1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

green birds???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 682LINY, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Just stoped by the pratice trap,,,found out they throw GREEN targets here,,,,any idea what color glasses work well with them????

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

None work for me because I'm color blind and green doesn't have the contrast I need to get deffinition. They throw the green targets at Sage Hills in Reno NV, and I have heard the blue/cobalt lens colors work for alot of guys there. I never understood why they throw green targets against a sage brush background.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When I shot @ Redlands last Turkeyday, I asked the same ?--Iwas told Kiwi or Bronze--I had neither---but shooting in the wind was a kick--the background was interesting to say the least----check with the locals---

Lou

4. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I know Decot developed a Blue lense for green Targets in Reno, Nevada.

Gene

5. BMC

BMC Member

I've seen all different shades and colors of lenses used at Redlands. I think it boils down to each person's own color perception. I use a light bronze for the green targets. Dycot makes a bronze-vermillion that is really nice for both green and orange. I've never seen the blue lenses would definitely be interested in trying them someday on the green targets.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Gene's post - but I found them unremarkable for my eyes at the PITA Grand Pacific when they went to greenies for that year....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Oak Tree Gun Club, Newhall California, throws all green targets for trap, except continental. I use a blue lens on Decot frames. It makes the blue birds almost "bright" in terms of visibility. One day,having left my shooting glasses in a shooting vest that I had left at home, I used my Serengetti Drivers with wrap around bronze lenses to shoot. They worked equally well.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bud Decot does, indeed, make a lense color just for the green targets called "Blue Ice". They work very well for me, especially at Evergreen. At the Grand Paqcific in 2007, I shot a 97 in the preliminary handicap with them while most other shooteres were in the very low 90's or high 80's. One thing I have found that is quite unusual, however, is that when there is a little haze, overcast, or clouds, my clear lenses work the best for the green targets against any background. I can't explain why, they just do...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

and I thought the yellow ones were weird, but that's because the club does most of its shooting at night.

10. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

I'm red green color blind and shoot green targets all the time and use a rose or dark rose lense and they work great.

Gary

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have a very light vermillion (close to clear) that works for me, but everyone's eyes are different.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I use a medium purple for both orange and green. The reason is that what worked best for me when I was trying out tints. So, try out tints.

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Green targets are very common in the West. Most of the top shooters use the same lens that they use for orange targets. Last week in Las Vegas they were throwing green dome targets and none of my squad ( myself, Leo Harrison III, Brent Epperson, Kurt Sachau, Dick Newell) had anything different than what they would use for the orange targets.

When I was in my prime 20 years ago I had Dr. Don Yochem (760-247-5842) make me some medium green lens for my shooting glasses that I used for green targets.

Tom Strunk

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use Decot medium bronze (brown) for bright skies and gold-15 lenses under darker skies on green targets. They are the same ones I use most of the time on orange targets and they work well for me.

It never ceases to amaze me how may people dislike green targets and think they can't see them well. I personally like them better than orange targets. Several years ago, when green targets first became popular, a local club with a background of leafy trees loaded orange targets in one trap and green in the other for a shoot in a 50-target league I used to run. People griped and complained, two shooters refused to shoot and one reported the league to the ATA (it was a registered league) for a rules infraction (which was determined not to be the case). But the scores on the "green" trap were higher than the "orange" trap! After that, when we got to a club throwing green targets and the complaining began, I told them I didn't want to hear it. Two guys who said they hated hated green targets - the same two who wouldn't shoot at the "mixed" shoot - had a 50 and a 49 on targets they "couldn't see!"

Ed

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have a set of Gold/Bronze glasses that works with green in the daytime. I use yellow or clear at night. Many lenses seem to work alright with green targets, but I like the gold lenses the best so far.

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I like the light bronze best. Have tried about all, but for me get a better look with light bronze. I also find this color works best for me on all orange and at Sparta. - Jim

17. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

Sage Hill in Reno is my home field if you will so I am quite used to shooting green targets. I use Kiwi Gold Post 4 lenses. For some people they are to light but I cannot use dark lenses for anything.

The green shows up very well against the sage brush under most conditions. It does not show up against the winter snow at all though.

Have fun,
    Darrel

18. 682LINY

682LINY Member

thanks for the advice,,,I will be trying out the targets tonite (fri)around 6 pm at oak tree Calif,,,,and sat at BBB,,,,hope to see a few of you there,,,,just look for the New York Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.