1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

graphite for shotmaking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by federal paper, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Best place to get graphite for shotmaking, can't find it locally in anything larger than a couple ounces?

2. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

I have looked for graphite at five automotive parts stores and they all had only small tubes of it. I still am looking for a good quantity supply source.
    Rich

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

50lbs for $140

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Go to any place that sells tractors and you should find it there. I bought two bottles close to a quart size each for less than twenty dollars at our local John Deere dealer and they will probably last me the rest of my life. Farmers use it on their planters etc. Jackie B.

PS. I made the mistake of putting four ounces in 100 pounds of shot and you wouldn't believe the mess I made. It got all over my reloaders, hands and shotguns. One oz would have been more than enough. LOL

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Do a search for Dixon Graphite. Restockit.com will come up as a vendor. They have various size containers and grades. 3 lb of superfine is about $45 (that is a lot of graphite)

6. blaster

blaster Member

You can go to John Deere. They have it for corn planter

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

John Deere dealer.

Use a teaspoon per 100 pounds. A quart bottle was 3 bucks when I got it, maybe more now.

HM

8. TC

TC TS Member

Most of the farm supply stores like Tractor Supply, Orschelins, and local Co-ops will have it also. A little goes a long way!

9. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

Try CAL-Ranch Stores, IFA, or NAPA. You can find the quart size bottle for about $8-$10. Ditto on one teaspoon(or less) per 100 pounds of shot.

10. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Thanks for all the input, once i found it i would have been sure to add to much and had a good mess.

11. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

One teaspoon or LESS per hundred pounds. What a mess it makes if you use too much. It will be on your shells, on your loader , on your hands, on your boxes.........for months. The benefit is negliglble compared to the mess it makes. I quit using it altogether. Only thing I noticed was, the shot was a different color, and I didnt have that black stuff on everything I own related to loading and shooting. Not really needed in my experience.

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have a 2lb coffee can I use for a tumbler. With the can 3/4 full of shot I add about a 1/2 a thimbull full and tumble. Comes out polished and lubed. Wild Bill

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

FaRm implement store

14. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200539515711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Try here free shipping I cant go buy it this cheap around here I bought a can of this in February works great will last me years if I dont knock it over lol. I leave a plastic spoon in the can dip a lil out for each bactch in the tumbler. Tumble 10 mins or so looks great!

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.