1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphite on reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I have had some problems with bridging and read about adding some graphite to the shot. Where can you purchase the graphite and about how much do you add. I am not talking about adding to a 25 lb tub lets say enough to fill the tall MEC bottle. That is manageable for me. Does the color of the shot change. The shot I have has been washed so its a very light grey.I was going to fill a 8 lb shot bottle about 1/4 full and mix it in there and dump into the shot bottle. Any thoughts are helpful.TY striper

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

after using about 6 thousand pounds of reclaimed, I believe my system is the best so far.

You can get graphite cheap from a John Deere dealer, in quart bottles for less than 5 bucks. The hardware store stuff is about 5 bucks a tablespoon.

A half teaspoon is enough for 40-50 lbs. of shot. You should have a small mixer or something like that to tumble and polish, and run the shot with the graphite for about a half hour.

It should be washed and dried first. I used shot from our lake and did it in batches, about a five gallon pail at a time. I would dry it on a tarp in the sun.

I'm almost out, can't wait till they mine the lake again.

HM

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I also add a teaspoon of resizing wax used for center fire metallic cartridges. I put the shot, the graphite and the wax in a plastic 8# powder container and shake it up to mix it. I do about 12 lbs at a time. HMB

4. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

What does the wax do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.