1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Junction CO. I need some info

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by gr8shot, Jun 6, 2017.

1. gr8shot

gr8shot Member

Looking for some help for upcoming trip to Grand junction to hunt prairie dogs. Where to hunt, good spots, etc.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    PM me or leave a phone # and I'll be glad to call.
    Thank in advance.
    Steve.

2. Zukrider03

Zukrider03 Member

Unfortunately I don't think you will get much help as most of the prairie dog towns are on private property as the ones on public land have been mostly shot up or the dogs are so skittish that they go underground after the first shot. What I have found is people who find good spots don't share them with others. You basically need to know a landowner that has prairie dogs and the landowner will know other land owners that have them also. But you can’t tell anyone because the word gets out and everyone invites themselves with or without the land owner’s permission. Because of this most landowners just won’t let you on to hunt. Another thing that seems to be becoming popular in Colorado is guide and outfitters for prairie dog hunting these outfits lease a lot of the prime locations for prairie dog hunting.

3. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Call some outfitters. There are places. They are not free.

4. wk4036

wk4036 Member

Most of the landowners have found there's money in them dogs so be prepared to pay to shoot.

5. Delta Shooter

Delta Shooter TS Member

I'm just south of Grand Jct 30 miles. Few P dogs in the desert south of town. Season just opened back up a month ago and the locals are hitting them hard. Land Owners are poisoning them fast as they can and leasing out the shooting on the survivors. Are you looking for 200 rounds a day or 1000? I have a few honey holes but temps pushing 100 with wind make them lay pretty low right now.

6. jredding

jredding Active Member

Drive another hour and a half across the Utah line and have at it, all public ground and plenty of dogs, no outfitters trying to sell prairie dog hunts here, anywhere south of Hwy. 40 to the White river and all the way west towards Vernal is pretty good.

7. wk4036

wk4036 Member

What are the Regs for Utah ?

8. jredding

jredding Active Member

There is a closed season from April 1 - June 15, they are listed as a nuisance animal no permit required. There is one area in that region they have black footed ferret in that remains closed year round so get the maps, there can be decent coyote populations in that area too depending on the year, Utah pays a $50.00 bounty on them, you do have to go online and pre register to be able to collect bounty. It's a big area with a lot of roads built for oil and gas exploration, plan on burning some gas to get yourself into some shooting. Here's a link to check it out yourself. Utah Division of Wildlife Resources