1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GRAND PARENTS FUSS OVER PRESENT FOR CHRISTMAS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by nsrailroad, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

3 grand children, 1 is getting a nos Rem 870 mag with extra barrels and chokes. One grandparent is fussing because it valued more than what the other two children are getting. (The one lives next to me is Getting the gun I hope)and is like a son to me. These are adopted grand children. Never had any real children of mine own. The others I rarely see them as much. Now Granted I love the all the same. But I fish, shoot and do parks, museums, ball games he plays in ect., with the one lives next to me. Should I give him the gun for Christmas or some other none important time to keep peace. I'm between a rock and a hard place.
    Railroad

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Everyone wants "equality" in presents today as this, to them, is a "measure" of love. Don't start a squallble, give it at a different time. It will mean more to him that way.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Your money = Your choice. Dont let "others" decide what,(or even IF), you are to give to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man up and tell the folks that you will do as YOU wish and if they dont like it to keep their mouths shut or they might just find an empty stocking this year.

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Give equal presents to all the kids (keeps squabbles down) Give him the gun now It's hunting season, and take him hunting with it. gotta have a gun to hunt doncha know

Bob

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

As a Grandparent the fix is easy. Give him the gun and up the ante on the other gifts to an equal amount.

If you love them all the same, treat them all the same.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In my family we don't keep score.

If I wanted one of them to shoot my gun I would loan it to him.

He could keep it as long as he wants.

HM

7. Damifino

Damifino Member

Give him the gun now and an equal present @ Christmas. It's your money, do whatever you want with it.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I give gift cards and forget it. They can use them as they wish.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I give out "One size fits all" checks, never had any complaints and I don't have to stand in long lines to check out ... That makes me happy and merry as in "Merry Christmas" to all and to all, whatever ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I would buy him a present of equal worth at Christmas time and give him the gun later, or before, right before taking him on a hunt. Or better yet tell him it's his during the hunt.

11. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Yeah just give it to him sometime when it's just the two of you. He'd always remember that.

12. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

give him the gun....others may complaine it's not fare...fare is what you pay to ride the bus...life's not fare.

the others don't have to know is all you tell him.

13. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I like how my dad gave me guns. I had to earn them hunting. By earn them I mean if I got a buck with whichever "new" gun I was using it was mine. Found memories of spending quality time with my dad and fair. It didn't make my brother mad. Kim :)

14. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Let me give you some advice from some who just lost there dad an what the kids want ... your time while you can so if it is a gun you want to give the one who loves nest to you do it now and plan a trip to do something with the others asap.. Myself and the grandkids will be spending the first holidays without both of my parents. We lost mom in May and dad this past week. Do whatever it is that will cause you to spend time together!!! good luck and great times together !!!!

15. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I think I get the parents to put it under the tree from Santa. He will know where came from anyway. Hopefully I will have the 50 year old H R .410 refinished for Christmas. I don't Think anyone will say much about that old gun.Hopefully we will go to the salvage yard tommorrow to get some lawn mower wheels for our shooting benchs, and fixig the target stands.
    Thanks
    Railroad

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Tell the fussing grandparent that if he/she thinks the gifts are unequal, to pony up the extra money for the other two grandkids gifts to make them equal.

Give the kid the gun. I'm sure the other kids will also get something extra special at some point in their lives. It will all even out in the end....

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Interpersonal dynamics within families are not one size fits all. You know your family better than any of us.

You have an answer and you are not comfortable with it. When you are honest with yourself, you will make the right decision.

Don Verna

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Remember when you all were kids? How did you feel when you saw your sister or brother get more then you did? I know how that feels. You will have the other two pissed at you. If you give the kid a gun you should give something of equal value to the other two. If you don't your showing favoritism to one and letting the other two think they are not wanted or liked. Kids are kids and they notice more then you know or think.

19. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Lots of good advice here. I wouldn't give him the gun, let him use it and call it his. Give all three equal gifts. He and you know about the gun and the hunting and fishing. I look back on the times I spent with my Grandpa and just spending time with him was the best present you could ever get. That time was magical and I remember to this day all these years later the things we did together and the places we went those memories are worth more to me than anything I ever got from him. Dan

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I won't pretend to tell you what to do, that is for you to decide.

But having said that.

I know the youngest grandkids also see what the oldest grandkids get and I know they would feel slighted, so I give them all the same thing......A check......They can spend it anyway they like and they do.

It seems to make them all happy!

Good luck in deciding, I know it isn't easy.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.