1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot - 4 Pedal Wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by myevh3, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

In searching for a good 4-pedal wad to try, I have a few questions. Alliant's site has GD loads for WAA12 wads, can the claybuster clones be safely substituted? Other wad I was considering was the Versalite wad, Alliants website lists the following loads, I thought the data was strange.

1 1/8, GD(21), Versalite, Win 209, 1200fps, 9000psi
    1 1/8, GD(19.5), Versalite, Win 209, 1200fps, 10,400psi

How does 1.5 grains less powder produce 1,400 more psi????

I'll probably call them to clarify if I decide on trying that load.

Any Thoughts???

Thanks...

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What hull are you using? Alliants web site shows 8000 psi., 1145 fps with 19.5 grains of GD with a Win AA hull, and the same components. Wayne

EDIT. Try some Blue Dusters

3. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

I'm using AA hulls. If you look closer you will see the 2 1200fps loads listed

Filter the list by Green Dot and Versalite wads.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

myevh3

Looks like a typo to me. Good catch, since the same 19.5 grains comes in at 1145 fps at lower pressures elsewhere in the listings. They must have listed the wrong primer, probably the Federal 209A in the suspect 10,400 PSI listing. I would certainly give them a call or an email and let them know about the error on the website. It appears ONLY when you have selected the Winchester Primer, Green Dot Powder, and the Versalite Wad. Using fewer filters will result in the correct data being displayed.

Looking at the 2008 and 2009 "Alliant Catalogs", the Versalite in the AA hull with the Winchester 209 Primer gives the following:

1 1/8 Green Dot® Win 209 Versalite

17.5 grs 7800 psi @ 1090 FPS

19.5 grs 8000 psi @ 1145 FPS

21.0 grs 9000 psi @ 1200 FPS

22.0 grs 9900 psi @ 1250 FPS

As far as substituting the Claybuster CB1118-12 Clone for the WAA12 wads, you should be OK, as long as the loads are reasonable in pressures. I would hesitate to make any substitutions at higher pressures unless I have data to support it. I can say from a little experience, that the Versalites are a great wad. I would suggest getting a small supply before buying cases of ANY component, since you may not like the results. Some wads might not work well in the Winchester hulls due to the 2 piece design of the newer hulls. The wad's over powder cup may not slide past the edge of the hull's powder cup that easily. Some wads also do not vent air as easily as others. Some of the Downrange wads are of that type that may not. Looking at the over powder cups, a sharp bottom edge without any small "scores" to allow air to pass are the troubolesome types. If you see a slight taper on the edge with three or four small lines down the sides of the cup, you'll probably have a better time trying to load them in the AA hulls, and even the Remingtons. Usually holding the operating handle down for an extra second will allow the wad to seat. You can also add a little wad pressure to help it as well. The problem shows up as a higher shot level in the hull as it goes to the crimping station. The wad actually comes back up slightly due to some air pressure underneath, or at least that's my take on it. I've also used a lot of the Claybuster CB1118-12 with no real troubles, but I get slightly better patterns from the Versalites at longer yardages. I also use a lot of the CB8118-12 Figure 8 clones with no troubles, but mostly in the Remington hulls.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I know the rant and rave is not around the Claybusters like it use to be but, I've always have had and still do like my results with the clone AA's and the Fig. 8's. I used and tried others but my results were never really any better.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Just tried Blue Dusters in AA hulls with 19.7 Green Dot and they loaded lousy! Bulged every shell. They did not go down the inside cup. Fred

7. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

I'm making a run to Dawson Enterprises, about an hour drive me, on Thursday for some supplies. I think after much reading I'm going to go with the following: 1 1/8 #8, GD (20), Win 209, Versalite wads

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You might want to have some alternate choices if they are out of stock on what you want. I think you made a good selection for your loads. Just be sure to weigh the powder drops, since the bushing charts are not always based in reality. One of my favorite handicap loads is close to your selection. I just bump the powder up to 20.5 grains or so, depending on how close the bushing will get me. It goes about 1235 - 1245 fps over my chronograph in 80 + degree temperatures, which in reality would be slightly faster than some factory 1200 fps shells. 19.5 grains got me close to 1200 fps.

Good luck shopping! Let us know how you make out with your reloads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

4 pedal wad good