at the 27, an it crono's at 1255.

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Duh!

There's a reason the data are skimpy; it isn't the right powder for a 7/8 oz load. Inadequate pressure for the load. Great powder for 1 1/8, marginal for 1 oz, not good for 7/8.

As stated by others, use Red Dot or other Fast powders like 700x , Nitro 100

Get some books like Lymans shotshell handbook and the free powder company handouts and read them and then look at the data velocity and pressure. You will learn all about different primers and why, wad effects and most of all shell factors.

Maybe this doesnt apply to you, and thats fine, but many noobs just take whatever hulls, powder, primer and wad they have and proclaim thats what they will use. Not good press for your club; You or your associates may be injured.

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The best load I found to learn on was the 1 oz Nitro 27 load. So I made up some clones using the TGT12 and Titegroup going 1290. I have tremendous confidence in this load, patterns very well out of my gun.

So I would say that you should find an equivalent going 1290 with GD.

-Aaron

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

NSXER:Try the load I mentioned above and you can substitute the wad for a claybuster 12sl and you can bump up the powder if you want!19.5 grs should go around 1200 fps and 21 grs is 1255 and 21.5 = 1290 fps.I try and save on powder as well as shot and I have good luck with the 19.5 grain load.Good Luck PJ Also it gets disputed on this site but some MICA mixed with the wads is supposed to give you another 5% increase in speed!!

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Joe.. I would not use mica with Green Dot.. You need the resistance for proper combustion..and a very firm crimp.. Is sent Nsxer with my 21 grain loading data. I load Promo today.. but have had excellent results with 21 grains and the XXL wad in a STS hull. It does not burn as complete as Promo/Red Dot... and has huge fireballs at night.. Also.. NOT for auto's.. but a very decent shell in a break action shotgun.. Also.. the recoil with Green Dot is on a different curve than Promo..and considered much softer than the Red Dot/Promo loads.. Many of them go to 22.5 grains..which is 1350 with the XXL wad.. and feels softer than my 19.6 of Promo at 1330.. Same wad..same hull and primer.Also.. the Green Dot loads perfer the older .729 or less barrels.. The big bores reduce the pressure curve to where the readings are very eratic.. that is probably the BEST reason to go to a faster burning powder.. Most of the Bunker shooters I have met.. that reload ,speak very highly of American Select..(I have never loaded it).. In high speed shells.. there is a distinct break at about 1350fps.. and over that the slightly slower burning powders start to come very much alive. If you look carefully at your wad and shot selection..and 1400 fps.. Green Dot starts looking better and better..

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Shot410.. as the payload goes down.. usually powder charges must go up to keep powder in its pressure curve.. There are many 23 grain Green Dot loads out there.. and some even higher in a straight wall paper case..that are under 10,000 psi..with 24 grams of lead.. While I load Promo for 24 gram..and am extremely happy with my 19.6 grains.. I've loaded and shot Green Dot with good results.. If you had Green Dot and wanted to try..I'd go for it..but if I had to buy powder..I'd go to Red Dot/Promo/American Select.. It kind of like using IMR4227 in a 1 1/8oz 20 gauge.. It's safe..but I don't think they even list it today.. Pressure is wayyyyyyyyyyyy low..and shells are real slow..

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Steve,

Re read my post, no offense friend, just trying to point you in the right direction.

What was it you didn't like?

Why use unsuitable loads when you can get much better results, with less?

Not a noob? No problem, ignore it. Plenty are, and would like to learn.

Where do you shoot bunker, and did someone there suggest Green dot or was it just what you had on hand?

You can see a lot of people don't understand burn rates, powder charges, operating pressure, and payload match up. Others have suggested much worse, and to them, the lack of listing is a clue.

regards bruce

12. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Understood. I should have saved those particular comments. I was generalizing to some situations we have had out here. Sooner or later, you just know it isnt gonna be pretty and our news services won't be kind.

Good luck on an exciting venture! For what you're doing, try to get some Federal International loads I think it is N610; you don't want to be wondering later if your loads held you back.

regards bruce

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Steve.. this is what you'll need to do..First.. you're already a great shot.. but you'll be giving that up to the "fire control system".. It shoot bunker.. not you.. Servant to brain.. Steve here.. Hold point set.. eyes.. soft focus in.. hard focus out.. rest.. eyes..check.. hold point.. check..feet.. check..grip and face correctly on comb.. check.. fire control system.. all systems go.. ready for command..........................pull... target acquired.. fire control system.. target moving to the left..quardrant 2 sector 3. Now.. your fire control system pulls you to the target..thru the target.. and pulls the trigger.. If you do it..it will not be pretty.. most of it comes from your "fire control syster".. your brain.. It's all over in 3/10's of a second..give or take a little.. I suggest you watch a round or two to get use to the target speed.. You'll never know where the targets are going. You will get 5 grass cutters in every round..but you'll never know when or where.. A computer control the machines so everyone gets the same number of each in a round..but you never know where.. The person next to you might get 1 in 5 grass cutters.. and you get 3 in a row.. All you know.. is you have 2 left in the next 20 shots.. I don't suggest trying to "read" the traps.. Some claim they can do it..but seriously doubt anyone does it well... Anyway.. good luck to you..I warn you.. It's VERY addictive..and rivals ATA doubles for half the price.. All Good.. Mike

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The best Bunker powder I have ever used is Solo 1000.

Clays/ClayDot are good powders. Intl' Clays is good. Red Dot/Promo are good. AmSel is good. E3 Is very good. Titegroup is very good. REX I is very good. 700X is good.

There are a bunch of powders that will give you what you need for Bunker.

Do not load slow shells. Twenty-four gram Intl' Bunker loads are running about 1350 FPS. There is a reason for the speed.

Use tight chokes. :^)

15. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Just an Idea Steve,

Why change anything from your current load. If you've patterened it and trust it, even if it's a 1 1/8 oz load. It may not be the ideal or a "legal" bunker load but it will break the targets if you're looking at them right. Go out have fun and learn the game. If you really want to shoot 24 grams call the club and see if bullets are available that way you don't end up thinking about what you laoded and if it's fast enough, hard enough etc.

Just my two cents,

Garry

16. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

24 grams is the max for International competition. 24 grams is about 12 grains less than 7/8 oz.

From Alliant's website....

STS hull, Rem 209P, Rem TGT-12, 22 gr Green Dot, 7/8 oz of shot = 1310 fps @ 7100 psi.

Winchester had a similiar international load in their manual a few years ago with WST (similiar in burn speed to Green Dot) and Winchester components. I have tried that load, and it worked pretty nice.

So, IMO slower powders like Green Dot and WST will work fine, but faster powders like e3, Red Dot, Promo, would be better simply because you're going to have to use a heckuva lot less powder.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green dot load for 24 gram shot