1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grease formula for Patern board

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moose!!!, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

We have a grease patern board at our club. What is a good formula to use to paint on the board to hide the last shot is grease still enviromentally and most effective substance to use for this application and how should it be mixed Thanks for your input

2. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I think our club uses wheel bearing grease from the auto store right out of the tube and a paint roller to spread it on. Works pretty well.

3. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Our club uses a grease that is rated for high temperature use. Regular wheel bearing grease melts and runs off the steel pattern board pretty quickly in the hot Florida sun.

4. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Where is the cheapest place to get black grease?

5. DC Claygunner

DC Claygunner Member

5 tubs of grease, 1/2 qt of white pigment paint, 1/2 qt. of synthetic motor oil. Mix this up in a 5 gal pale. Out to 40 yards you see the patteren as soon as you pull the trigger. After we got a coat on the board, we have not added any more. Over 2000 shots so far on one coating. At this rate we have enough grease for the next 20 years.

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Straight White Lithium (cheap) from the tube, and a short bristle brush - KISS.........

Kip

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

You will laugh when I tell you what I use, "CRISCO" The yellow Crisco with butter in it. It's cheap, works great. I take it out of the container with a big putty knife and roll it on with a paint roller. Does not get hard in any temperature.

The guys at the gun club would ask, what type of grease is this as it works great? I would say, you don't want to know.
    Steve Balistreri

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Use a paint roller wider faster coverage, sheilded from the weather.

GB
    DLS

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Or you can use cheap spray paint.

10. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

One gallon of white Lucite paint (water based), one quart of 30W motor oil, stir with an electric drill. Put an expanded metal paint strainer in 5 gallon bucket with a paint roller. Make sure the 5 gallon bucket has an air tight lid . . . priceless!!

Michael Stephenson

11. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Gun Fitter,

Not going after you, but the guys who use the CHEEP WHITE PAINT are the one's who screw up a good pattern board. And then leave a bunch of garbage at the board.

Ron Burdick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.