1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grandmas Famous Meals

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ok the thread on the Muskrats got me remembering my Grandma and meals she would fix when i was a boy. This may sound repulsive to some but growing up i knew no different. I still have realtives that fix many of these. I'm just wondering how many of you guys/gals have had some of them. I'm not much of a cook so i do not know how Grandma made it. I will also mention that since i was old to decide what i eat, i have not had any of these. I did however have a fondness for the fried squirrel brains as a boy.

1)Raccoon Stew

2)Muskrat Stew

3)Fried Squirrel Brains

4)Beef Tongue

5)Deep fried beef brains

6)Fried Chicken Livers and Gizzards

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Love the chicken gizzards and livers...i always get chicken and turkey hearts too at the poultry farm up the road...I love a good rare steak and a turkey egg omelette...delicious!!

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'd rather eat those than Lutefisk & Lefsa.

Cod jellied in lye served on buttered cardboard.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thanks Brian...i just lost my appetite..what little of one i have anyway!

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am gagging just typing this, but my grandma use to cook and eat "Tripe".

Beef tripe

Beef tripe is usually made from only the first three chambers of a cow's stomach: the rumen (blanket/flat/smooth tripe), the reticulum (honeycomb and pocket tripe), and the omasum (book/bible/leaf tripe). Abomasum (reed) tripe is seen much less frequently, owing to its glandular tissue content.

Unwashed tripe

Unwashed (or "green") tripe includes some of the stomach's last content, giving it an unpleasant odor and causing it to be considered unfit for human consumption. However, this content is desirable to dogs and many other carnivores and is often used in pet food.[3] Though it is called "green" because it has a high chlorophyll content, in reality it is often greyish brown as a result of other undigested compounds.

For human consumption, tripe must be washed and meticulously cleaned. It is ideal to boil it for two or three hours in water with salt (1 tablespoon per litre of water) to soften it and also clean it in the process.

My uncle use to come home after work and ask his mother if she made him a big bowl of tripe? I have to lay down now, before i pass out.
    Steve Balistreri

6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

when I was younger my Mom made a soup called Chinina(?) we would go to the Duck store in Phila. pick a duck then duck is inserted in a funnel where its head is pulled thru and cut off and blood drained into a mason/pickel jar.

Back home duck,blood and apples put in a pot to simmer.The soup ended up being brown in color thin but very tasty. What I really rember was driving home with the mason jar between my legs so it did not spill and thinkin man that poor duck...... sure gonna taste good.
    Jim

7. grntitan

Well i'm not feeling as odd as i use too. Still nobody had the fried squirrel brains? Must be a southern thing. I'm originally from GA.

8. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The meals I miss are turtle soup and turtle stew. It was my job to get the snapping turtle. The bigger the better. My grandfather would butcher it and we would have it the next day.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Back in the day when I did coon hunten and trappen, baked barbequed coon was commonly prepared. Also beaver and muskrat. Had a friend that could prepare a beaver in such a fashion than many who partook of it never realized what they actually ate.

The squirrel brains never happened and ain't ever going to happen. Got to hangen around with some of the hillbilly's over in MO once upon a time. It was a gourmet cooking in having squirrel for dinner and the most favored part being brains. I was told that it was frowned upon to not consume them and possibility of one heck of a fight to start. Never any fighten and I haven't eaten brains to this day!

Ate a heck of alot of chicken livers in my day. Works good for fish bait as well.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have had a lot of things that I didn't know what it was at the time, tasted good and thats all that mattered ... I dated a Squirrel long ago, she didn't have a brain and at the time that didn't matter either because she had everything else ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. oletymer

oletymer Member

WPT you madcap.

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Add rabbit kidneys to the menu you just have to remember one thing and this is very important! Boil the pee out of them first!!!

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Menudo has hunks of cow stomach in it. Yecccccchhhhhhhhh.

Other than that I like Mexican stuff.

Then there was Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies with her Possum Gizzard Gravy.

HM

14. Model32Shooter

Model32Shooter Member

Grandma prepared lots of "beef" for us when the 5 of us were young.

It was horse, and it was delicious. Grammie was a good cook.

We didn't know it at the time. 40 years later our parents told us that it was horse.

Can't imagine we would have been happy thinking we were eating a relative of

Trigger, Fury, Buttermilk or Black Beauty!!

Still remember it tasted good!

The good old days!!

Bob

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ah yes Menudo! A Mexican I worked with for several years was visiting his brother in Corpus Christie and they went out to his brothers land in the country and came upon the neighboring rancher who had had a couple of steers killed and buthered right there on the spot. Louies brother told the fellow it could not have been Mexicans as they had left all the good stuff behind. He was referring to the stomachs. LOL

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'm from Alabama. We ate tripe, turtle soup, rattle snake, crawdads, Chit'lins, fried squirrel, fried and baked rabbit, frog legs, beef tongue, chicken livers and gizzards, and more. We ate all kinds of game and fish. My grandma was the only one that ate squirrel brains, though. I will warn you about eating any kind of brains...look up spongiform encephalopathy and you will be much more careful about even eating meat that has been tainted with brain or nervous tissue.

Later on in life, I've ventured on to try more exotic foods, like fried insects, octopus, squid, chicken feet, a Vegemite sandwich (nasty!), mountain oysters, and escargot.

Sushi is food from heaven. My favorite is Unagi (fresh water eel).

17. grntitan

WPT--That was Beaver not Squirrel. :0)

Devi---Your right on the risk of eating brains now. Anymore, i won't eat anything that can taste me or think about me as i'm eating it. I was too young to have a say so back then.

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

My grandma's fried squirrel recipe (I'm going by memory, but I'm pretty sure that I have it right), and this is assuming that you have gutted and skinned the squirrel and soaked it in salt water overnight:

Rinse cut up squirrel in water, then simmer in a heavy skillet in some more fresh salted water (not too much salt) until fork-tender, but not falling off the bone. Rinse again in cold water so that it doesn't burn your fingers...you are going to have to handle it.

In a bowl, mix flour, salt, garlic powder, pepper, (or whatever seasoning that you like). Pour some milk into another bowl. Dip each piece of squirrel in the milk (all over), then in the flour mixture (to coat all sides), then fry in a little oil in the bottom of another heavy skillet..just until it is browned on all sides.

Now lower the heat, put a lid on, and cook for for a while until done. If you want it crispy, at the last 5 minutes increase the heat and fry, but not too much as to dry the meat.

You can try shake and bake, but I've never seen it done. I don't know why it wouldn't work, though. And my strong suggestion is that you use iron skillets for even heating.

Nana used vegetable oil, but I always thought that peanut oil would be good.

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My kin ate blood pudding.......YUCK!!!

I did a Google on it and it wasn't exactly what I thought it was. It just sounds pretty bad.

Hauxfan!

20. grntitan

I'm not Scotish but i know what Haggis is. Looks nasty and not something i'm interested in trying as long as there is other things to eat.

I'm suprised i didn't see Beef Tail listed by anyone. When my in-laws and me butcher our two cows for the year my Father in-law cuts the ass out and saves for a neighbor. Nothing goes to waste. I mean virtually nothing. My father-n-law about killed me when i shot the one cow to be butchered with my 30-30. It basically ruined the brain and toungue he said. Didn't know we were saving it. OOPS!

They normally use a .22LR and draw an imaginary line from ear to eye and ear to eye. Thats your dead zone bullseye. If done right they drop in their tracks and don't pump the meat full of blood(so they tell me). He said i could have the honors and he would get the tractor to pick it up when dead. I wasn't aware the .22 was loaded and ready leaning against the fence. I didn't know any better and grabbed my Marlin 336 out of my truck and proceded to drop her dead. He was not happy and i have not been given the honor since. LOL

I only eat the burger and steaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.