1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand! Is it worth the trip????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Go! Don't listen to the crybabies! It is the bigest - best trap shoot ever!

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Most of the shooters want to shoot east.

You're damned right it's worth going and shooting and seeing all the new stuff. Emphasizing the Bad is a big mistake. You get to shoot at a world class trapshooting facility that was given to you without you spending a dime. Take advantage.

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Barry is 110% right! I have been looking forward to going for a year...now my unexpected open heart surgery has me sidelined until next year. Go while you can! It is the World Class "Happening" of Trapshooting. Best Regards, Ed

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

If you go to the Grand like I did last year and shot every event, make sure that you harbor no expectations of winning. I went for the facility, to watch the very best shooters and the overall experience...period. I'm a D Class shooter in Doubles and shot a personal best 92 (yet to even get close to again since)and it was on the second day and I wasn't even on the Leader Board. This is the top trap tournament in the world. You not only get the best shooters in the world, but also the most skilled sandbaggers. This year it's the Cardinal Classic instead. Sparta is a great facility and worth the experience....once.

blade819

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

blade819, How can you say it is the home of the most skilled sandbangers.

Just because you got your butt handed to you, you're crying sour grapes.

In the game of trapshooting, you don't get beat, you beat yourself because you didn't break more targets than the winner did. Pure and simple.

Sour grapes indeed.......More like being a cry baby loser.

Waaaa.......Waaa.........I didn't win so I'll say they have skilled sandbaggers and try to get some sympathy.

Man up! You were beat fair and square....as was anyyone else who came in 2nd or below.

Hauxfan!

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yeah...it's worth the trip...always!!!

Wish I had the time to shoot the Grand then hit the Cardinal Classic on the way home.

Once we're planted, I suspect we'll be out of time!

Curt

7. Steven R. Scheib

Steven R. Scheib TS Member

The Grand in Sparta is like the slow growing creeping charlie in my yard. Every year it just takes over more and more. Driving in here is so easy; it's 39 miles from Columbia, Illinois which is the very first town across the I255 bridge from St. Louis. The area is tranquil; the people are middle America where truth prevails; no is no and yes is yes; carpenters park next to CEO's and the commonality that brings us together is who can shoot the best score! Whoever runs this place should receive a medal. It's very big, almost overwhelming. But, wherever you want to go, it's easy. Just drive there with no worry of a traffic jam or delay. The lawn is mowed; the wagons are hitched; the water is clean; and the Grand American just awaits your presence to add your name to its storied history of remarkable shooting performances. The grill is on! See you in Sparta. Scheib

8. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

You should definately go!! Check out the largest shooting facility in the WORLD!!!...and it's in America !!!.............Uncle Sam, Pa.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You could answer your own question by listening to these posts. It is an experiance to say the least. Everytime i go to that facility i can hardly believe my eyes and i'm there at least once a week. It is overwhelming to me over and over again. When the crowd from all the Grand shooters are there and they play our Anthem it chokes me up. This is what this sport is all about. GO you will see what i mean. Good luck.----Matt

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The world's best shooters and sandbaggers never attended the Grand until it moved to Sparta. Also, any of the other shoots of comparable size and difficulty are thoroughly screened to prevent this problem. Lastly, I have a bridge to sell you.

If winning your class is the only thing that can make you happy, you're probably in the wrong sport. Geeze.

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

GO! It is the best run shoot and the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

All I have to say is that some local friends of mine went up the first year the Grand was at Sparta. He shot so-so, but his wife in D class shot a personnal best of 94 or so. There were at least 5 100 straits, 3 or them were still shooting targets after another 200 targets in the shoot-off. So that means that 3 D class shooters shot a 300 strait. Sandbaggers?? You be the judge. Still great place to go if you want to see the best of the best, and to buy anything you ever wanted to related to shooting. Good Luck to all that attend and Break-em all. Jeff

13. Barry C. Roach

All you sandbaggers stay home. PLEASE.

14. Barry C. Roach

There. That should do it.

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

But, Barry I've got shells loaded and the guns are already packed. I would only be bagging in doubles anyway, can I still come?

16. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

What if?? What if?? What if?? Dont what if your life away.. go have fun. It is what you make of it. Like anything in life. Break them all as on man here says alot.!!!!

17. Barry C. Roach

Nope. I stand firm.

18. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If I agree not to shoot doubles can I come, I'll just shoot the caps unless shooting from the 25 is now sandbagging.

I really don't want to stay home.

19. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Sparta and the Grand. People are great and the shooting is the best. I go every year and this will be my 4th Grand at Sparta. I look forward to ging every year. I have always been able to stay within resonable driving distance. If you look around you will find a place to stay.

Charlie

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I went twice, first two years, and yes it was big, and yes the best shooters go, and yes it was efficient, but it was the most impersonal shoot I ever went to....everyone sat in their cars and drove from here to there.....like in LA...zzzzzzz

spend your time going to different state/regional shoots where you WILL have more fun! when the Sun sets in Sparta...they roll up the sidewalks.

Go once for the experience.....Your results may vary- Frank C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.