1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Great lakes Grand?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordy h, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

Any thoughts on the Great lakes Grand? May go this year, what's it like? Venders? Place to stay( motel)? Do you need to reserve a place early? Any other help would be nice. thanks Butch H

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Shooting in Michigan is awesome. I live in TX now and really love it here, but I grew up about 60 miles from the MTA grounds. That's a huge benefit for me now. When I go up there, I get to stay with Mom and Dad... and last year they drove their fifth wheel over to the MTA grounds so I can stay in it! :)

The grounds are beautiful and well-maintained, the shooters friendly (as they are at just about any trap club/event), and the shoots are very well run. It's a large place... about a mile and a half of traps.

Regarding vendors, if you've ever attended shoots at National in San Antonio, you'll think the vendor offerings at MTA (and just about anywhere) are kinda slim. But they do have vendors there. Last year at the GL Grand, they had about a dozen of them. Pretty good variety. I got me some emgraved grip caps for my XT and BT-99 from Bill Mains (he make them while I shot), a John Storm rain jacket, and the Phil Kiner DVD.

Motels? Not many real close. Yellowbook.com shows one motel within five miles. Your best best would be to go to Holt, Okemos, or Lansing/East Lansing. Not that far away, and a much better selection. You migh try asking the MTA for recommendations. Website is www.michigantrap.org and the info address is info@michigantrap.org.

I love it there. Not only is it kinda like going home, but I also got my first 50 straight in any registered event there last year in the doubles championship event. Would have won class RU if I hadn't had to shoot penalty class. Oh well! One of the admin ladies gave me an MTA 50 straight patch... and when I told her that they didn't really do that kind of thing at the clubs in TX, she gave me the 25 straight as well. As I said, wonderful people.

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Check out the "MTA Area Sites" links for food and accomodations.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.