1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand trap help - nice job!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by scott calhoun, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I shot Wed thru Sun at the Grand, and I've got to say I was very impressed with the trap help. I shot from bank 1 all the way down to bank 21 over the five days, and didn't have one bad experience with the scorers or loaders. The scorers knew how to score, paid attention, never left the chair unless necessary and were always waiting for the next squad to arrive. Never had to wait for a house to be loaded, never ran out of birds, and never had anyone pop out of the house unannounced while we were on the line.

The conditions were tough for the shooters, but even tougher for the scorers/loaders who couldn't sit in the A/C between events.

I don't know who hired them or how they trained them, but whoever/however - it worked.

Scott

2. monroesc

monroesc Member

Wow Scott you were one of the lucky ones! We had target centers punched out of our singles targets and sent the trap setter/mechanic to take a look and said the targets were fine (Next target out was missing a center!). I was first squad out in handicap and had to wait for a scorer to decide to come down and keep score on the second trap. Yeah it was hot for them, but it was hot for us too waiting for things to get corrected.

3. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I too had a great experaince, I shot Fri - Sun the help did a great job under harsh conditions.

Ronbo

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Monroe -

I'm not sure how the mechanic could tell the targets at the bottom of the stack were OK or not without unloading the entire machine. I saw broken targets during the week, but nothing out of the ordinary compared to what I see at other registered shoots.

I'm sure that others suffered problems similar to yours, but my view as that those were pretty minor/infrequent overall. If those were the worst problems you had then I'd still consider that to be very successful.

Scott

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

Just how are you going to file a complaint about something you didn't witness or know anything about? Just wondering.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

They are kids, and they are trying to do a good job. 99% are doing quite well. Also ........ they do not get a bonus this year for sticking around the whole grand.

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shot the Grand this weekend. I thought the trap help & scorers did a great job on banks 2 & 8. I would not want to do their jobs, looked worse than walking the bean fields when I was a kid. ANY shooter who swears at any scorers or trap help should be removed, no reason for it & no excuse for it. It stinks that they get no bonus for showing up everyday, especially in those conditions. My hats off to them.
    Harv Shell

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The shooters should never cuss out the trap help under any conditions or circumstances, thats the managers job ... It used to be the absolute toughest job at a club when they had to pull targets as opposed to the way it is today with the CVRs ... I disqualified a shooter at the Old Phoenix club for jumping on one of the trap help and advised him that if there was another incident a complaint would be filed with the ATA and he could leave the grounds of his own free will or mine which ever came first ... I figure only a really dumb (as in stupid) shooter is going to piss off the scorekeeper (judge) and then have to shoot on the trap that person is working on ... Be kind of like peeing into the wind in a Hurricane if I was sitting in that chair ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

bring your scorer a drink or a small tip . sitting in 100 degree heat all day is no fun.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer TS Member

Shot Thursday, Friday ,and Saturday. I too was impressed with the help. I don't believe we had one problem with either the help or the targets. I personally thanked every scorer i had and comented on what a great job they did. Any targets i missed, -I MISSED.

Matt

11. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

On the R.J. Stuart web site, as part of the webcast, the ATA is looking for scorers at the Grand. The heat MUST be taking a toll on all the scorers.

12. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

When I was shooting i mounted the gun and was about to call pull when out of the corner of my eye guess what i see? Yeah one of the people in the trap house peaking there head around the house, about half way through the line. I tell ya what if that don't throw you off I don't know what will knowing that any second that morron could poke his face out again and get his face blown off.
    But besides that incident I think they did an excellent job.

13. DeadDuck13

DeadDuck13 TS Member

I shot 6...right in front of the grand stands between buildings 3 & 4 and was amazed at how well those kids did. Never had to wait for the house to be loaded, the scorers were always there, and the rounds moved by at a pretty good rate. The coolers were always full of ice water, and there were always plenty of cups. There were cooling stations, and plent of tents set up for shade. The heat made it TERRIBLE for those kids, but they stuck with it and did a wonderful job.

14. mcv

mcv Member

I, too, have heard several horror stories about the trap help. Most of them are new this year (last year's kids got burnt on late pay checks) and had very little training if any. Help them . . . teach them . . . but don't try to abuse it (sp?). Most of them don't know what failure to fire is and most don't mark it on the score sheet.

The Grand American would not happen if we did not have line personnel. They work in very difficult conditions and don't get paid enough for it. Of course the ATA has cut down on the number of personnel to cut down on the payroll. But who is suffering? The shooters have no idea what is going on behind the scene. Scorers are walking off the line . . . literally out of the chair and off the line. Some of them have no relief on their bank so they sit there the entire day. No, there was no bonus offered this year. But I did hear that they may offer one now to those that stay the rest of the week. They also got screwed on overtime. The ATA took away the over 8 hours overtime and split the pay periods in to three periods. Told the kids that they had to pay overtime over 40 hours. That is just wrong. The ATA can pay any way they want as long as the pay minimum wage (OR HIGHER) and pay overtime over 40. Nowhere does the law say they CAN'T pay overtime for over 8 hours. If anyone from the ATA is listening . . . give it back to them. They so deserve it!!!!

Why don't we all step up, locate the bank sup (the one with the radio) and ask them if you can offer your help by relieving a scorer AND loader from time to time. Even if the bank you inquire about has enough personnel . . . your kindness and persistance to help would be greatly appreciated.

It's hot. Damn hot! Give them a break. Give them a Gatorade. Give them water. Tipping just makes it look like you are buying a good score. It is usually frowned upon.

15. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

7.50 an hour is pretty cheap. we pay our trap boys 10.00 an hour, our scorers get there targets for free. we have 4 traps and 2 trapboys at our registered shoots and the boys get plenty of breaks.

16. laura!

laura! Member

We were there Mon - Wed - hotter than you know what. The trap help did great. Had only 1 incident of them forgetting to change the squad number. Did have an incident of a loader walking across an active trap field during afternoon handicap - the guy was clearly suffering from the heat and was close to passing out - they were supposed to have been relieved 2 hours prior and were still waiting. The scorer was also the same one we'd had that morning (same bank) and was way past overdue for a break. In that heat, the fact that these guys were still out there really impressed me - I can't honestly say whether I'd have stuck it out if I were them. There was no problems with scoring and they did a great job calling out loudly enough.

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

This is the only shoot that I've been to where the trap help read the score sheet and had our voice calls moved to our exact HC yardage for each shooter...ready to go. They've done a really great job. I have not seen a puller make a mistake yet.

And I have heard about shooters being vebally abusive to the help in the shooter center, too, complete with F-words being thrown around. I am surprised at that kind of behavior from anybody that calls himself a sportsman.

18. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Last year they were provided with bottled water, iced down and ready. This year they were told to bring their own. One of the boys on bank two told me his super was told by the "big super" at the morning meeting that the water cost $30,000 last year and that cost was being eleminated. I figure four cases of water per bank per day at $4.00 per case, times 12 days, times 27 banks, comes to $5184.00. Someones blowing smoke, if this rumor is true.....

19. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

BIG POPA - I hope you shot as well as you attitude towards the score keepers is. Thank you and the best of luck to you. We certainly need polite people like you in the sport. I hope to meet you someday and thank you personally. - Jim Elliott

20. airborne

airborne TS Member

I was only there for the first 3 days with a SCTP team I coached and 1 other day to shoot with the grandson and his friends. The heat was brutal and the help was great. They scored well and were friendly. Maybe some of the complainers should get up in the chair for $7.50 an hour in that heatand see how they make out. I would bet they have never done it. Jack Aichele

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.