1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

graystone finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trench12, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trench12

trench12 TS Member

Is the Beretta Graystone finish commercially available? Is there another name for the process? Sure would like to have this done to rifles and handguns. That stuff wears like iron!!

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

There were some past threads on this subject and I did a quick search for them, sorry, no luck. As I recall, the graystone finish cannot be duplicated outside of the factory. Bill Malcolm

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Ionbond is very good and pretty close. Contact person is r.flynn@us.ionbond.com

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The stuff Tony DeSimone is using is less silvery. I'd say it's somewhere between nitrite and greystone.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I believe it is a nitriding of some sort. I've been trying to read up on a lot of the latest nitriding process. I believe Krieghoff is now using a nitriding for there engraved recievers. The process they may be using is to give the "French gray" look, but with the durability of the nitriding.

Some process are producing several different colors depending on the gases used. The black and gray seems to be getting some traction with the racing world.

I'll be researching this more.

Doug

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Check out the guys above. This is what H-S Precision is doing to most of the tacticals they sell.

WW

7. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I just had 2 BT-100 receivers plated by Tetra Tech in Anahein with their hard chrome finnish. It is a matt silver, very hard, wears like iron. I believe it is approximately a Rockwell "c" 72. They do have a webb site. Bob Knight

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Bob: What did they charge to do the BT's?

Whiz

9. trench12

trench12 TS Member

Thanx for the responses- checked into them and they are close but no match. I want the exact equivilant of the Beretta finish. This is one of the best kept secrets of all time. There has to be a commercial application somewhere somehow. I can't believe that the only ones in the world to use this process is Beretta. This stuff is bulletproof. Somebody somewhere along the line must have unlocked this secret. thanx for your input! TG

10. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Sometimes industrial secrets are difficult to learn.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me correctly Beretta called it a coating not plating.

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It is a nitriding process. I think another term that's used is plasma coating. The material that is being applied, is applied at the molecular level.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Nitriding is a term I use to refer to the coin finish on some fine older guns. This is achieved with diluted nitric acid.

The so called "plasma" coating process has been around for a long time. Sinks and some pans have been enamel coated by spraying them with fine glass beads and then melting the glass into a smooth film in a furnace.

You can coat a gun receiver with small granules of a hard metal and then melt the metal to form a coat over the receiver. The theory is simple. But, to do it correctly, you better know a lot about hardening metal and have your furnace set to the correct temperature. I do know enough about heat treating metal to know that I don't know enough to try it.

Pat Ireland

14. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Check out EABCO.COM - They have a finish called "French Gray" that looks great and it's really tough!

AndyH ;-)

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I believe Arthurs is usinga plating process....and highly likely it's a chrome plate. With the beaded surface, chrome gives you a "gray-ish" color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.