1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Great News from Ponsness/Warren

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Great news coming out of Rathdrum, ID from Dick and Bruce at Ponsness/Warren.

Because the company has acknowledged some problems with the black plastic base of the EZ-Fill Hopper, particularly with some of the acetone powders such as Lil Gun, they are now going to offer an option of an aluminum EZ-Fill base.

The black base will always be available for those of us who do not have any problems, but now the company wants to add the option of aluminum base that will still incorporate the use of the EZ-Fill Hopper, AND bushing access ports.

Here's what they will be offering:<BR>
    1. EZ-Fill Hopper System with aluminum base and bushing access @ $69.95<BR>
    2. EZ-Fill Hopper System with aluminum base ordered with a new 800 Plus @ $50 added option.<BR>
    3. EZ-Fill aluminum top plate only (you can upgrade your present black base) @ $59.95.

Now, for those folks already with an EZ-Fill System, but who prefer the aluminum base with bushing access can simply replace their standard black plastic base for $59.95.

I should have a supply of these in the shop as they are made available to the public. I just placed an order for them.

Merry Christmas!

Whiz White<BR>
    S&W Supply Company

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Wait am I missing something. How is this GREAT news that they are admitting a faulty design and part by offering their existing customer to pay $60 to replace a bad part? That's certainly an interesting tactic.

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Well great timing as I come in late on the other thread. But already someone is griping about the new part for those who don't like the plastic one or who have had problems. Good Grief. Lil Gun is getting a reputation on the internet for eating everything plastic, even RCBS green stuff!!! OMG Who's going to bad mount RSBS now? This forum is turning into a bitchfest.

If anyone has a gripe it's the guy who was making the plates and selling them here, now he has to compete with the factory!!! Gee thanks ts.com.

4. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Good news for me is I don't use one.

As a devil's advocate what are the odds spolar or Mec would make you pay for it?

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lil gun is not the only powder that causes a reaction, Longshot and E3 did it for me. I already remedied the problem by buying Jim Skeels base but at least PW is doing something positive for the future

6. grummanflyr

grummanflyr TS Member

Whiz , sign me up for the upgrade.
    I sent you an email with the info,
    thanks,
    Walt

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Hey guys, I think its good that PW is listening to its customers. Just wondering, how long did it take mec to do something about it's old style primer feed system.

Bob

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Thanks PW. I do not have a problem with my current system, but I will probably buy your new base just because I like to try new things. I like the attitude of a company that is always looking for ways to improve their product.

threedeuces- I do not understand your attitude. PW is simply working on a problem that a relatively few shooters have experienced. Try this. Look at the price of an automobile accessory if it comes as an option on the car and if you buy the car and add it on later.

Pat Ireland

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I wouldlike to personally thank PW and Whiz as well I have a strong feeling that he went to bat for future PW owners. By helping to convince those at the factory for seeing it as a problem and doing something about it.

Thank you Whiz and PW. As for the crybabies TS don't buyone and see if it solves your problems.

Bob Lawless

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I am very happy to see this. As for the complainers...hmmm you really need to reflect on whats going on here. PW is no different than ANY other manufacture they are NOT perfect and are not always going to have a flawless product. The real question is how they deal with it. They delt with it fine! and now you guys are crying bout paying for it! Please.
    So to put it in lehmans terms for the whiners, They built a really nice upgraded 25# hopper which un-arguably was a good feature. They built this with a price sensitive consumer in mind. They didnt offer it at 99.95 which they could of with an aluminum base...but they held cost and passed the savings onto us. Good idea but it had its problems which you guys seen, So instead of ignoring it they come up with a good solution and if you ask me very competitive one. Its good business! If you guys dont like paying 59 bux for it I am sure Jim Skeel would be MORE than happy to take your 90.00. Or you could spend double the money and buy a Spolar which IMO is just over priced. Anyway KUDOS to PW! Dick and Bruce are doing a fine job and need to be supported.

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

as for the paying for it in addition if buying a new machine I go back and forth on this.. They really have only two options.

1. Option it, (buyer gets a choice and is control)

2. Include it and price it accordingly to hold bottom line (ends up as a increase to consumer) *consumer has no choice at this stage.

I for one think option one was a good choice. They can reflect after a year or two and if 80% of the consumers are buying the option then it will most likely become a standard feature.

The fact they are leaving as a option says they are trying to do what you guys are asking for.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I would have taken a slightly different approach.

Put the upgraded base on ALL future sales and cover the cost on the next normal price increase (probably early in 2010). Why would you continue to sell something that has a good chance of causing a problem someday? Would anyone want a loader with the old tall tubes?

Offer the upgraded base to customers at cost (good public relations with zero cost impact).

Include the upgraded base in the EZ-FILL Access Hopper accessory and increase the price to cover the additional cost.

This would be a simpler approach and would require less inventory.

Jim Skeel

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jim,

What would they (P/W) do with all those plastic bases? They are probably going to deplete inventory slowly and still make a buck or two on the upgrade base. Depending upon inventory of the plastic base, it may be a couple of years before the newer base becomes standard equipment.

ss

14. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

SS, the plastic base probably cost them less than $2.00 (without the steel bushing for the shot and the o-ring powder seal). Just sell the plastic bases for scrap (the plastic they used can be recycled).

The real rub is eating the $20,000.00 or so for the plastic base tooling (but that is already water over the dam).

Jim Skeel

15. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Jim: PW knew they had a problem a long time ago. This is probably the reason that they lowered the price of the "EZ Fill" hopper well below the price they had at its introduction. Rather than lower the price they should have junked it a long time ago and sent out metal bases for the hoppers to those that made the mistake of buying the plastic one. It's called a "recall" and manufacturers do it when they make a mistake. This whole thing will make Mec, Dillon and Spolar reloaders sell very well.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

rick979

"Rather than lower the price they should have junked it a long time ago and sent out metal bases for the hoppers to those that made the mistake of buying the plastic one. It's called a "recall" and manufacturers do it when they make a mistake."

Isn't that what they are doing? Just remember all recalls are not repaired for free. Some need to be paid for. So why do you have a problem with what they have done???????

Bob Lawless

17. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have 3 800B loaders,2 of which still have the old tall 25 lb tubes and I have no problem with them.If you want to switch bushings you have to drain the tubes and it only takes a matter of time,I don't live in the fast lane.

I purchased the new plastic hopper for the other one and it works great,Is the problem caused by using a specific type of powder?I would'nt expect PW to have tested the new hopper with 1000's of rounds of each type of powder that is available in order to see this problem!

The only downfall that I have with PW is that when you need a part no matter how small it is they charge $10.00 S&H . So if you want 2 O-rings or 2 wad guides add 10 bucks!This I don't like at all!!

An envelope with a stamp will do fine.Other than that PW and Whiz have helped me with every problem that I have had and I like the loaders.The learning curve can be challenging but the final results are worth it!

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

What a bunch of jerks some of you guys are.

I am a happy PW and Spolar owner. Both good machines but Spolar is (was?) more customer oriented.

Recently, I have seen things improving at PW. Dick Medley is a super guy to work with. Yes, they have some baggage but at least they are trying.

Whiz, thanks for the update. I will PM my order to you for the upgraded base for my 800+. I was going to order the one I have seen on TS.com for $95 so how anyone can bitch about the PW offering is beyond me. $59.95 is a fair and reasonable price for a machined part that will last forever.

Don Verna

19. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I love my PW's a 800B and a 900 both not perfect but when adjusted right they are a joy to work with. I have the plastic bases on my upgraded hoppers never a problem but I plan to remove them for an inspection and if bad will be glad to pay the price of the new metal plate upgrade. Just look at what it takes to maintain you car, gun, house everything needs maintance and my PW has been very inexpensive to maintain over the years I have owned them verses the amount of use they have gotten. The old half full half empty my PW is overflowing after 20 years of service.

Merry Christmas to all including the winners
    it is not their fault it is in their DNA.

Buddy Walters

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

RICK979: It's funny that you said "...they knew they had a problem long ago."

Why then did you order one recently?

I guess anyone could do what you did: order one, use it for a while, then box it up and send it back to me with a note saying, "It didn't work for me", and get a refund. You had an old 800B, and then sold it for a Mec, if I read one of your threads correctly. That's why you sent it back.

Man, some of ou guys would complain if you were hung with a gold rope.

Eat a little more fiber over the holidays and be a bit more forgiving.

P/W did NOT, and I repeat, did NOT have to redo any of this for us. They did it because of customers wanting something better.

Merry Christmas to all those not expecting a lump of coal!

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.