1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot 1 ounce load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by drucker, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drucker

drucker TS Member

Need a load for STS hulls, Win 209 primers.....Green Dot Powder....can only find one load in the alliant website and I can't find those wads.....thanks

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

You will save a lot of money on powder by switching to a faster burning powder for your 1 ounce 12 gauge loads. While it is possible to use Green Dot for such loads, it is far from ideal.

Easystreet

3. drucker

drucker TS Member

Give me some alternate loads if Green Dot isn't a good one Ouncc load...would prefer Win primers and STS hulls....thanks

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Clays and Red Dot or any similarly fast burning powder would work better than Green Dot for one ounce loads. There are many recipes for these loads in the reloading manuals.

Easystreet

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

19.0 - 19.5 grains of Green Dot, TGT12 Wad, 1 oz hard 8's or 8 1/2's, Federal or Winchester primer, Remington STS hull. This load runs a little over 1200 fps and smokes targets. The patterns are as good as any 1 oz load I have tried and it's consistant in cold weather as well. I have run these loads over my chronograph at various temperatures and don't see any reason to believe they aren't consistant. I shoot a gaspipe and don't find them any "dirtier" than other powders. I've used the Claybuster clone and the Downrange clone of the TGT12 wads. They were about as good as the Remington Originals, but I still prefer the real thing if I can get them. The Remington STS primers did not do as well and there were some spectacular flames coming out of the ejection port at night. The Winchester and Federal primers cured that issue and lowered the SD a significant amount.

I'll also use Promo, Red Dot, Clays, Clay Dot, etc, for similar loads. There is just no reason to expect Green Dot not to perform well in a decent 1 oz load, if it is loaded to a high enough pressure to burn properly. I would not use Geen Dot for very light 1 oz or 7/8 oz loads. The load I listed above has worked well for me for a number of years. Other shooters have used a similar load with decent success.

There is a lot of data posted on the powder manufacturer's sites. I would always check there first. The load I listed above is well within bounds according to data that was once available from Alliant. I'm not sure if they still list that particular load. You can always call tham and double check it.

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I switched back to clay dot for 1 oz loads.........people were complaining about the powder burning out of the end of the barrel with green dot.

tony

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Clays 17.4 gains with 1 oz. Spolar Wad, AA primer, STS or AA hull. Red Dot 18.2 up to 19.0 grains in same configuration as above. These are faster burning powders and great for one ounce loads. Green Duster wads are good or any quality 1 oz. wad for a tapered hull shell. Save your Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz. loads of shot. Fred

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Quack, is right 19.5 GD, TGT12 wad, #8's, Fio primer, STS or AA hull. This load will ink targets back to the 27. And it is very soft shooting. Very little recoil for us sissies.

9. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

American Select is the preferred one once long yardage powder from Alliant. I've tried both and would stay away from green dot for anything less than 3 dram loads with Federal primers only. It only gets worse as the weather gets cold. Please try American Select for one once handicap loads, red dot, promo for 16 yards. Bruce

10. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Alliant Promo makes great economical one ounce loads. I use it with Green Duster wads in STS hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 oz loads for remington sts hull and red dot and remington wadsdot
grains of red dot powder for 12 guage sts 118 shells
green dot 1 oz load

greendot 1oz reloads

greendot loads
load data for green dot power for 1oz loads
load for greendot 12ga

trap 1oz greendot loads