1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

graphite powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blarney, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blarney

blarney TS Member

I am experimenting for the first time with reclaimed shot. its very dirty but I cleaned it up as best as possible. I am using about 6oz of graphite powder per 25lbs. I talked with a guy at a new years day shoot who told me too much graphite will over tighten the pattern. I asked him how much was too much and what did he mean by overtighten a pattern. He couldn't give me a coherant answer. so, how much graphite is too much for 25 lbs? Will graphite adversely effect pattern control?

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I would love to overtighten my pattern but don't think graphite will do it. Seems to me i've read about a 1/4 teaspoon should be a sufficient amount of graphite.

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a friend that gets good results and only uses about a teaspoon full per 25lbs.

Ed Yanchok

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Ed Y has it correct. One TS will do all you need for 25 lb of shot. I have a 50 cal ammo can and I put about 8 LB of shot and some graphite from the TS. Some more shot some more graphite and the shot and graphite. Close the can and shake it up. I would like to have a cement mixer but I'm waiting to find one at a good price.

5. Gary De

Gary De TS Member

I just recently finished 2800#'s used 1/2 teaspoon per 25#'s.

The shot had quite a lot of dirt build up and needed to be washed first, used a small cement mixer with about 2QTs water per 25#'s, let dry and mixed one more time in mixer with graphite.

Gary

6. Lugerville

Lugerville TS Member

I put the shot in my tumbler, 15 lbs at a time with just a "puff" like maybe an 1/8 teaspoon and tumble it for 30 minutes. It is very hard to tell the difference from new.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A little dab will do ya, my super exact method is to throw about a 1/2 bag of washed shot into my vib. cleaner and grab two pinches of graphite flake with a needle nose plier and throw that in. The 6 Oz/25# you were using is a mega overdose but I'll bet that stuff makes your loader run smoother than it has in a long while. Don't worry about any downside in shooting that stuff you won't have any performance issues because of the XS graphite. Just use less next time and make your supply last longer.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A little dab will do ya! No more than a half teaspoon per 25 lbs. With fairly clean reclaimed, 1/4 tsp, or less, will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooters graphite powder