1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

My first trip to Sparta so be gentle. In the summer I carry one of those Kwick Up canopy deals that is 10x10 and it unfolds real easy to have a shady area to relax in while waiting. Most ranges I've been to have a spot in the grass nearby or sometimes I just park in the grass and put it up next to the car. Anyway my question is if I'll be able to use it at Sparta? Or need it? If I bring my dog he has to have some shade and the ole lady likes it too.

I know this is probably nutty to ask but does anybody know of any hotels close by with rooms for the end of the main week? Thanks.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Just back up to the bank you are shooting on and pitch your tent. You shouldn't park in the grass but your tent can.

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Lots of people use canopies at Sparta. No one will give you a second glance.

There's a brand new La Quinta Inn at I-64 and IL 4 that looks to have rooms available. You'd be about 35 miles north of the WSRC if you stayed there. Otherwise your best bet is a little bit west of there in the Fairview Heights/O'Fallon/Shiloh area.

4. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

From the parking lots that are south of the trap line there is more than enough room to put up your canopys and tents. I'm gonna guess at 200 feet maybe closer to 300 feet to the sidewalk behind the traps. Looks like the weather this week will be typical of southern Illinois and it's gonna be a hot one so take plenty of water with you and good luck shooting. You'll like the area and the way the WRSC is set up. Dan

5. bas

bas Member

ole lady?

6. lisalong

lisalong Member

There's plenty of room and YOU'LL NEED IT! Shade is non-existent at the Grand in Sparta!

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just got back, HUGE CROWD !!!

8. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Sunday Nite, Report, Nashville,Il. Best Western possible.
    I am at the Grand as we speek.
    Good Luck !!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

lisalong-----If you went unaware of that, its your own fault. That subject has been hashed out over and over and over before on here. Trees can grow only so fast on old strip mine ground.-----Matt

10. lisalong

lisalong Member

Shade doesn't just come from trees. Tents would be nice. Thank heaven they had the wagons in previous years, but it wasn't enough, especially that year it was so hot. I'm not there this year, but shade was one of the issues I think they should work on. Maybe it's better this year.

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Coming up with 3.5 miles of shade is going to be a bit of a challenge. Winchester and White Flyer put up a couple tents on the east end, but I can't imagine the cost to cover the entire line.

Vandalia had no shade from the practice traps on and this was after 100 years. In another 100 years I'll bet none of us cares. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.