1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? graphiteing homemade shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by a budine, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a budine

a budine Member

Acquired some newly cast shot - but it is not graphited at all. !. Does it need to be. 2. How much should I add per 25# bottle? 3. Is there a best method of doing so if needed?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use very little graphite, less than 1/2 teaspoon per bottle. Shake well before using the shot. HMB

3. alwayslearnin

alwayslearnin Member

I bought a couple hundred pounds of shot like that. I took a 5 gallon bucket that had a heavy-duty, air tight lid. I put in 25lbs of shot and added graphite. Then it's a matter of rolling the bucket around on the floor, picking it up and turning it over and so on till all mixed. I didn't use a measuring spoon just added graphite in small amounts until it matched the color of Lawrence brand shot that I had. Worked out to be 2 capfulls worth off a 1lb bottle from a John Deere dealer. Which if you haven't already purchased graphite thats the best place to do so. Either way it's not very much graphite, much less than you'll think you need. 1/2 teaspoon sounds like it would be a good place to start.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

be very sparing with the graphite. I used a half teaspoon for 50 lbs.

You have to tumble it for a while, and it will look like new shot if you started with clean stuff.

HM

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What's the best way to clean dirty stuff??

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you have a case tumbler use it. About 1/4 teaspoon and 15 lbs. Tumble for about 10-15 minutes.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You can't use too much, it will just be messy.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

If you use too much it will really make a mess. It will get on everything. The hulls will get dirty on the outside and it will get all over your hands, clothes etc. I use a cement mixer and 1/2 tablespoon per 25 pounds is plenty. Jackie B.

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

From someone that has graphited tons of shot, less is always better. I use a cheap rotary mortar mixer I bought at Harbor Freight and do 75-100 pounds at a time. The batches I do are larger than what you are likely doing but principle is the same. Find a way to allow you to tumble it. The 5 gallon pail is a good idea for small batches mentioned above in this thread. Where you make a big mess is using too much graphite for too short a time tumbling. 1 teaspoon per 100 pounds has worked for me for a long time with my method of polishing/graphiting. Looks like new shot when I'm done. Sometimes not quite as round lol but nice and shiny like the factory stuff.

Jeff

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I washed mine in a small drywall mixer, 5 gallon size. Just turned it in water for a few hours, then rinsed and spread it on a tarp to dry. Back to the mixer for graphite, Half tsp to 50, turn for an hour or so.

My shot came out of our lake, and in additrion to oxide it was silty. Came out very nice.

HM

11. smittys800

smittys800 TS Member

Was wondering if it would be wise to tumble RE-claim the same way, as I have a huge 3 CF tumbler I used to use to polish my aluminum parts I used to make.
    Smitty

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Smitty, If you want to get them round again use a bunch of SS 1" balls. Kind of turns the tumbler into a ball mill. I did it on some not very good homemade shot, and it came out a lot more round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do you hve to tumble home made shot

homemade shot graphite