1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Target Requirements

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FormerMarine, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

Am I reading the Grand program correctly?

It says "1000 Handicap targets in the 2008 target year", there are no last year requirements to be met?

2. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

From the program under Clasisfication and Rules and Regulations it reads: "Shooters who do not have a total of 1,000 handicap targets registered with the ATA in the current year will be assigned 25 yards or their current yardage, which ever is greater". (Current year would of course be 2008).

The part I like, as I am a Senior Veteran, is: "Handicap target requirements are waived for Senior Veterans, making them eligible for trophies and monies".

Hope this helps.

Allen-MX8

3. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

This seems to be the root of the hoopla over the change in the start of the ATA year. As I understand the concerns, moving it to November 1st makes it harder for folks to meet these requirements.

I know there were reasons the date was changed and certainly there is room for debate as to whether they are significant enough to require the change but I wonder if, other than the referenced target requirement, does it do ANY other harm? As far as I know, most state shoots set minimums based on current and last target year, IF that is consistent across the board, then it is only the Grand that creates the problem.

I guess my question is, why does the Grand require "Current Target Year" and not allow the inclusion of previous year? I suppose it is to keep out those dreaded "Sandbaggers" and that could fuel a whole separate argument but other than that, I simply do not understand the need to limit as such.

I wonder if the solution would be as simple as to change the requirements for minimum targets at the Grand from "Current Target Year" to "Targets shot since the last Grand"? I know, it can't be that simple but it would address the concerns I have heard on this subject.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Former Marine - once a Marine, always a Marine!! Whats with your handle??

5. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

lets see, from ATA you better make a 199 or better (from 2007 Grand)

CLASS B WINNER SALOMON EUGENE H FARMINGDALE NJ 199,

CLASS B RUNNER UP STRABAVY RAYMOND J WHITING IN 199

CLASS B 3RD PLACE KITTLE EDSEL F BUCKHANNON WV 198

your a better sandbagger than I...........Grubby

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

In the past the rule read a minimum of 2000 targets for the current and previous 2 years( of which 1000 had to be shot within the current target year) C-11 P. That was changed a couple of years ago to read that you only have to have 1000 within the current target year. Dropping the 2000 target 3 year combonation ruling. It reads a lot simplier now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

eugene salomon shooter ata

target requirements for the grand