1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Great CROW hunting day

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shootrman, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Today was an awesome day of crow hunting here in eastern Pa. A friend and I have been hunting crows for the last 5 or 6 yrs. now and we just cant get enough of it. Last year we got a little over 400 for the year and this year we expect to top that. On Friday morning, they were coming in hot and heavy. We couldnt keep the guns loaded fast enough and this was the very first time that we actually ran out of shells. We ran back to the truck and scrunged around and found 8 more shells. We got 5 more of them black beauties. We're going again tomorrow and altho' I'd love to participate more I Cant. Tomorrow I am taking the son of a good friend and this young man is going in the Marines as soon as he graduates. With that being said, I am taking him hunting as much as i can this year. Tomorrow is his day I want to film it and after he goes thru his basic training and is station at a base I intend to send him a DVD of our times hunting. Its gonna be a great day.

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

And may the Lord be with your son's friend.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

He and you will always remember those CROW hunting days.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I love crow hunting. I have a foxpro CS-24 krakatoa I went with my brother and his sniper buddy last year. He is a Marine and we were hunting in NC. We took somewhere in the vicinity of 75 crows in the first hour. We were "Winchester" as well and they were still coming. Great times.

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

RemStar, sounds like you've been there. What a rush! We always TRY to take turns but when one guy gets to excited he snakes the other by shooting to fast and that is the topic of the week. get fun with great friends. We have often taken a guest and have some good laughs. But we thrive on who gets the first double or triple. My buddy has bragging right with 2 on one shot. The best weekend we ever had was a little over 100 for the weekend

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Now...how long until one of these quasi-animal rights "my pappy always taught me not to shoot anything you don't intend to eat" types shows up to dazzle us with one of pappaw's little Andy Griffith bits of wisdom?

C'mon, stop lurking...we know you're there.

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Buzz-man your are absolutely right. And I for one have always been one to say, I'd never shoot anything I dont eat......Hey there's a limit. But, since I'm a NICE guy I will gladly send you or anyone a few dead crows pending your shipping cost. ...(giggle)....any takers. By the way there are alot of crow recipes on the net.

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Crow hunting is big fun...........

GS

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Out here in the PRK,, one has to be careful not to confuse crows with ravens. The latter is a big fine just waiting to happen

10. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a raven a much bigger bird? And they have a differt sound. I would think it's no different than holding the trigger on a hawk or owl. The old rule of thumb, if your pulling the trigger you better know what your shooting at. Can honestly say we never shot anything mistakenly.

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

At 150-200 yards telling the difference is not that easy, especially when they share the same haunts. And the size difference is not that big. It's really tougher than it looks.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    buzz-gun, quote: <i>"Now...how long until one of these quasi-animal rights "my pappy always taught me not to shoot anything you don't intend to eat" types shows up to dazzle us with one of pappaw's little Andy Griffith bits of wisdom?

C'mon, stop lurking...we know you're there."</i>

I was thinking the same thing, scrolled down, and BOOF! you already hit the nail on the head.

I say bake them in a pie and offer to share it with anyone who says that.

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have a question for you long time crow hunters - are you using a shotgun or rifle? If using a shotgun, what kind of load do you shoot?

Matt

14. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Buzz, I don't eat crows, woodchucks, skunks, mink,otters,fishers or weasels and Lord knows I've killed them all. If you know anyone who does tell them they can have all mine too, and I'll even prepare them for the table. Any takers?

15. oletymer

oletymer Member

I know some people that use the breast meat in a polenta recipe. They also use Starling breast meat the same way. I have eaten it and it is pretty good.

16. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The best way to tell the difference between a Crow and a Raven is when they hit the ground......The Raven makes a bigger thump!!! It's the Michigan way...

GS

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    oletymer, I'm willing to try it. If any have decent meat left on them and there are enough bodies, then it might be worthwhile.

Matt, I used to use a rifle. That was back before the feds listed the crow as a migratory bird (many winter in Mexico). They were thick in many fields. I preferred a 22-250 because it was flat shooting. Now we have to use shotguns (state law), and there is a season. But no bag limit.

The game manual says that crows raiding crops may be killed at any time, according to federal law. But the state will not clarify anything about this exemption or methods, and refers people to the feds for answers. All I know is I don't want to run afoul of a vague exemption and lose my license and gun. Pity, because large numbers of crows can be very destructive.

One web site attempts to explain all this, see link.

18. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Ive had to eat crow more than once in my life! Mike Moloney

19. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I wish you guys up north would do a better job,the winter time flocks here in East Central Florida are immense and they crap all over my car! Mike Moloney

20. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Matt-

We and I'm pretty sure everyone else uses a shotgun. You really can't use a rifle if you're actively calling them. They are flying around over your head when you start unloading.

You can get them with a rifle of your back porch when they are sitting in a tree unsuspecting but not when your calling them in.

As far as loads go- some winchester heavy game number 6's. 7.5's will work just fine too, I just prefer the 6's.

I would load the 6's myself but they do NOT like to go through my MEC jr. I can't get the bar to slide back.

Shootrman- I have. I love hunting them buggers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.