1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Great product for removing rust and bluing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Evapo-Rust. Great product for removing rust and bluing.

Check out the youtube videos, this product is nothing short of amazing.

I got a quart of it at harbor freight a few months ago, still using the same quart after a number of projects (its reusable).

I've cleaned up a couple rusty MEC reloaders with it, just put the parts in a container, pour the liquid over it, let it sit overnight, pull it out, rinse it off, and you're done. Sure beats scrubbing with steel wool and brushes.

The blued parts come out a dull to light grey, and I would imagine you could go right into the rebluing tank if you didn't need to repolish or beadblast.

I used vinegar to remove the bluing on a set of barrels before, this product is SO much better.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Navel Jelly does the same thing. And it cheap.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Naval jelly is also extremely caustic and toxic. It is also supposed to be disposed of as hazardous waste. You will risk chemical burns with naval jelly. Evapo-Rust is completely non-toxic and environmentally friendly, and has had no ill effects the couple times I've gotten it on my hands.

Evapo-rust is also a liquid and will get into nooks and crannies much better than a gel would.

It also doesn't attack the base metal like phosphoric acid (naval jelly) will.

1 quart was $7.76 for a quart after a HF 20% coupon and sales tax. I've already used it on 4 or 5 projects, I just pour it back into the container when I'm done.

4. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I'll second the evapo-rust recommendation. If you've got something rusty just soak it for a few hours, and whatever rust isn't gone will usually wipe right off. The bluing comes right off as well, so be careful if that's not what you're after.

5. Mapper

Mapper Member

Oh yeah, I cleaned a pair of L C Smith bbls in a jiffy with it. It works pretty quickly on blueing, a little slower on rust. I keep it around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.