1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GREAT FIND on outboard!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Since I got my new 15 horse 4 stroker Merc, I needed a small engine as a portable unit for a few small row boats that I have access to here and there. I seen this 86' 6hp Evinrude for sale by a local farmer for $300 and I just had to grab it! It had about an inch of dust on it, but once I cleaned it up, this thing is just like new! WOW, what a motor! It's a twin cylinder and it's unbelievably smooth.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=DSCN0085.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Good for you!!!!!

Jim

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Lemme guess...the farmer was a Jew with gills who was using it for fish-farming, and wouldn't need it anymore since the world was ending?

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Don't you love that dusty item that others think it junk. LOL Congrats to you on your find

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The older twin cylinder OMC (Evinrude, Johnson and Gale) outboards were a joy to operate. They were dependable, easy to start and maintain and hand portable. Change the plugs, lower unit oil and dump the old two cycle mix at the end of each season and they would go on forever.

Back in the 1950-1960's, many of my dad's friends had anywhere from a 3hp to a 10hp OMC that they transported in their car trunks and then bolted on to a rental boat that could be had at many of Kentucky's lakes for less than $10 per day. I remember many a fishing trip in a wide 16' john boat and our 3 hp Sport Twin. The OMC engines were the one's to own as the Merc's, West Bend's and Chrysler's of the that era were troublesome. As I remember, the Evinrude's were called Sport Twin, Fast Twin and Big Twin, depending on size and had cross flow heads.

Later on, I had a 1970 20 hp Johnson Seahorse pull start on a 14" deep V Starcraft Mariner that was a very solid and seaworthy craft. I think that I could circle the Earth with two full six gallon tanks.

Ed Ward

6. Tron

Buzz, you were spot on with the exception of your "Gills" comment (which I found very offensive). Actually, this Jewish fish farmer had antlers. What evolutionary advantage that gives a fish farmer is anyone's guess.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wow, that might be the Steal Of The Year. Good for you.

-Gary

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

What i want to know is, if that's a ladder i see next to the motor, where in the heck are the numerous use-warning labels as required by law. You could be in some serious trouble here.The ladder police may be knocking on your door any minute now : )

Great score on the outboard.

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Used 1 like that (mine was a 68) for many yrs. just as trolling motor, it would troll all day in reverse (it would move the boat slower in reverse) on 1 gallon of fuel, we cut the oil mix about 1\2 to keep from fouling the plugs and even then had to rev it once in a while to clear it out. wish I would have kept it. Have to agree with School teacher the OMC family were the best thing going by about a 10 to 1 margin where I lived NE corner of Iowa on the Mississippi, even those that liked brand X,Y,or Z had an OMC for their troller. Ross Puls

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Nice motor.

Mine is older, but very functional. We have a 10 horse law on a lot of northern lakes here.

I bought my 1960 10HP Sportwin at a rummage sale for 35 bucks. The owner had jammed up the throttle mechanism so it was stuck., and I had to get a part TIG welded.

20 bucks for a plastic tank & the prime bulb stuff, and I got 55 dollars in it. Had it out yesterday, nice.

I need some of the dual hose from the older pressurized tank Johnrudes for another motor, an 18 horse. If anyone has some I would love to buy it.

HM

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

That will sure make fishing on this site easier for you.. Are you coming up to the Great Lakes Grand???

Don

12. Tron

I may show up Donald. Not sure yet about what my shooting plans are for this season. As always, I'll look you up.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

HM, Go to most any boat dealer and talk to the mechanic. Tell them you need a fuel pump to convert from two to one fuel line. The last one I bought was around $22.00 and was so simple to install. I didn't change anything else on the motor so it was still original. Of course, you will need a fuel tank to take the place of the old two line one. Jackie B.

14. Tron

Don't you have to drill a hole in the block and tap mounting screws?

15. Tron

We used to call them things "Bull Frogs". They were great motors.

16. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

what on earth do you need more than one motor for? How can you use more'n one at a time?

Rick in Sunny Mt

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"what on earth do you need more than one motor for?"

Alot of people have an outboard to get where they are going and another for trolling(can even be linked into steering). There are also boats set up with two drive engines that run at the same time. Of course then there is the point that he got a hell of a deal and i'd of bought it too.

Dual drive outboards

[​IMG]

2nd smaller outboard for trolling

[​IMG]

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I thought motors were like guns, you just can't get enough. LOL Jackie B.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My old Johnson works like a champ!

[​IMG]

This old boat motor works pretty good too ;)

-Gary

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My Johnson works just fine too. It isn't as old as most of them here and my 27 year old GF really likes it.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why are older evinrude johnson outboards called sport twins