1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand winners gun brands

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

After reading the thread on Krieghoff guns I am curious as to whether there were ever any winning shooters that used Brownings or any other less expensive guns and/or shells?

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

There were a whole bunch of Grand events won with Model 12's and Rem. 31's....and didn't Rudy Etchen shoot an 870?

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Leo Harrison has 5 HAA Grand American Titles and 12 HOA Grand American Titles and many more impressive Grand Records. He shoots a Beretta DT10 but used to shoot a Remington 1100.

4. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Mark Arie shot the Marlin 34 and was one of the Best ever. It's at the Hall of Fame.

Harry

5. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hi Dave,
    Both of my sons shoot Browning. Foster shoots a Browning XT combo and it was the gun that he shot the 1100 straight with Leo Harrison in 2008 when they were declared co-champions in the Clay Target Championship at the Grand.
    Matt shoots a Browning Citori plus and he has won many singles and doubles championships using it.
    Browning makes a very competitive product and it CAN and WILL go the distance.
    Thanks,
    Char Bartholow

6. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

At the Sunny South Handicap, the big six-day shoot at Houston, Tex., Mark Arie, of Thomasboro, Ills., gave another splendid exhibition of his superior trap shooting ability by winning the high amateur average for all targets thrown and also the Sunny South Handicap, premier event of the week. In winning the big handicap event, Arie broke 94 out of a possible 100 targets, although handicapped by shooting from the extreme distance 22 yards. He also made high score over all 1140x1205 94.6 per cent.
    He was using a brand new, specially built, Marlin hammerless trap gun, D grade (Model 28), which he had never given a real tryout until he started shooting at Houston.
    Arie made the remarkably high average of 96.17 per cent, on all his registered 16-yard targets for 1913, breaking 1587x1650. Selecting a new gun, for 1914, Arie decided that the Marlin hammerless trap gun was the best gun with which to endeavor to better his remarkably high average of 1913.

He used his Marlin Model Model 28 (introduced in 1913) to take Gold in the 1920 Olympic Games. The gun and Olympic medals are shown on p. 396 in "Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them" by William S. Brophy but is mislabeled as a Model 43 which was not introduced until 1922.

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

It seems me up until a few years ago, Shotgun Sports magazine did an annual audit of Grand winners and maybe through third place for each event. The audit was comprised of gun and ammuntion manufacturers used by the winners.

I was surprised, several winning scores were shot with what would be considered by many as mid to low range equipment. I do recall two years running someone shooting a Huglu placed in one or two events each year.

It's always what works for you that counts regardless if it cost $200.00 or $2,000,00.

Surfer

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

tks---Click on the link i provided above and scroll down to about the middle of the page. Under the section titled "II. NATIONAL TRAPSHOOTING RECORDS" there is a record titled "Longest Shootoff in ATA History". Its not the whole story but you can view the record.

[​IMG]

After breaking 200 straight in the Clay Target Championship at the 2008 Grand American Handicap, Foster Bartholow and Leo Harrison III set a new ATA shootoff record after four straight nights of smashing targets. At the conclusion of 36 rounds Bartholow and Harrison were declared co-champions with 900 straight shootoff targets, 275 more that the previous record.

9. Mapper

Mapper Member

Elmer Duggen shot a model 12, but took his good fortune and bought a Krieghoff.
    Reg, J. from Illinois broke the first 100 from the 27 with a model 12. Rev Roebuck used a borrowed model 12 that was half trap gun and half field. I cannot remember every winner i saw, but seems like about everything was represented. I shot next to a kid who broke 100 in the first half of a singles event with one of those Berettas that broke clear into.

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Same as always. Its the Indian,not the arrow. Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.