1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Squadding Rule Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!!! Just a question

This year several of us that arrived at the Grand at different times and from a quite a distance apart tried to have the first member there squad for all of us. He was told at the desk that he must have each ATA card to do this. As I said we live a state apart so getting cards to each other is somewhat a problem. We did send our ATA numbers with him. The lady behind the desk said she could not input the numbers manually but I saw another desk lady do just that for a shooter whos card was damaged to the point of not swiping. She then, and rightfully so, advised him to have a new card made. Point is SHE DID INPUT HIS CARD MANUALLY so I know it can be done.

I suspect there is another reason that I am not seeing. Is there a problem with pre-squadding and then changing or not showing up?? It's OK that this be a rule, and I am not asking it to be changed. We know now and will adjust accordingly in the future. What caused this rule to be enacted??

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

That's a good question, then how & why can (DO) they pre-squad months in advance, they don't have your card then do they???? Maybe I'm missing something here. Ross Puls

3. Annie Get Your Gun

Annie Get Your Gun Member

I had not worked the squad desk since Vandalia and was impressed with the changes to RJ'S program. There is a rule that we cannot swipe a card, and it is very frustrating if the card does not work. There are machines that can take a number that is entered manually, but those computers are used for squadding "problems". I do not think you would have seen a regular squad entry entered manually.

4. THALL

THALL Member

Hello Jim, This year we used the pre-squading option on the rjstuart.com website with great result as far as get our group together to shoot. We were also able to pick our bank(s) to shoot on & to some degree the time we shot on the bank(s). Take care & shoot well. Tim Hall down in Alabama. I edited this post to correct my mistake.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The Grand wasn't on presquad.com; never has been.

Pre-squadding was done by the ATA.

Presquad requests were sent to the ATA using RJStuart's site.

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

We used to give our cards to the first person that would be arriving at the Grand. Just get another card (or 4, one for each member of the squad) from the ATA and give them to the first person (or everyone on the squad) arriving at the shoot. I used to do this all the time for a friend up North for the Dixie and/or Southern. When they get here they are classified and squadded and only have to pay. JRM

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I think you have to get the original card back to do anything on the swipers too. Maybe I'm wrong but.......

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Any of your four or six cards will work and any time. Some of you just try and complicate the simpest things.

Don

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Here's what you need to understand about squadding for the Grand ON SITE at the WSRC...

The first step is ALWAYS classification. For your plan to work, the first person in your party to arrive would need plastic cards AND average cards for each member of your group. After classification, he/she could use the plastic cards to pull squads for your group.

Rule 1, page 9 and rule 3, page 13b are the applicable references in the 2011 Grand program.

The 2011 program also explains, "Participants with a broken or worn plastic card can get a replacement by presenting positive ID and their current plastic card, otherwise there will be a $1.00 service charge per card. Replacement cards are available from Member Services, adjacent to the cashier's desk."

You can also request a replacement for a worn out or lost card from the ATA office in Vandalia.

To make your plan work for 2012, each member of your group would need to request a replacement card. Immediately prior to the 2012 Grand you'd all need to get the extra plastic card(s) and average card(s) to whomever in your group is expected to arrive first. The 'first arriver' could then get all of you classified and pull squads.

sissy

PS: The way you've described things, it would probably be easier to pre-squad.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All our squad members have each other's cards.

11. dflo

dflo Member

At this years Grand I was the first shooter on my squad to show up. I took all of my squads cards to the squadding desk and squadded for the events we were going to shoot. You do not have to be classified to squad. They ask you for the longest yardage shooter and the rest is just where you want to shoot. When the other shooters arrive they classify and pay.

Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.