1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Slam Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dewnys, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewnys

Dewnys TS Member

I see every year several people finally hit their grand slam. Many of these people have multiple perfect rounds in two of the three disciplines and finally get the last one. For some like Leo, Ray, Phil, etc. they probably have 100's of perfect rounds in each.

What I am wondering is if any of us "average" shooters has just had three lucky days. Meaning that they have 1 200 in singles, 1 100 in doubles and 1 100 from the 27. I know every dog has his day and can get a couple chips along the way. Does anyone know anybody in this category?

I've been close with the singles but thats it. I know that miracles will need to be worked in doubles and handicap for me. Just want to know if there is any hope for a guy like me? I would love to hear that there are a few average guys that have gotten lucky and got their slam.

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Dewnys, I don't know what you consider to be average, but I doubt that luck has too much to do with getting a "grand slam."

Steve

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

AAtrap

For us "average" guys there may well be some luck involved. Or maybe it is called having a "good day"; like when you shoot a perfect score to get into the shoot-off for B class.

Anyone shooting a perfect score is a damn fine shot in my book. I have never done it on registered targets. I have had three 99's but was not good enough (or lucky enough) to break 'em all.

I hope to get better. Thus, I will not be dependent on a golden BB to chip the target that almost gets away. But should I be fortunate enough to be blessed by the Golden BB, I will very appreciative all the same.

Don

4. Dewnys

Dewnys TS Member

Steve,

What I mean by average is the guy thats an A - B singles and worked his way to the 27. I'd consider myself average and I'm at about 94% in singles, 87% in doubles, and 87% in handicap over the past 2 years.

Its true that you have to be good to get a grand slam. At the same time I've shot with a guy who broke 200 at our club whose previous high was 194. And he's been shooting for quite a few years. I've seen people in C and D doubles break 100. Maybe they were sandbagging a bit but I doubt they should be a AA shooter.

I'm just saying that you hear or see people having a blind squirrel finding a nut day fairly often. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done it three times.

Sam

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The very best I've ever done in a 200 bird singles event is 198. In doubles my best is 96. I finally made the 27 yard line about six weeks ago, and have hit 95 from there twice since, and a 98 in practice. I have never broken more than 98 from any handicap yardage, and have had about four 100 straights in singles over the years, most recently in June. This all is with about 27,000 registered singles, 30,000 registered handicap, and 15,000 registered doubles. Sam, my averages are very close to yours. I don't expect to break a Grand Slam, but I keep trying. I never thought I'd make the 27 either, but it finally happened.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Dewyns, with the information that you have given me about your averages, I would say that you are better than an average shooter. Although you have not stated what your yardage is, the number of targets you have shot or what your doubles classification is.

You have given examples of someone shooting a 200 in singles whose personal best had previously been a 194 and several people shooting a 100 in doubles with a C or D average,but not a person that has shot a 100 straight from the 27(with a little "luck") and I suppose there are some of those, but, a single person who has been lucky enough to have broken a "grand slam"? Even though I now understand what you are asking; I still doubt that it would be luck. If it is, I hope I am the lucky person.

IMHO
    Steve

7. Dewnys

Dewnys TS Member

Steve, I agree with you about doubting that anyone who has their grand slam got it through luck.

I was just thinking if there was anyone similar to me,(I was last classified A(93.8%)-27-B(87.2%) and probably have shot about 60 - 70K of registered + practice) who had been able get their grand slam. My highs are 198, 97 in doubles, and 95 from the 27 in the 15+ years I've been at this game.

Like The Kissable Wanker and Pocatello, what if they were able to have that golden BB on the target or two that they have missed? I was just wondering if someone was able to find that golden BB on a couple of occasions. It would give me hope that I could do it as well.

Flalagarto, you're right. I wasn't thinking when I wrote my first post. I was just meaning that the Big Dogs have many perfect rounds in each.

Sam

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Sam, Don't give up. There IS hope,practice,concentration,etc. that will beat out luck every time. I'd say you have a better than average chance to do it.

Good luck and good shooting
    Steve

9. SteveT

SteveT Active Member

Dewnys:
    I finished up my Grand Slam last weekend in Butte, Montana with a 100 in Doubles. So to answer your question. yes there are people out there that only have one of each. I only have (1) 200 in singles, (1) 100 from the 27 and the (1) 100 in doubles. I consider myself pretty average (overweight, old, one eyed shooter) and I still work full time but shoot as much as I can. I grind it out for every target every time I shoot. I shoot some good scores and some pretty awful scores every year. I shoot in all kinds of weather and have never pulled out of an event because it was too windy, snowing, raining etc. I just love to shoot and enjoy the competition. Do not give up keep working at it your time will come.
    Steve Taylor

10. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I have stated this many times. If you do not or cannot maintain an average above the reduction point, then you are foolish to turn down reductions.\

As to you question about those that have acheived the Grand Slam. Probably only 1/2 can be counted as reasonably good handicap or doubles shooter. Sometimes luck come into place.

But if you look at those with multiple 100's in each discipline you will not they are amoung the great shooters of today, or yesterday. - Jim

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Steve, Congratulations!!

I've enjoyed shooting with you many times, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

There have been a least a couple of times when I've shot with Steve where I was pretty sure he'd get that 100 in doubles, but it didn't quite happen. If my memory doesn't fail me, I think once it was the 98th bird that escaped at San Antonio.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Well done Steve. I don't think that there is anything else in Trap that compares to earning a Grand Slam that says a shooter has become proficient in the sport. I bet you still haven't wiped that smile off!

13. SteveT

SteveT Active Member

Thank you Larry. Was not sure if it would ever come. And yes JBrooks I am still smiling.
    Steve Taylor

14. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Dewnys:

Ok im just an average guy and I would had had a slam long time ago but my 100 from the cap's in 1983 was short yardage so that don't count for a slam.

Anyway I doubt if I can complete my quest because I can't afford to shoot now days ok it is not just from the shooting aspect but has to do with the other part as in the living aspect most normal people has to live first then enjoy other things later wished I could do as a lot of the ones I respect but im not good enough to give classes and such.

FOG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.