1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Slam Rules Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by R.Kipling, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

IF a 25.5 yard, ATA shooter breaks 100x100 from the 27 yard line, due to a 2 yard minimum targets or known ability penalty, does this 100x100 count toward a Grand Slam?

Pondering,
    Kip

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

It was shot from the 27, it counts. Doesn't matter if it was due to shooting penalty or assignment. Plus, since yardage is assigned based on where you're shooting, that shooter is awarded yardage from 27, not from 25.5. That shooter is now officially a 27 shooter.

Congrats to whoever did it... or was this a rhetorical question?

3. R.Kipling

Just something that came up at a small club Big-50 yesterday. Thought that I'd send out a general Q.

FWIW, I've personally been 'penalized' beyond the 25, more than once. Since I shoot for myself, and recognize the local rules "shoot management reserves the right...." I rarely, if ever question shoot management. I just enjoy the opportunity to participate.

I do try to shoot when I travel around the country, so I'm not 'known' at some of the club shoots I manage to attend. I often get that "sand-bagger' look from the registration desk when I show up late and only shoot the Hcaps. That look always changes when the scores are posted. LOL

Kip

4. R.Kipling

That's one of the reasons I asked this question, and I expected some confusion. I feel that Browning Gal is on the right track, but one question still remains unclear for me.

I was under the impression that the 27 was the one place that you had to 'earn'? Would shooting well from penalty yardage still be considered 'earned'? The penalty yardage that I've had the opportunity to shoot from was always a 'single event' type of yardage. Specific to the individual shoot and local management rules.

I've been short a 100 targets, shot one event and then put right back at my assigned yardage for the following event.

THX,
    Kip

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

In the case scenario that you describe if the shooter had not been penalized to the 27 he would have been at 25.5. If the 100 was shot from there it would earn 1.5 yards which would put the shooter on the 27 would it be earned? The end result is the same no matter which one you were shooting from.

Bob Lawless

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I was under the impression that you cannot ever be penalized to the 27. Many have said this to me.

Tim

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Penalty yardage can be given due to lack of targets if it is clearly printed in the program. Known ability yardage can only be given by a voting member of the Executive Committee or a member of the Central Handicap Committee.

Pat Ireland

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I was also under the impression you could not be penalized beyond 25 yards?

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This the answer to the what seems to be the impression of many about Handicap Penalty Yardage.

The Rulebook say

"E. PENALTY YARDAGE
    Shoot Management may establish penalty yardage based on numbers of registered targets if those target requirements are printed in the program. In no event shall any shooter be assigned a handicap of less than the minimum yardage appearing on his/her Average Card."

Bob Lawless

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I was confused with the grand requirements, about shooting not less than 25 yrds for penalty...

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many shoots set 25 as the maximum penalty yardage but there are no rules dictating this.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.