1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

granite floors! how do you stay warm on ice?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

mi casa es su meat locker! last year i had nasty old carpet and stayed nice and toasty all winter long. this year i have granite floors and i'm already freezing my ass off and it hasn't even gotten cold yet, just the mid 30's. what do i need to do? cover the tile with cheap, slippery, static producing rugs? thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Turn your heat up.

OR

[​IMG]

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I ripped out my granite floors and there was beautful carpet underneath!

-Gary

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Granite floors? Are you sure you aren't dead and being interred in a mausoleum?

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The heated floors are very, very nice.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Heated floors are very nice but they must be put in under the granite. Give the floor time to heat up. Rooms heat at the top first. During this time, you might get used to a cooler floor. Make sure you have good insulation under the floor. Shop around for a thick fuzzy pair of house shoes.

You can put some area rugs around but be careful. They will slide on a granite floor. Seriously think about other options that might solve this problem for the next four months. By that time, the problem will be solved and you won't have to worry about it again until next Winter.

Pat Ireland

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have come to the conclusion that I hate granite floors, hardwood floors, and tile floors. Hate them. I don't care what the prevailing home decor wisdom is.

I do not like that they are cold, and they hurt my feet.

Give me wall-to-wall carpeting, and I am happy.

BTW, my house here in South Africa? Wall to wall TILE, except in the bedrooms! Love the house. Hate the tile.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Wool slippers?

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think you screwed up.....

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

People take for granite how cold them floors are.

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Same problem in my house. Had tile floors. Tried rugs and they did help some but still colder than all get out. Finally after suffering for a few years we ripped out the tile and added heating under the floor. Cost a bundle to redo but now its all warm and toasty.

There is a retrofit floor warming system that you can do without tearing up the flooring if your house is not on a slab. I dont know if it works or what it costs to run though. Google "retrofit radiant heat"

12. grntitan

"Make sure you have good insulation under the floor"

Pat--You would have to do this before hand as well. If your gonna replace the insulation underneath, might as well "do it right" and install the pipes and the floor will be toasty warm.

Matt

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Matt- Many floors can be insulated from the crawl space or basement without disturbing the floor covering. Hardwood and stone floors are quite common where I live and floor heating is uncommon. It does get cold in Virginia. This morning all of the bird baths in my yard were frozen. I fear my birds will fly down to Silver Dollar soon and I won't get to see them until the Dixie Grand next month.

Pat Ireland

14. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Go to LL Bean online and check out their leather slippers ,works well on my tile floors! Mike Moloney Melbourne FL

15. grntitan

Good point Pat.

Matt

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you go with area throw rugs make sure you use double faced tape on the perimeter. It keeps them from slipping. Bulge.

17. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

L L Bean... lamb skin inside (nice and fuzzy) mocasins....nice and toasty!!

Phil

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hydronic, under the floor, heating is not as expensive as it sounds, and will work perfectly under your granite flooring, PROVIDED your home is not on a concrete slab. All it entails is running the He-PEX, or similar tubing under the existing floor (as shown in the picture above) and covering that with a good quality insulation to assist in retaining the heat. A couple zone valves, a couple thermostats, and a new water heater will solve the problem. While it will take a while for the floors to reach temperature, once it does, the system will keep it there as long a you have it set at a constant temperature. Trust me, if you can afford granite floors, you can more than afford hydronic heating. How do I know this? I sell it for a living, and have for the past 35 years.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A cold granite floor can be very aggrigating.

20. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

We put ceramic tile in our rec room last year, replacing carpeting. You won't find too many places that recommend putting in wall-to-wall carpet or even hardwood flooring over concrete when it's below grade. It's just a matter of time before you get seepage someplace, and then it's a mold problem. In our case, it was a stupid downspout problem and some heavy rains. My wife has asthma problems, and mold is a health issue for us, so the carpet had to go.

You're right - it's hard on stocking feet and cold in the morning. We solved the problem by buying an area rug. Looks better too.

Had a fraternity house room in college with in-floor heating, and hated it. I couldn't study in the room without having my feet off the floor. Too damned hot. Might be OK as auxiliary heating in houses that also have conventional forced air heating, where you can control how hot the floor is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.