1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Choke Tube Cleaning Tool

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I needed to clean some plastic out of some choke tubes recently. I don't know what caused me to think of this but I have a tool that is designed to clean copper pipe fittings preparatory to soldering them together. It has brushes for both 1/2 and 3/4 pipe, one on each end. I tried it and to my surprise each tube was spotless in less than a minute using nothing but hand power with the 3/4 brush. A couple of the tubes were heavily crudded up. I haven't tried yet but the 1/2 might work for 20 gauge. This tool is made by Oatey.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Good idea!

I just use a tapered 16 gauge chamber brush.. or use a 12 gauge for a wrist workout.

MK

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have used a 3/4" copper cleaning brush for a long time. Brushes are usually steel. You can get them at any hardware store or welding supply store. $1-2. Larry Evans

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Would you use a steel brush to clean your barrel? Then why would you use steel to clean your chokes? It seems to me that you would want it to be smoother, and hopefully slicker to reduce sticking in the choke area. Hmmmm maybe want to rethink your logic.

Bob

5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have seen people wrap some steel wool around a bronze brush and put in on an old outers cleaning rod in a cordless drill and run this up and down the barrel with some cleaning agent.It takes the plastic out and polishes the barrel.To each his own.Maybe these guns are pitted and they don't worry about steel on steel.PJ

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A 10 minute soak in mineral spirits turns that plastic into a soft goo that comes right off with an old tooth brush. No risk of carpal tunnel syndrom there. Works on porting too, no need to get out the abrasives.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yes, that's the one.

After reading texaszephyr's post I thought back to the results I was seeing last friday night. Darn. Now my full choke will only obliterate them at 90 yards. It used to smokeball them. Darn.

8. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I use a 12 ga brass or copper or a tornado brush. I chuck it in a hand drill and go to town. Now it works great on the treads on the inside of the barrel. Not the tornado

9. loop02

loop02 Member

Yo can buy a brush at Refrigeration supply house that is for 3/4" O.D. copper Tubing. The ones at Home Depot are for 7/8" O.D. (water line) They are stainless steel and don't damage anything. They don't scratch the barrel like people think. You spend $500.00 for a choke from Wilkerson and then put plastic in it, in the first 25 and then finish shooting the rest of the 100. I clean the choke in my MX2000 every 25 in an important shoot

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Check a Gov't Surplus Store for a .50 Cal cleaning brush. Soft steel and cleans choke tubes with little effort. I think the last one cost me about 75 cents

Big Jack

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

"Clean the choke every 25 shots in an important shoot". I hope that is a joke.

12. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Man, if you're cleaning your choke every 25 shots, you need to throw away the Claybuster wads and switch to Downrange or Duster wads. You don't have to live like that. Imagine shooting hundreds of shells and still having a clean, slippery choke.

Jeff

13. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Best choke tube cleaning tool:

Wads Out Shotgun Solvent

Cleans plastic residue from barrels and wads in seconds. Don;t know why this has not been mentioned.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use a 12 ga brsuh and wrap steel wool around it ( fine steel wool) and stick it in my cordless drill

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I can't remember the last time I had any appreciable amount of plastic fouling in my barrels/choke tubes. I do scrub the chamber area and choke area with a bronze brush just for good measure from time-to-time.

I use Downrange wads almost exclusively these days.

ss

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, I clan my bbl after I shoot it using the tried and true Fuzzy rod.But if I buy a gun that is fouled I put a 10 ga brass bore brush on an old cleanting rod and then stick that into my cordless and blast away. But I do spray the bbl wiht RemOil first. 30 seconds and clean as a shistle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.