1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Week Attendance up 21.5%

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Grand Week Attendance up 21.5 % over last years Grand week

Entries for 2011 was 15389
    Entries for 2012 was 18739 for an increase of approx 21.5 %

This is a sign the economy was better more shooters making the trip to the Grand

And possibly less attendance to smaller shoots and wanted more bang for their buck.

And with the Martin's Generous contribution to the lewis class and the $100,000
    Shoot out for Handicap shooting.

Singles were up 773 entries

Doubles were up 1300 entries

Handicaps were up 1277 entries

For Grand Week Entries

The doubles participation exceeded the handicaps by 23 entries, this suprised me, with the $100,000 shootout.

Why the increase in Doubles?

What is your answer for this?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Some shooters probably shot the doubles as an event to kill time while they were there. There is not much else to do around the Sparta, so you might as well shoot another event that the average shooter does not routinely shoot.

Hit 'em hard,

John

3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I would expect doubles participation was up because it was shot by shooters who wanted to put up a number for the Martin Lewis on the total 1000 targets.

By not participating in doubles, anyone who played the Martin Lewis would be left out of the final number, and the daily Martin for doubles. I expect that is where the participation boost came from.

Handicap got the boost last year with the $100,000 shootout.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Did you go to the Grand and not shoot? How was your motel room?

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

And wow...Longshot's "ATA crankiness index" is down by 22%.

This is news indeed!

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The increase of 21.5% is actually a good sign especially since there has been no (as in NONE) improvement in the economy which is still on a slippery slope ... Let's all hope Obama gets gone and things start to improve in the near future, see what happens then ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Let us all consider the REAL reason why attendance was up at this year's Grand American.

1. First and foremost......donated MONEY.

Not surprisingly, there were plenty of folks willing to toss a hat into the ring for the chance at some big money. Thanks to the Martins for their generosity. This led to more people shooting more events, in order to increase their chances of either qualifying for the $100,000 shootoff, or to be eligible for HOA.

2. donated MONEY.......again.

The only drawback to the generosity of the Martins is the obvious effect it had on shoots at smaller clubs ; even State and Zone shoots. I can assure you that there were many who curtailed their shooting elsewhere, and banked those dollars to spend in Sparta. This full effect of this is yet to be felt, and I fear it will only magnify itself as future years pass, thus actually negating positive growth of our grassroots.

3. DONATED MONEY......is it becoming clearer ?

Anyone ; I do mean ANYONE who has the notion that a "bolstered economy" played a part in the increased attendance at the 2011 Grand American, has their head buried in a much darker place than the Illinois prairie.

SERIOUSLY................the economy was better, and that made more people shoot ? Clueless - at best.

8. cp

cp TS Member

K8080433SC
    You could not have written your thread any better. That's a fact Jack

9. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Whatever the "cause", I bet you guys are all thrilled to witness our premier event prospering more & more at Sparta every year are you not? I know I sure am!

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

better weather this year

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If it was all donated money why did so many people leave on Fri. and not shoot the GAH??

The only clueless persons are those that think they have the answers. Just conjecture based on what???

Don

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

well said Bill!

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

42 shooters decided not to shoot on Sat. The last 3 handicap events were #18 2,276 shooters, #20 2,317 shooters, #22 2,275

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, everybody i talked to said they would be back next year long before the Martin's made their announcement of donating even more of their money. They didn't even announce that until the $100K shoot-out. The money may have brought them but the well run shoot is bringing them back.

Stay home if you choose but the fun is going on without you.

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

If you were there to notice people come and go as the week progresses. If you were two days drive from home and have to work Monday, you leave Friday afternoon and have to skip Saturday. I am sure there were that many who had to leave, and many also who came in just to shoot Saturday.

Good weather played a part in the upturn, Grand week itself was cooler than average for the area. Plus the shoot was well run, the management and staff did a great job.

16. PETER PERFECT

PETER PERFECT TS Member

GRNTITAN YOU ARE 100 PERCENT RIGHT

1!

17. John55

John55 Active Member

I'm sure the donated money brought in some shooters who might not have showed up otherwise, no doubt of that. But, I think the greater effect was that it made many shooters who were coming anyway decide to add a few extra events they might have skipped under "normal" circumstances. This was the case for me personally, as it was for several other shooters I know.

18. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I hate to be a pessimist but the heydays of trapshooting like the 70s, when there were 800 squads for the GAH are in the past, regardless of location.

The economy will have to improve two fold before we see those days again if ever.

Regards.....Gerald

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

toolmaker you don't think people came in just to shoot Fri & Sat. You may have had a net of 42. Realize that the majority of the shooters there knew they didn't have a chance at the GAH or the $100,000 BUT they were there shooting at what they like to do.

Don

20. John55

John55 Active Member

The big days of the last century can be brought back, but only if we get more young shooters involved. An improvement in the economy will surely help too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.