1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Target Speed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mcv, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcv

mcv Member

Has anyone seen a radar gun being used by the target setters at the Grand? Our current President set very specific guidelines for target setting and had that rule put to print in the current rule book. Why are they not following the rule. Makes you wonder how fast those targets really are by late afternoon.

Remember - if you don't like the targets - ask for a reset. The target setting committee is instructed to set the "most breakable target" & "make the shooters happy"!!

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is now 5:00 AM. Go to the line in another 45 minutes and you will see the Grand targets being set by speed.

Why would you think that targets set the correct speed in the morning would be too fast by the afternoon ?

Pat Ireland

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Bystander, why not purchase a Radar gun and check them yourself? Now if you were to find a target that happend to be a little slow would you call for the target to be reset? Pat what are you doing up at 5am?
    Shoot well, Jake

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

On thurs aft I watched an individual go down the line in a golf cart and stop by each scorer and check the targets w/ a radar gun. This was during the handicap event.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

j2jake you don't understand it is easier to complain where there is no problem cheaper also. I am sure that if he had volunteered to help set targets they just might have taken him up on his offer. Once again easier to stir the pot.

Bob Lawless

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Bob, well stated. Jake

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

ivanhoe, well said.

8. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Did they run out of eggs?

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Pat,

It's been my experience that at least Pat-Trap (rubber spring) targets set to the correct speed in the cool morning might well gain 1 or 2 mph in the heat of a hot summer afternoon and require you back off the crank a turn or two to bring 'em back in spec's.

John C. Saubak

10. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Seems like Bystander has the perfect name.

Stand back and complain but not really know what the true situation is.

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Generally they did not seem to be gaining much speed in the heat of the day. Sunday in the handicap about 2 p.m. the squad in front of us asked for the targets to be checked because they thought they were hot. The setter arrived and gunned them at 41.8, that is within the acccepted range. No change was made and the squad proceeded.

The setters seem to be very prompt and willing to make changes as conditions warrant. The facility is so large it seems that no standard height is correct for all the traps as the terrain and wind affect the targets differently in each area.

Nice to see you are still around handlepuller. Ron

12. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Same here Ron.

I wish I was in Sparta but as people say, maybe next year.

Saw your pic from the Illinois state shoot in Trap and Field, good shooting!

Hope you knock them dead in Sparta.

John

13. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Must be good target settings. Almost every handicap was won with a 100, some
    more than one. In first two years I believe there was only 1 from 27 yards. Maybe I am wrong. - Jim

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Pat.... John Saubak is absolutely right on the money. I can guarantee you that any Pat Trap, with the rubber spring, set for speed, at 5:00am in the morning will be at least 2-3mph faster in the late afternoon. This has pretty much been the case at every trap club here in the Pacific Northwest that I shoot on a regular basis. It is mandatory to have the traps checked, and the speed re-set for the handicap if the target setting committee is doing their job correctly...... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Same here Dan and John - same experience with Pat Traps in Ontario, Canada as well as in NorthEast USA speeding up as they warm up.

b.

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

We never experienced that much of a change at our club. We always checked targets at the end of the first event to make sure settings were correct. Very seldom did we have to make changes. - Jim

17. Hauser

Hauser Member

John C. Saubak

Thats been my observation as well.

Jerry Hauser

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Daily target inspection. They not only check the speed but also the targets.

AJ100

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I set targets early in the morning and I do not see a big change during the day. But, when I am checking them during the shoot, I am well behind a squad that is shooting. I stand between post one and two and only count the speed of targets that are straight away or nearly straight away. I could be getting a little error. But, as long as the targets are 42 +-0.5 MPH, I leave them alone. At our next shoot, I plan to accurately measure the speed in the morning, between events and at the end of the shoot. I should have some numbers after August 24.

Pat Ireland

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Heat the rubber springs with a hair dryer first....that ought to shut up the neophytes that have no idea what they're talking about anyway.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.