1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Shootoff Targets.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

At the Illinois State Shoot today, several of us were discussing the Grand and the consensus of the few of us was that we wished they'd throw all white targets once it got dark enough. Your thoughts?

2. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Often wondered the same thing , that's coming from an observer of shoot offs only . LOL

3. Shawn

Shawn Member

I like the orange at Sparta.

Thanks

Shawn

4. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

At Vandalia we shot white targets at 9pm mostly because the high number of squads were not finished till around 8pm...

At Sparta we were finished around 4pm and the shoot-offs could be called when we still had good light, and we used orange dome.

5. Barry C. Roach

[​IMG]
    I think white would be better for these conditions.

6. Two Dogs

I agree with you Barry, but with all that daylight left after the shoot it only makes sense to get the shoot-offs over with, since there are a lot of shooters that have an hour drive to get to their hotel, not like Vandalia....

7. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Barry has a good point. Trap's are well lit and shootoff's later are nice because of the heat. I as well are their just to watch. Let's not make this anouther Sparta VS Vandalia.

George.

8. Two Dogs

George...I'm just saying...The shooting for the most part is finished by 4pm..
    So you are saying we wait around 5 hours until it's dark enough, and we all know in that part of the country, dark is 9-9:30pm...

9. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

You as well have a good point. Alway's two sides. If you camp there it is Awsome if you travel it's a long and tiresome day. Six one way half a dozen the other way.

George.

10. Barry C. Roach

TD. The shootoffs last well into the dark most nights. In Vandalia we shot orange dome until the lights were effective ... then they'd switch to all white. I see no reason not to do the same again.

11. Two Dogs

No Barry...If you remember, shoot-offs at the Grand in Vandalia except for Saturday's cap were always shot off at 9pm with white targets.Orange dome targets under the lights started with Sparta...

12. Barry C. Roach

No Two Dogs. In Vandalia, there was a time when the shoot offs started before sundown. The 9pm start time came much later. I do agree that the 9pm start time, throwing all white targets was fairer, however.

13. Two Dogs

Barry...I don't remember going to the shoot-offs before 9pm.at Vandalia. I was in the clay-bird champ shoot-off the last year at Vandalia and we started the shoot-offs at 9pm. with white targets.The very next year at Sparta same thing...except we started in the daylight with orange dome and ended in the dark with orange dome.

14. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Having been involved in shootoffs at both Vandalia and Sparta I want to let my feelings be known.

I believe that the orange target events and the white target events are as different as 2 different sports. Another factor to consider is that the lighting of the trap fields at Sparta is much superior to the lighting of the shootoff traps at Vandalia. As long as orange is the color of the event targets orange should also be the color of the shootoff targets.

Maybe and I just say maybe with the lighting that was available at Vandalia possibly the white target was the better option for after dark shootoffs ?

With the state of the art lighting now in place at the Grand nothing but orange targets should be considered for shootoffs. Also with the amount of traps available at the Sparta Complex the events should be completed in a timely manuer and the shootoffs should be held in Daylight conditions whenever possible.

Dave Berlet

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When the Spring Grand was hosted at the old Phx club we would ask the shooters what color they wanted and give them what they asked for ... If one trap went to white targets all of them did at the same time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Barry I always liked the white targets at the Grand in Vandalia and wish they could be throw in Sparta. One of my favorite shooting pins is the Grand shootoff participant pin with the cool looking white target on it.

I do know one good reason that Sparta stays with orange. Changing out from the orange to white with the Pat traps would take some time and effort. Plus the white targets in the machine at night would need to be taken back out before the next morning.

17. kingbilly

kingbilly TS Member

last year at Sparta at the clay target shootoff we shot the first fifty orange dome then the trap was switched to all orange. the next couple of traps stayed with the dome thru the first 100 I believe. so rcl323 reason doesn't hold up because we changed and they were taken out for next day event. bill

18. Barry C. Roach

In the names of "fair and balanced", Randy Miller's vote is for all orange, after dark.

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Talk about fun ... one time at one of the Las Vegas Shoots ... when we went up to shoot it was at Dusk.

Green dome targets against a berm that was littered with broken targets. Almost impossible to see them until they just peeked up above the berm!

I had shot with this guy before so I said "Paul, Iv;e got you beat before we even start. I am a Pot Shooter, and you are not!" He looked at me like I was crazy.

I told myself "Just like shooting Annies!"

He missed 2 and I ran them!

You make do with what you got!

20. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Been in shoot offs both places, I never missed a target due to color. Lights are much better in Sparta, I see the orange just fine. I agree with Dave Berlet.