1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grease vs Oil for O/U lube ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Today at the trap range I needed a little lubrication for my Citori.

It being 10 degrees F and windy, I was a little lazy about walking back out to the truck for my gun kit with its grease.

A fellow shooter offered me some gun oil, which I used.

Is the occasional use of gun oil for lubricating an over/under an absolute no-no ?

2. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Any good oil will work. I like grease on the hing ans oil on the rest of the gun.
    Perazzi recommend oil only.

3. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Perazzi recommends oil and grease--

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Pretty much what krazia said. Not a Perazzi shooter but shoot a Browning BT-99 and a Citori Trap shooter. Super Lube for hindge, Break-free/CLP light oil on everything else for the most part. Do most of my cleaning with Kroil.

Shot in fairly warm weather here in PA today @ 45 deg. w/ light breeze, could easily have been 20 deg. and windy.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Grease on the hinge pin (or trunions) and on the knuckle/forend. Oil everywhere else - and not too much of either!.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Any clean lube beats dry and dusty.

7. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

A few years ago my new Perazzi came from the factory with a tube of Perazzi gun g rease packed in the case. When I took the gun to Giacomo for a little adjustment, Giacomo recommended Tri-Flo synthetic oil. Factory says one thing. Giacomo, THE Perazzi mechanic says another. Go figure.

8. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Giacomo still says grease on the pins and shoulders---oil elsewhere---

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Dupont Krytox GPL 205 on the hinge pin and fore end. You won't believe how well the stuff stays where it's put.

MK

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I use SuperLube unless I have a cold, then I use Vicks.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Watch where and how much oil you put on, make sure it doesn't run into the wood.

Light grease is fine, it stays where you put it.

The most important thing is: Clean it before you lube.

12. AEP

AEP Member

I never use grease. If machinest were to put grease on the ways of a lathe or mill that person would be fired. I consider a fine shotgun to be like a fine lathe or mill.

Grease holds dirt which in turn will wear out a good piece of machinery.

I use Mobile Vactra Way Oil. It will not become sticky. It is designed to work under high pressure, and clings to metal. At the end of the days shoot it can be wiped off or left on and wiped off prior to the next shoot. Of course one would want to re-apply prior to shooting.

When applying you don't have to drown the parts in oil. A few drops on each of the matting surfaces will do, and your fine shotgun will thank you for it.

Just my opinion,

Andy

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Shooters aren't constantly dumping metal chips and shavings onto their guns and then having to remove them, either. If you want a oil to replace grease at low temps, use chain saw bar-and-chain oil. It's good to about -25º F.

Krytox grease is stable (won't thicken) to -33º F.

MK

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

That's the type of work I'm in. I would never consider Vactra on any of my guns. The poster has concerns at a low temp. None of our lathes and mill aren't running anywhere close to freezing or below freezing. That stuff is heavier the heck and becomes sticky to boot. I'll check the tech sheet on temperature range.

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

I doubt it matters at all.

Any "crap" will do. We are not running high speed, high loads, or temperature extremes. And we lubricate the wear points every time we use it.

Much ado about nothing. KISS.

Much more important to have a really cool dispenser that is easy to use and a cute little brush to spread the goop with.

Don Verna

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Wiped clean after each use and replaced with clean lubricant are the two top priorities. The type of lubricant is your choice (preferably with rust inhibitors). Lubricant being the key word!!

Bill

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The word here is clean... Everyday..after you shoot.. clean your hingepins and wipe down the rest..A few times a year.. soak the receiver in mineral sprits and blow it out with air...

The issue is NOT..what oil to use.. It's removing every trace of grime on a very regular basis..and then relubing with clean oil and grease.. Dan,Giacomo,factory..all say use grease on the hinge pins..barrel ears,forend lug,and where the forend rubs the receiver.. Good oil on everything else..

Dan has certain testing he does.. I have certain testing I do..We all have our favorites.. I'm not going to get in a pissing battle over product.. They all work good..if you start from a spotless beginning... The people I see at the GRAND every year with the most wear...ADD oil and grease..often.. but never really CLEAN their shotgun.. They think that a once a year cleaning is enough...WRONG...

A coffee can filled with mineral sprits is a shooters BEST friend.. It will insure longevity of their firearm.. regardless of make..

When I'm at the range..I use a can of WD-40 to clean the hinge pins..with a toothbrush..I do this after I boresnake the barrel.. Then I oil everything before putting it back in the case.. When I assemble the gun to shoot again.. I apply grease to the hingepins..barrel ears,forend lug,and where the forend rubs on the receiver.. I drop a few drops of Tri-flo in the trigger by the sears and cocking feet.. a drop or two by the firing pins and top lever..install the trigger.. and shoot..

Any Perazzi shooter is welcome to visit me at the GRAND.. and Dan or myself will be happy to show you exactly what to do.. Shoot well and often.. Mike

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

grease AND oil

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

It seems that when this topic comes up, we are really discussing the lubrication of pins, where fore end iron meets the reciever, etc. That is, lubrication for assembly of a broken apart gun. For me, grease is the only product to use, HOWEVER, I break down my gun to case it after every use and hence wipe the grease and gunk off everytime...everytime...everytime...got it LOL.

For trigger groups, etc, I spray with solvent, blow with compressed air, spray with oil, blow with compressed air. Doesn't matter much what oil, Rem oil works fine for this.

I'm being a little bit redundant as BigBore said it well above.

Oh, I'm a bit baffled as to how a lathe compares to gun assembly...think more of bearing surfaces and I think grease will come to mind as the more sensible solution.

Cheers

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Many years ago, a well-known shooter was extrolling the virtues of using oil in place of grease on hinge guns. I have to admit I was swayed but didn't quite trust what this man was saying as he also has been known to claim that cleaning guns wears them out, so since I owned several Krieghoffs at the time, I asked Dieter Krieghoff. I pointed out that oil works well protecting automobile engines that are under many more times the stress of a firearm's moving parts and are subjected to dirt from combustion that guns are not and asked why that same oil is not recommended for the hinge pins on Krieghoff shotguns.

Mr. Krieghoff pointed something out that I had overlooked and the person preaching about using oil on hinge pins failed to mention. Engines (like lathes) have pumps that circulate oil and keep a fresh film of it on all those parts at all times, guns do not. That film will wear through on a gun's parts because it is not continuously replenished as it is in an engine.

The recommendation Mr. Krieghoff passed along to me was to use grease on hinge pins and othern monobloc-to-receiver contact areas and a light coating of oil on the gun's action and other contact points.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best grease for shotgun hinge pin
best gun grease for over under
best lube for o u shotguns
best over under shotgun grease

grease for over under shotgun

greasing over under shotgun
hinge pin perazzi
over under shotgun grease