1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Great 1-ounce recipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I wrote in an earlier post about switching from a 19.4-grain load of Clays to 17 grains. The primer is a Winchester 209 with a Downrange XL-1 wad in an STS shell. Well, I made the switch and this load is sweet! There's a noticeable reduction in recoil and yet the breaks are great--it pounds targets. A highly suggested load that travels, according to Lyman's, at 1180 fps. I have to thank those here who suggested I make the switch.

2. shrek

shrek Active Member

that is indeed a very nice load,

works about the same in an old school AA hull too.

3. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

That is a great formula.

I prefer to use a Federal primer and ½ grain less powder to get the same velocity. Peak pressure is about 1000 PSI higher on the DR Mfg. test bench (9600 PSI Winchester vs 10500 PSI Federal) and the standard deviations for P & V are lower (14/12 Win vs 7/6 Federal) as well.

Mike

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Nice!!! And now try dropping to about 16.3-16.5 grains. Pick up only one bag of actual Rem TGT 1 oz wads & watch what happens. Just try one flat like this against what you are now loading I have shot multiple 1000's of this load over the last 20+ yrs. Used to use 700X. Clays gives less recoil. Chrono at 1140-1150 from a multitude of guns. Also one of my 4 standard loads for POI & patterning a gun. Believe it or not,the recoil diff in that 1/2 to.6 grain less is very noticable.

5. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Interesting observation, RunGun. I'll be sure to give it a try--I have a friend who recommends the same grain weight, and he smashes targets.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a great 1 ounce recipe too...

One ounce of rye whiskey in a mug of hard cider.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Brian. Only one?

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

pigkiller,

That's exactly the load I use. Exactly. It will crush singles targets.

I have had Kevin Lewis chronograph that load and it is actually a little slower than 1180, but I don't plan on changing anything.

Honestly though, I would not recommend changing the wad. The XL-1 is perfect for this load. The Remington TGT-12s or the Downrange equivalent DRRT12 will certainly work fine, though. Call Kevin Lewis at Downrange and discuss with him before changing the wad.

9. plux001

plux001 Member

What Mike said.
    I also use the same load (for my son), but with Fed 209A primers.
    Less powder, same velocity....
    It is really sweet.

Paul

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Dang Brian, you beat me to it.

I was going to say, that if I ever switch to a one ounce load, it will be Bacardi Rum. But one ounce would be a light load indeed.

All good!

Hauxfan!

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Brian, that sounds like a variation on a "boilermaker."

My daughter studied a semester in Dublin, Ireland, and says an "Irish Car Bomb" is a shot glass filled half with Baileys Irish Creme, and half with Jameson's Irish whiskey, and drop it in a glass of Guinness.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's actually called a Stone Fence. A mug of hard cider with a shot (or two) of rye.

The drink goes back to the early 1800s. In those days it was a mug of hard cider with two shots of any amber spirit (whiskey, brandy, rum, etc.) to fortify it. Applejack was commonly used in the old days.

It got its name because it sneaks up on you quickly, and the result is like running downhill into a stone fence.

Legend has it that the Stone Fence was a favorite of Buffalo Bill Cody.

I like it cold in the summer, room temp in the fall, and hot in the winter.

13. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

timb99; I'm guessing your daughter heard about that at the library??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.