1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Dan Bonillas Article

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The September/October 2011 TrapShooting USA magazine has a great article about Dan Bonillas. I have read on here many times of you guys telling stories of and about him. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but the article was very interesting and informing. He sounds like a great guy. It also sounds like he and his friends had a great time back in the days. He has some interesting opinions on what direction he believes the ATA should go. You should check it out.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Dan Bonillas pretty much made Perazzi a household word ... I watched a crowd gather when he was shooting practice at the Grand many years ago and he put on quite a show ... People were in Awe watching him effortlessly smoke target after target ... I shot with him in Las Vegas some years ago and he can still hold his own on the trap fields ... I gave him a "Magic Rock" while we were all waitng our turn ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He is one of my alltime heros in this game

4. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I shot at a shoot at Bob Taylor’s in December of 1978. Went there to get ready for the 100 grand shoot in Jan-Feb of 79. Had never shot there and wanted to see the place. Anyway the wind was blowing about 50 MPH. There were only two scores above a 90. I had a 94 to win the short yardage and Dan had 100 to win long yardage. I watched him break all 100 of them and they were smoke. What an amazing shooter at that time. I also got to buy myself in the Calcutta the next day and broke a 97 and did alright. Of course Dan had a 99.

5. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I also won a 10 gold coin the windy day and still have it.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The two most remarkable "Dans" in the game!

7. Zardozforty

Zardozforty Member

Dan and his brother Dave Bonillas

zardozforty_2008_03038.jpg

8. Zardozforty

Zardozforty Member

Ed and Don Slavich. Many won't remember Don, but he won the HAA his first trip to the Grand American, and he was on the 27 yeard line too!

zardozforty_2008_030310.jpg

9. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Zard: I think there were 2 or three scores at 90. I said the only 2 scores above a 90.

10. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I remember a article in trap and field magazine, some one was complaining about all of the Stories about Dan and Britt, Both were extremely great shooters.

11. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

He even Congratulated me for my 94. I am not sure about the other 90's I did think there were 2 or three though. He was very friendly and even spoke to me the next day. A real class act.

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I shot that event at Bob Taylor's that day. I was in town after the Spring Grand and headed to Hawaii with six other trapshooters. I was the only one in our group who even left the hotel that day. I didn't know who won but I wasn't in the 80's.

13. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

With out a doubt Dan is one of the all time "greats". He has done more for the sport of Trapshooting than any one will ever know. I grew up shooting around him and watched him shoot alot of targets.

Alot of people that shoot today do not realize how hard he worked at his game, and the physical condition he is in to this day.

Dan Bonillas did more for me and my family than he or anyone will ever know..

To this day I can call Dan and he will help me with anything asked of him. I could go on for hours with stories about him and the guys he shot with. Growing up shooting Trap He ws an idol to me.

I could tell you some Morgan Yochem stories too Zard. Las Vegas was a great city for teen aged boys...LOL

Roger Eubanks

14. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

BDodd, where is the range that you posted a photo of? What a great background!

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Zardoz--I will stop in Perazzi and see if i can get a pic of Dan. I would be tickled to death to meet him. I didn't know he was there. Can't wait.

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Dan is a regular around the central valley shoots. I see him quite often at Kingsburg and any other ATA shoots with in the Central Valley. He is always approachable. I remember I made the comment about a poor score on a Saturday and said out loud something to the effect of "well that was practice." He over heard me and in a firm tone said it is never practice try your best all the time.

Great man.

Bryan

17. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

Mr Dodd I have that same photo saved for posterity, a fitting sub title for truly two of the best ever. Mr. Orlich still remembers every target he ever lost...both of them. Steve I even know both the honyocks in the background.

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I was the squad leader at the Grand in a doubles event with Dan and Don Slavich from Sacramento. Nice guys.

One of their triggers malfunctioned so I stopped the squad and we gave him time to gt it going again.

I also left on the plane out of Vandalia and sat next to Dan B for out flight back west.

That was long ago.

WW

19. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I started shooting in 1978, and quickly got to the 27. In 1979 I flew to Reno for the Golden West Grand, thinking I might do well.

The last day was the big handicap and the wind came up, it was to this day the strongest wind I have ever shot in. And don't forget we were shooting three hole targets then. I believe Leo and Brad were over one field from me and they shot 86's I believe, as did I. The dust was blowing so bad you could hardly see. Target boxes and hats were flying, never to be seen again.

The man, Dan Bonillas, shot a 96 in those conditions. No one was even close. That to this day remains the best shooting I have ever been around. I've been shooting for close to 33 years now and this sport has given me some of the best times and memories of my life.

I see Dan from time to time and we always talk bird dogs and bird hunting. A truly great person. Look him up Grntitan, as stated he is very approachable.

Zardozforty shot lead off with him for many years. Roger how you doing ? It's been a long time.

Tom Strunk

20. Hauser

Hauser Member

I shot the 1975 Grand main events with Dan, Britt Robinson, John Hall, and Bob Oxen. Dan won the HOA with a then record of 984x1000 and the Ohio handicap with a 98 following a shoot-off with 3 short yardage shooters. Britt won the doubles championship with the lone 100.

That was one memorable shoot.

Jerry Hauser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata trapshooter britt robinson
britt robinson trapshooting

dan bonillas

dan bonillas trap shooter
dan bonillas where to look for the target video
dan bonillias trapshooting tips

morgan yochem