1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Slam question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Harv Shell, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Grand slam is running 200 singles in a 200 target event, 100 doubles and 100 handicap from the 27 yard line. If the 100 handicap were from the 27, it would qualify.

2. justinb

justinb TS Member

Hi Harv,

Hey just wanted to let you know I ran my first hundred straight from the 27 this past Sunday, and yes it was in a 200 bird event. I ran the first 100 and had a 98 on the second 100. I cant even tell you how excited I was. The top single barrel is really coming around I sincerely appreciate you trading me. How is the un-single working for you?

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

In my opinion, technically there is no such thing as a "200 bird event" in handicap. There may be trophies awarded on the total 200 results, but the rulebook is very clear that punches must be given after each 100. In a 200 bird singles or doubles event, that is not the case.

4. justinb

justinb TS Member

Yep it's official. I spoke with Utah's new ATA delegate Scott Hoover and in his opinion that if the 100 straight was shot from the 27 yard line and it was either the 1st 100 or the 2nd 100 of the event then it would be counted as the required 100 from the 27 for the grand slam. For example If I had only shot the first 100 targets of the 200 bird event how would that score have been recorded by the ATA? 100x100. If you enter a 200 bird event and do not shoot the second hundred targets then the second hundred is not scored as losses. I'm sure that "Trap and Field" who awards the grand slam would not penalize someone for shooting a 200 bird event. Also congratulations to Jim Sharpe from AZ on finishing his Grand Slam on Sunday in the first half of the handicap event.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

any 100 from the 27 yard line is a 100, if the 100 is not a carryover, say last 50 of first event and first 50 of second event, this would not count as a 100.

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Great shooting Justin. I'm sure your lovely wife, Leslie, will be joining you soon with her grand slam.

Talked to Jim Sharp on Tuesday and congratulated him also.

Their are a lot of wonderful people, and damm good shooters in Utah.

Tom Strunk
    Payson, Arizona

7. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

Again congratulations to you J.B., great shooting partner! See you at Magna on tuesday.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I forgot to add my congratulations, Justin, on some fine shooting. It definitely does accomplish one leg of your Grand Slam.

Are you and Leslie coming to the Gun Shoot?

Larry

9. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Justin, great shooting. The unsingle isn't working out so great for me, so send the topsingle back as we agreed. <br>
    <br>
    :^) Just kidding buddy, congrats again. I have 200 reg. singles and 100 doubles with the unsingle, not much time to shoot this year. But it seems fine.<br>
    <br>
    Are you and Leslie going to make it to Sparta? We should be there Grand week. Congrats again, Harv.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ROTY02

"I was at a shoot where someone ran 100 in the first 100 of a 200 bird doubles event, they were all excited and some one told them it didn't count because it was a 200 bird event . . . . is that true?"

Just what are you asking about Handicap? Or is it Doubles? If it is Doubles you will need someone in a higher place to clarify it for you. If it is Doubles your questions about 100 in Handicap seems to have confused those that are answering. If it isn't about Doubles your question above have confused me.

Bob Lawless

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ROTY02 it was explained above that in handicap each hundred targets is considered a separate event when it come to earned yardage. It is in the rulebook

6. In marathon Handicap events comprised of more than 100 targets,
    each 100 targets (or remaining part of 100 targets) shall constitute a
    separate event for earned yardage purposes and shall be reported as
    a separate event on the shoot report form.

I know that this says marathons it also say each hundred.

For Iron clad conformation you might want to call the ATA @ 937-898-5472 ext. 516 ask for Kathy Key she is the person in the know about Yardage, Averages, Grand Classification, Handicapping Shooter Information Center you can also email her @ kkey@shootata.com she should be able to answer your question for you. If she doesn't know she will find out for you.

BTW the way you won't get 25 different answers just one and I believe the correct the first time.

Oh yeah are you using two different computers to respond to these threads? As your sign-on comes up as ROTY02 first and then roty02 usually a sign of two different computers.

Bob Lawless

12. bas

bas Member

To achieve a Grand Slam, a shooter has to have broken 200 Singles in a 200 bird Singles Event, 100 Doubles and 100 in Handicap from the 27 yd line, at some point in their career. The only 200 bird event is the Singles...so, if there were two handicap events in one day, regardless if it was a 200 bird handicap event, if a shooter broke 100 from the 27 in one of the handicaps, it would count towards their Grand Slam. It, in and of itself is not a Grand Slam...but a darn good achievement.

Congrats to Jim Sharp (AZ) who I just heard completed his "slam" with 100 from the 27.

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Please don't bother Kathy on this question (although I am certain she will give you a very polite response.). The Grand Slam is a Trap & Field recognition, not an ATA award.

Therefore, the people you need to talk to are at T&F.

I've already corresponded with them and they've confirmed that a Grand Slam consists of 200x200 singles (in an event of that length),100x100 doubles, and 100x100 handicap from the 27-yd line. The 100x100 in doubles or handicap can be shot in an event of any length, but must be shot from scratch without any carryover.

Sandy Tidwell at T&F also confirmed that James Sharp (AZ) has already been added to the list.

Scott Hoover

14. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Nora Martin (now Ross) became the first female in ATA history to break 100X100 in doubles. She did it in the 5th 100 of a 500 target marathon at a small club in KY. Reference my July Trap and Field interview with Nora.

15. bas

bas Member

V10 is absolutely correct. Information on T&F awards can be found in issues of T&F along with other record type information. As the official magazine of the ATA, T&F maintains and retains the records of ATA traphooting. The ATA does not maintain these records.

16. justinb

justinb TS Member

Thanks to all for the input. Phil we need to go goose hunting, and that is an interesting fact about Nora. Larry we will be to the gun shoot.

17. Hellonwheels

Hellonwheels TS Member

Great shooting Justin, and congratulations!

Zella and Randy

18. bas

bas Member

roty2 - Dr. Laura Winkel probably meant that she didn't need the 100 in the doubles, but the handicap to complete her slam. But, if anyone can do it, she can...she is an excellent shot!

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Betty, do you have any doubles marathons planned? ;)

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting 100 straight in a 200 bird doubles event and then shooting a 95 in the second 100 birds would be reported to the ATA and Trap and Field as 195/200. There would be no way for the first 100 straight to be identified in the report. In handicap events, each 100 birds shot are reported separately, even if trophies are awarded only for the combined score of two hundred birds. The 100 straight in handicap would be identified and recognized.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

slam question

trap and field 27 yard recognition