1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GRAND SCORE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Here is a question or statement. Why is it when I go to the Grand I have shot crapy? (been there now 3 times) I went to the Grand in Vandalia once and shot way better that my average. But at Sparta I can't. Is it an optical illusion?
    My bases is in 2004 (the only time I went to Vandalia) the Remington Nitro had 4 or so 100's and 18 or so 99's
    This years Nitro had 1 100 amd 5 98's Now I know ths was prelem. wk. but what gives, (I know we are talking 60% or so less shooter) so maybe that is the answer to part of my question. The scores really don't seem as high as they did. I know the big dog still shoot just like they always do.
    mike t

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mike, you're not alone. I'm one of many Pennsylvania shooters who struggled at Vandalia because we're used to shooting at clubs where the trap fields were carved out of a wooded area and the background is mature trees 60 yards or so from the trap houses and in a lot of cases, right beside the end fields. On his first visit to one of our local clubs for a clinic, Phil Kiner described it as claustrophobic.

When I went to Vandalia, aside from all the distractions of being at the world's largest trapshoot and being excited about the shopping opportunties, I had to deal with a background that was entirely foreign to me. On top of that, because our local club backgrounds are dark, all-orange is the most commonly-seen target coloration. At Vandalia, we had to adjust to orange domes. The better shooters can overcome the background and target color differences while most of us average shooters weren't as good at doing so.

I did have some bright moments at Vandalia but my usual scores were perhaps three targets lower than my averages. I've not been to Sparta, so I can't comment on it.

Ed

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Mike---I am just curious---How do you or others define what a big-dog is?Just wondering---Need help on this---I would look it up but I don't know where to find the definition---Any help appreciated---Thanks---SJB---

4. mike T

mike T Member

The big dogs are the likes of >>>> Leo, Phil, Harlan, Nora, Kay, Debbie, and the list goes on...
    mike t

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Southjblue--A big dog is a Great Dane,Lab,Doberman,etc.CED

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Mike---I agree---sjb--

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I think you have a lot of company in people that don't shoot well there. I have yet to break 100 straight there in the 16's. Only go for prelim days and the heat and humidity is a definite factor but the targets also seem faster than other places I shoot. It is interesting to look at R J Stuarts site for this weeks scores and see the # of people that shot last week but apparently have gone home. Maybe, like me, they only intended to shoot last week, but I did notice 1 big name that had apparently left.

8. mike T

mike T Member

One thing I do notice is the traphouses seem higher that the ones I usually shoot over. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    mike t

9. roger8918

roger8918 Member

We didn't go to the Grand but I did take seven juniors to the SCTP National Team Championships this year. We are from PA and all shoot at clubs with tree backgrounds.

All seven of them shot their personal bests with one breaking 100 straight from the 16. They all commented how big the targets looked in the blue sky but they also said that their hold points were lower then they had ever held.

One thing we stress on the team, trap is a game of adjustments.

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Roger---I would love to get some Jr's interested---Where do you find the funds to support them---SJB---

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Roger, you brought a well-prepared, well-coached team.

Being prepared to win is pretty special.

Kudos!

Bob

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

MikeT The bigger the shoot the more the pressure escalates. You have to win one so your mind knows you can do it. Then you won't shoot so crappy. CED

13. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I thought that I shot terrible but when I figured up my average, I shot my average. A lot of people think that they did terrible but in fact they did not shoot WAY above their average. My doubles were below average, my 16's above average and handicap was basically average.

They see scores of 98, 99, and 100 in handicap and think that their 93 was bad but they have an 88 average. Hey they shot 5 targets over their 88 average which is great but wanted to shoot 10 targets over their average.

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I found that the wind at Sparta was constantly changing directions. Unlike West Texas where we have a lot of wind, but it it stays pretty constant from one direction; Sparta has wind that may be in your face one shot, from the right next, then behind you for your third shot. It's not such a problem for 16's, but on handicap it's tough. Short yard shooters don't have the experience to deal with it and it is still difficult for the 27's to score 100's. What I don't understand is why some back woods shooter with long yardage (20) doesn't come in and clean our clock. AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.