1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gray AA separates

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

At a dove shoot Saturday my nephew was shooting an 870 with gray AA reloads. On a pass he fired at one dove and chambered in another shell and the gun did not close all the way. He would have shot again if it had but thank goodness it didn't. The brass had been ejected but left the hull in the barrel. I don't know for sure but he thought the hull had been loaded twice. I had never run in to this but told him to look at every hull before he shot again just in case. Has this happened to you? I shoot auto's a lot with reloads but I feel that the hull will not allow another shell to chamber but it has me concerned. Jackie B.

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've had separation occur with Federals and Estates but not with AA. I suppose it's possible with any shell once in a while. That's one reason hinge guns are safer for trap shooting than autos or pumps; you can check the barrel after each shot.

3. GRR

GRR TS Member

You can check back to passed threads and find this problem is not uncommon. I have about 4000 grey AA and I load them twice and toss. I have had this problem several times and sometimes the tube lodges half way up the barrel, not good with an 870 or 1100. It has only happened to me after 4 reloads and sometimes the base wad seperates and sticks in the barrel. When all my AA are gone I'am switching to Remington....They load much better and longer.

I can't believe Winchester has not corrected this problem by now.

From my observation at the grand Remington out sold Winchester 10 to 1.

Gary

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have reloaded a 1000 unit batch of gray AA's 8 times and have not experienced a hull or wad separation yet. I use them only in a break open gun. Some have failed due to splits or weak crimps. This batch seems to be working well - I do not have lot numbers as I got them used. I think I will pitch them after 10 reloads. Note: these are loaded at 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 dram - 1 oz light loads so they may be seeing less stress than normal.

I had a Federal GM hull separate (one third of one side) at a shoot yesterday. So I guess it can happen even with a "good" hull.

I have over 15,000 AA's. I hope I live long enough to use up these "defective" hulls. With the rumors about AA problems I will not use them in a semi-auto. Why take the chance?

If you are using a semi-auto or pump, sell them to strangers or give them to your friends with break open guns. I can be very friendly to people who give me hulls and I will pay shipping and a nominal handling charge for your trouble.

Don

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

What Don said. RG

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have had the brass pull of on Federal papers many times.

I have had the brass pull off on old style AA's.

I have had the brass pull off on new style AA's.

Yes, there is some base wad funniness, I had one move forward in the case.

But the HS Plastic is much better than the old stuff.

And I shoot Nitros for Handicap.

HM

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Last year a guy I shoot with was having a problem with his 1100 tearing the brass off AAs. When I looked at the hulls, it was obvious he'd reloaded them many times.

All I shoot and reload are AAs, I've yet to have any problems. Other than my handicap reloads, most of my stuff is in the 8000-9000 psi range, so maybe that's why I've got AAs that have been reloaded 9 or 10 times, and look they could go another 3 or 4.

~Michael

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to have a problem with AA's, except me and a few others. I've been shooting them and reloading AA's for 30 years and I can't recall any problems with the old or new style. And I shoot and reload them until the crimps start spliting or I get a pin hole in the crimp areas. I think this issue is an old wives tale.

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Looking at this, there's no shortage of winners using AAs.

http://www.shootata.com/pdfs/2007_grand_trophies_withguns.pdf

~Michael

10. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Back years ago (like 15 to 20) I used to reload. I would load my AA's 15 to 20 times. They would be falling apart before I'd throw them away. Now, I am hearing guys tossing them after 2 loadings cause they just dont hold up anymore. Steve

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

OK all you guys send me those evil and dangerous once fired AAs for disposal. I'll even pay the shipping. You can be sure they will be properly disposed of, Right after I load them 6 or 8 times.

Jim

12. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I can get AA hulls at the club anytime the hull hopper is always about half full of them these days. There was a time you did not see AA hulls anywhere just laying around.

Now Remington, and Federal especially, are almost never around to be picked up.

The reason for the Fed shortage is they are just more expensive than Remington shells to start with, and a lot of stores don't even carry Gold Medals on the shelves. But when you do they are $.50 to $1.00+ a box ($1.80 for papers) more. And with shooters as you can tell on here $0.50 is a big deal when it come to ammo.

Rock

Jim

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Shot410GA, I am proud for you. I prefer Nitro Hulls for 12 ga over anything else I have. However at least 80 pct of the hulls I have for all four gauges are AA's of all colors and fashions and will continue to be used by me. I was only expressing a concern, not trying to start a pi--ing contest. I shoot 410 and 28 ga AAHS hulls almost all the time when shooting skeet and they will reload twice as many time for me as Remington hulls. It was just that I had never experienced the brass separating from the hull as it did. Yes, I have a couple of thousand 12 ga AA's from light gray, dark gray, red and orangish colors that I will continue to save until I need them. From this I learned to pay closer attention to my hulls in the future. Jackie B.

14. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Federal and Estate seperation, I have never had any seperation of these hulls and have shot thousands. Even the reloads, no problem.

I would rather reload Estates before AA's.

STS are probably the best today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.