1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gray AA Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dog easy, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Is there such a thing as a AA HS 12ga or just straight AA 12ga? If there is an HS, do they load the same as the regular AAs?

Shoot safe, John

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

All AA hulls use the same data. The "HS" headstamp simply means that they are the latest generation of this hull, construction-wise.

MK

3. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

The original AA hull was a one piece, compression formed hull. The current AA hull is a two piece hull. It has a glued in base wad. As stated, loading data is the same. The original one piece style hull was discontinued somewhere around the year 2000. Colonel

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

dog easy:

You asked, "Is there such a thing as a AAHS 12ga or just straight AA 12ga"?

Olin Corp (better known as Winchester) currently makes AAHS hulls. The prior version was a non-HS version known as compression formed double A's.

As Unknown1 and the Colonel stated, loading data is the same for both.

Following is a more complete explanation. I'll apologize in advance for the length....

The original AA hulls were produced in three colors - red, silver, and a very few in black. They were made of a single piece of plastic.

The originals were manufactured by placing a small blob of hot plastic (about the consistency of chewed bubble gum) inside a steel die that acted as a mold. A tapered steel ram was pushed in to the die mashing the plastic to the shape of the die and ram. The plastic was more or less simultaneously smooshed on to the brass head. These hulls were described as compression formed because they were produced by compressing the plastic.

AAHS hulls (red or gray) consist of two pieces of plastic. The first is the tube. Tubes are made by extruding hot plastic into an endless tube. Imagine squeezing a never ending line of toothpaste out of a toothpaste tube.

Tubes for individual hulls are cut to length from the endless tube. A second and separate piece of plastic - the basewad - is then inserted and pushed to the bottom of the tube where the brass head is added.

The internal shape and dimensions of new style two piece AAHS's are almost identical to old style compression formed AA's. They were designed that way specifically so that all the existing reloading data and components would work in either version.

If you care, old style AA handicap shells were silver in color and often called silver bullets. They are easily distinguishable from the charcoal gray AAHS handicap hulls. Similarly, red AAHS can be distinguished from compression formed red AA's by inspection.

AAHS are normally a brighter shade of red and look 'slicker' than compression formed red AA's. If you're not sure, look inside the hull with a bright light. You'll see the separate base wad of new style hulls. And... those base wads are often a different color than the red tube. I've seen white and light gray in addition to red. However, even if the tube and base wad are both red, you can still tell the base is a separate piece.

Hope that helps. Drop me a note if you have more questions.

sissy

5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

When this new style hull came out I heard that there was a pronblem with
    the base wad coming loose, truth or rumor started by Rem.??

6. Unknown1

My experience is that most of the few base wads that moved in the intermediate design hulls were moved by primer insertion during the reloading process and not by firing. The HS hull design quietly addressed any such problem by locking the base wad into the hull at the brass with a pair of annular ribs.

MK

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

High Strength AA grays and reds all reload the same as the older AA reds and grays.

However, what you may find is that you may need to lower your precrimper down about 1/8" to close the hole that could be prevalent in the final crimp on the HS hulls.

I have thousands of both kinds and see no problems other than the lowerd pre-crimp.

Both come out beautifully on the P/W.

WW

8. JES

JES Member

I read somewhere or heard about seperation is this a problem or not. I am new to reloading sorry if this was answered somewhere else. Thanks for the informaiton. Jan

9. setter

setter Member

Jan,

Above is one discussion, there have been several.

10. Unknown1

Whiz,

Something else I've found helps the crimping of these hull is to switch to the smooth cone paper hull crimp starter. It's a 30 second switch on a 900 and the smooth cone pushes more plastic into the center. I made a spacer from a thick nylon washer that I use to space down the crimp started assembly to the same height each time I switch to loading AA hulls. Using the smooth cone I can get better ( more completely closed) crimps at that setting.

MK

11. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I am just getting into reloading shotgun shells. I bought a bunch of AA hulls from 2 different guys.

I have Bright Red, Duller Red, Silver and Charcoal colored hulls. Here is a pic of both types together. Top pic. New versions on right.

I cut one of each in half just to see what they looked like inside.

The Bright Red and Charcoal colored hulls are definately new style with the 2 piece plastic. However the material appears to be fused toghether during the forming operation making the plastic portion of the hull essentially one piece. I could not get the point of a #11 x-acto blade under the juncture, as opposed to "field load" 2 piece hulls which you can easily disect.

The dull red and silver hulls are definately one piece plastic. Note the difference in the two hulls on the right of the LOWER pic below as opposed to the newer versions on the left of that pic. Also it appears to me that the newer hulls are stronger than the old style by virtue of the 2 layers of material fused together which is thicker than the old one piece design.

Both of these styles of hulls have the plastic portion of the hulls mashed into the inside of the rim of the case to lock it into position.

Also the hulls all have real live Brass Bases, as opposed to the Aluminum Plated Steel Bases of the cheap field load hulls. I found out about the steel bases when I cut them apart with a wood bandsaw blade and sparks flew. The brass bases cut like butter.

Hope these pics clarify the differences between these 2 styles of hulls

Randy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Unknown1

Maybe we can clean up the photos a little and put the hulls in the same order...

<center>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

13. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

How'd you do that? Randy

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I prefer hulls #1 and #2. I'm glad I have a stash of thousands of them still once fired. I refuse to mix the new and older style AA hulls. I'll switch to 100% Remington when the stash is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.