1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Weather

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Smoke, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

Bring your shorts folks. 96 to 100 degrees, it looks like a hot one.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I generally bring my Vandalia clothing. It's always similar to what was....

3. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

The Bob Allen girls always found a way to keep cool in the heat at Vandalia. But I'm not sure I can shoot in a short white skirt.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

You apparently haven't been there, Big Bill. The likelihood of finding a tree to sit under is about the same likeihood of me winning the $100,000.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm up there now.. Every day is just plain HOT.. showers late in the day.. Humid.. Not friendly weather..

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Showers make green grass and grow trees....remember all the complaining about no grass about 5 years ago? There is green grass now. Most of the trees that didn't survive the initial planting have been replaced. There are shades over the ole trolly wagons behind the traps. The events center has a nice air conditioned place to sit. The score sheet annex also has shaded benches, as does the walkway in front of the vendor buildings. NO REASON TO BE IN THE SUN FOR LONG.

7. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

Thanks Karla- We are headed there tomorrow, will look you up.

Joe Nester

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Karla, is most of the complex wheelchair accessible?

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

NWS Weather Statement...click the link..Sparta is located in Randolph County.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Thank goodness we don't leave Kansas until Wednesday.

11. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Looks like the weather will moderate later in the week. Should be pretty pleasant after the heat wave passes. Shoot Well & enjoy the GRAND!

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've been up here the last 2 days.. Saturday was sweltering.. Today.. hot.. but not so bad... Dan gets here Monday evening.. My bench is set up and ready to work.. Tuesday morning we'll be starting early.. and taking guns in for repair... Hope to see you all up here.. All Good.. Mike.. BTW.. my computer is on if anyone wants to E-mail or Skype

13. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Recurvy-

There are several chair shooters there and they seem to have no problem. I spent the "08 Grand with Butter and, other than one restaurant in a small town someone took us to, he had no problems at all. None on the grounds at all.

Bob

14. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

100 to 105 WOW

15. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I am sure there are many valid reasons why the Grand is and no doubt will continue to be in Sparta. There no doubt that 1 option to hold it is available, Sparta just from the physical size. I can't imagine what it takes to talk someone into building a 100 trap houses with all the equipment for basically 1 event a year.

That said, and acknowledging it must be in Sparta, why does it have to be in August? End of shooting year, but to me that would just be dates on a calendar. Start the year and end it differently, so the Grand "est" of all shooting events was not a melt down every year. Do it in the spring, do it in the fall. I don't know the local weather, might be better in December?

I know from going south in the summer, there are just places that are brutally uncomfortable, and I suspect Sparta is one of these. I simply choose to not put myself at risk doing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.