1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

grand handicap shooting ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

I would like to go to the grand and shoot some of the programs. In the last few years I have shot about 500-800 singles 500-800 handicap and just a little over 1000 doubles. per year.
    My question. If I shoot 1000 handicap targets or more before the grand will I have to shoot penality yardage? Or can I shoot my assigned yardage?

mike t.

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Unless they make a change, previous years have been 1000 targets minimum to avoid penalty.

Scott

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

As Scott said, if you shoot 1000 or more Handicap targets before this years Grand, you will not have to shoot penalty. They have to be in the current 2012 target year though.

4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I disagree with you GRNTITAN. I would think that if you had 1000 targets in an event during the 2011 season that your yardage/classification should stand. Too many folks have not had opportunity enough to shoot that many targets in 2012! Jack

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

From the 2011 Grand American program:

"2) No participant shall be classified to shoot Handicap events at less than 25 yards unless they have a minimum of 1,000 registered Handicap targets in the current year. The 1,000 handicap targets must have been registered beginning since September 1 of the previous year and not later than the last day of preliminary week of the current Grand American Championships. Shooters may use preliminary week targets, up to and including Sunday, August 7th, to meet the minimum requirement (see item #5 below). However, participants who fail to meet Grand American Handicap qualification, as described above, shall have the choice of shooting targets only from their assigned yardage provided they waive and forfeit all rights to ATA Trophies, options, purses and added Money. Shooters who elect to shoot TARGETS ONLY ARE INELIGIBLE TO ENTER INTO THE 100K SHOOTOUT AND 200K LEWIS OPTIONS (see Special Purses, Options, and Awards)"

No reason to expect that the requirement will be any different in 2012.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

From the current rulebook page 39

"SECTION X GRAND AND ALL AMERICAN QUALIFICATION

A. GRAND AMERICAN QUALIFICATION

No participant shall be classified to shoot Handicap events at less than 25.0 yards unless he/she has a minimum of 1000 registered Handicap targets in the current year. The 1000 handicap targets must have been registered since September 1 of the previous year and not later than the day preceding the first day of the Grand American World Trapshooting Championships. However, participants who fail to meet Grand American Handicap qualification as described above shall have the choice of shooting targets only from their assigned yardage provided they waive and forfeit all rights to trophies, options, purses, and added money. Handicap target requirements are waived for Senior Veterans, making them eligible for trophies and monies."

The same thing it say in the Grand program!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sorry you disagree 'Martinpicker' but as V10 and Bob provided above, the proof is in the rules. It has changed over the years but has been this way for at least the last few years.

8. mike T

mike T Member

Thanks. That answers my question. The reason I asked is I thought in the past you had to have 1000 in each of the last 2 years
    Mike t

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Mike I think if you check back you will find that it is satellite grands that have a two year requirement on targets but not the Grand.

Bob Lawless

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Sorry guys!! Brain belch! I was thinking about the Dixie Grand! I am going there for the first time this year and I guess I let my excitement rule my judgement. For the American Grand, GRNTITAN is perfectly correct! Again, sorry. Jack

11. 3357

3357 Member

with the 2 yard reduction this is probably not the year to spend a lot of money on handicap options unless you are a strong 97++ average shooter, unless you really enjoy "feeding the kitty".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.