1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Great buy, but is this an upland shotgun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

A friend sold me a 12-gauge 'Rizzini B' O/U shotgun at a price I could not resist. It has two triggers, 27½-inch barrels, on which the fixed constrictions are .0385 (top) and .020 (bottom). The top barrel has one star (full?) and the bottom barrel has three (mod?). A very good-looking shotgun overall.

The left side panel is engraved 'Rizzini B' with a duck hunting scene, the right side panel is engraved 'Marcheno V.T.' (city & province) with a grouse hunting scene, and the bottom of the receiver is engraved with what looks like snipes.

It's a very lightweight shotgun, and it's very easy to take in the field. However, the constriction of the top barrel (.0385) has me stymied; isn't that a bit too much choke for an upland gun? (It's great on the trap range, though!). Under what circumstances would I need a choke of .0385 in a 27½-inch barrel? Going after pheasants from 50 yards?

Is this an upland shotgun? Thanks for your wisdom.

Porcupine

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Definitely not a grouse or quail gun. If it had 3 inch chambers it might be a good duck gun but lead shot has not been legal for years.

You can always take out some constriction. Putting it back in is the tough part.

HM

3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Leave it alone and shoot it the way it is from the factory. They know way more about barrel chokes than anyone on this site. I shot .043 for years thru a old TM-1. Got me to the 25.5 yrd. line. I have found that tight chokes in bird hunting help since many folks miss the first shot. Hope this helps, Roy

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Sounds like a pheasant gun to me.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

upland and you can load spreader loads if you hunt woodcock or grouse and thick cover

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You have a really nice long range pheasant/upland gun, good for scratch hunters, those with flushing dogs that don't stay close, and runners that decide to get up 50 yards out.

If it were my gun I'd open both chokes. I like to eat what I shoot, and those chokes would put way to many holes in my food at normal upland ranges. I wouldn't want anything tighter than .015" and .025" in a 12b. I'd prefer Skeet2 and .020-.022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.