1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Granting Leniency to IL Governor Ryan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Trappy12, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I don't know how much press Senator Durbin's letter to President Bush asking him to grant Leniency to ex Illinois Governor George Ryan on his charges is getting outside my area, but I have mixed feelings about this. Anybody have any interesting views on the whole thing? As of the moment I'm up in the air with the whole thing.
    -Trappy

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, let's see what the buck-toothed Illinois Union members have to say about it...

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Never saw the letter from Durbin but ryan was convicted, his conviction has been upheld on appeal - apparently the evidence is overwhelming against the man. I assume durbin is citing the mans age and health. I know it was white collar crime and I know real bad and violent criminals get lesser sentences but do not confuse this with innocence. The man was up to his eyeballs in corruption. this was not a single instance of poor or wrong judgement.

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I feel that President Bush should commute the former Governor's sentence, allowing him to be released to live out his few remaining years with his family. It just does not make sense to punish an elderly man any further. Commuting his sentence would strip him of his state pension, that along with the time he has served and the humiliation of the felony conviction seems punishment enough.

I would add that a full pardon, by the President, would not serve justice in this case. The former Governor has shown no remorse for his crimes and maintains his innocence. In his mind he was simply "doing business as usual" in Illinois politics. Reward your supporters with lucrative jobs and contracts, and brush any investigations of wrongdoing under the rug. Unfortunately for the state and the taxpayers nothing has changed from Ryan's term to the current administration.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Let the bastard rot in prison. Any scumbag politician, regardless of party, should get zero leniency.

6. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

buzz-gunn,

This buck toothed Illinois Union member, as you so "intelligently" put it, is outraged at the mere suggestion of any form of clemency for George Ryan. The withering deficits within the state budget today can be DIRECTLY traced back to Ryans terms as Governor aaand his highly touted Build Illinois initiatives. As stated by another reader here, he was tried and convicted of crimes that led to some horrific deaths on the highways of this state. But his greatest and most tragic contribution is that through the outrage he generated in Illinois voters, we have Rod Blagojevich as our governor. BUT, he will most assuredly be pardoned by the great political giant, G W Bush because Ryan served as Campaign Director for Bush in Illinois. It's his last chip to cash in and Banker Bush will certainly accomodate him.

Ryan is right where he deserves to be. Let him wither away and suffer as he has made the tax payers of Illinois do.

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

As an Illinois resident, and union member, I do not think he should be pardoned. He has hurt the Republican party greatly by his misdeeds. If it was me or you in jail, do you think Durbin or Bush would care one bit about us? It is sad the way these politicians conduct themselves.

8. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

I argee with 100straight. The only reason Ryan was elected was because Chicago Mayor Daley did not support the Southern Illinois Democrat, Glen Poshard for Governor. I normally vote Republican but did not vote for Ryan. There was so much going on in the Office of Secretary of State at that time that I just could not believe that Ryan did not know about it.

I say let him stay in jail. He lived high on the hog all his life let him suffer.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As a lifetime resident of the great state of corruption AKA Illinois why should a convicted fellon be givne a break? Let him rot like the thousands of other rat bastards that fill our jails. Steal food to feed your family and they odds are unless you have the cash to buy your way out your in the cell to stay. What message does letting him out send to our youth? That money or connections get's you out of most anything.

10. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

"I feel that President Bush should commute the former Governor's sentence, allowing him to be released to live out his few remaining years with his family. It just does not make sense to punish an elderly man any further. Commuting his sentence would strip him of his state pension, that along with the time he has served and the humiliation of the felony conviction seems punishment enough."<br>
    <br>
    I don't think there is punishment enough for his crimes. Don't forget the children that were killed on the road because of the "license for bribes" that were directly tied to him in his conviction. I'm sure the parents and loved ones don't think he has served "punishment enough" and neither do I. Harv Shell

11. cle

cle Member

It is the supreme irony that it was not the driving abilities of the poor, bribe paying immigrant truck driver, but rather the mechanical condition of the truck, that caused the Willis disaster. And it spiralled down from there for Mr. Ryan. Even his 'duck and dodge' diversion with the executions moritorium couldn't save him.

Like a fool I voted for the guy consistently. It was that or let Mayor Richie run the State alongwith the City and Cook County. And at least so far Ryan doesn't have shoeboxes full of cash tucked in a closet like one of his predesessors.

Welcome to the most corrupt state government in the U.S. Home to the WSRC, but you don't want to look too deeply there either.

For a clear statement of why this guy should be kept right where he is take a look at this: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-oped1202ryandec02,0,6074399.story

CLE

12. sallyjane

sallyjane TS Member

If the humiliation of being convicted of a felony is punishment enough, I guess we can save some money and close all the prisons. Its amazing how forgiving some people are when they are not affected by a crime. And please don't bring God into this; He would side with the dead children in that van.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Ah for the good ol' days when Ryan would only have to scrounge up $400k and Slick Willie would let him walk. I hear they may be coming back.

14. Kent

Kent TS Member

I like George Ryan a lot. His major crime was he got caught. He was no worse than any other politician we have had in Illinois.

I was at a meeting back when he was just our Secretary of State and he was giving a speech to our group, one lady started to choke on her diner and everyone just froze and did not know what to do. Mr. Ryan got down from the podium and gave the Heimlich manuver(SP) and probally saved her life.

I would give him clemency.

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I just love the way the liberal media spun the entire Willis case to the point that the former Governor Ryan was to blame. You would think that Ryan had handed the license to the driver himself. There are many different reasons that dreadful accident occured, a horrible set of circumstances, but it is easiest to blame Ryan for the death of those children.

Ryan was never tried or convicted of the Willis incident anywhere but in the media. Shame on you for believing what they put out.

I was no great fan of Governor Ryan, and this is one of the very few times I agree with Durbin, but enough is enough. Ryan is 74, diabetic, and finacially ruined. Commute his sentence and let him go home to his wife.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They should of given him the chair for all the world to see ... They only covicted him on what they found out about ...Make the world a better place and give him a lethal injection ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. jd288

jd288 TS Member

George Ryan was a big supporter of the assault rifle ban. If he gets out let all the old and ailing sons and husbands go too. He has shown no remorse and won't. He's hard core. Its a slap in the face to the jury and judge who did their duty. They might as well let Bush be the judge and jury and no trial. Well we'll see how dubba does on this one. I hope i have to eat my words,but doubt that. OK Bush its time to take the high road. Let all on here be proud. Get the excuses ready boys. Its coming. There is no defense. Hope this is not another sad day in the legecy of GW.

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Some interesting statistics on Presidential pardons and commutations on this website of the Department of Justice.

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/actions_administration.htm

Interestingly enough Harry Truman, usually considered a hard nosed leader, pardoned more than anyone since 1945.

Of course the liberal media could blame him for the deaths of the Japanese at Hirosima and Nagasaki. As sure as George Ryan killed those kids.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I still find it interesting that a part falling off a truck on an expressway lead to the investigation and conviction that Ryan has received. For those of us that are over 40 and have lived in Illinois does the name Powell,Paul ring a bell? He had shoe boxes full 8 million if memory serves! That's what was turned in by a close friend after Paul died. Now the very Democratic party thea was part of the Ryan lynch mob is back in power they would like poor George Ryan to have his sentence commuted! Why when that van carrying that family exploded wasn't the Dodge/ Chrysler company taken to task? Ryan did wrong and deserves to pay for his crime in full, that said interesting that Blagovich whom is close to being taken down would like Ryan to recieve a lesser time in the can!

20. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

There some real winners on Clinton's pardon list,,

notice some don't have a description of the offense???????(Marc Rich, Susan McDougal, John Symington)?????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.