1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand for the spectator

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by Terry_Maiden, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

I live only about an hour's drive from Sparta but have never been there. Over the years I have attended a lot of skeet shoots in MO and IL, some quite large. I have never attended anything like a world championship though. I was wondering if spectators are welcome on the grounds during the Grand and if there are entertainments enough if you are not shooting. What about parking? Eats? I really don't care for the idea of driving all that way and then getting turned away at the gate because I'm a non-shooter. Thanks and good luck everybody!

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Entertainment ? Nope, unless you count the vendors as entertainment. There are quite a few vendors and you can spend hours looking and / or buying. As far as eats, the Main Building has an indoor restaurant which serves 'fast' food (burgers, hot dogs etc.) There are some outdoor vendors who also serve food; as you stroll down vendor's row you'll smell the goodies.

IMO, if you are looking for good food, you have to go off-site or prepare it yourself.

As far as being welcome, you are. You can stick around until dark and watch the shoot-offs.

Gene in Illinois

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I went as a spectator in 2008 (about 1800 miles round trip). Shot a Beretta UGB25 on the practice trap (shot a 24). Did a little shopping on venders row, nothing major.

Split expenses with a friend, so the cost was manageable.

I wouldn't mind going back one day. Unfortunately for me to do it again solo, it would probably be a $400-$500 trip, to much to spend for a couple days of killing time.

If I lived an hour away, I'd go every year no doubt, and probably a couple times during the event. Then again, I've been to the PA State, OH State, and NY state trapshoots this year, didn't fire a shot at any of them, and only bought some loading supplies here and there.

4. 2 kluk

2 kluk Member

Terry

If you're that close, you will definitely want to visit the facility. It's awesome.

Plenty of good food... don't miss the homemade peach ice cream.

The facility is open to the public.

Enjoy!

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

No gate..............just a long road.If you like shooting,and good folks....attend by all means.It is quite the experience....really cool.(Not temp wise as you well know)....enjoy the event,and the vendors.......ah hell you might as well bring your shotgun,and shoot a event,or two........get my drift.............

D.P.Reynolds

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

Just got back from the SCTP championships. If I only lived an hour away I would go at least one day every year. If you like shotguns/shotgun related items, you can spend a couple of hours at the various vendors. The food there is not great but the restaurant in the main building had pretty good pizza and wings. Bring your shotgun, you may get the bug to shoot.

7. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

I know there are skeet houses on the grounds but I figure with a full blown trap shoot going on they would be unavailable. I suppose I could get the trap gun I bought 35 years ago (and shot very little)out of the safe and buy a ticket for the practice trap? Pretty much a waste of ammo though...

(BTW, weather has cooled off significantly today. In Sparta and where I live.)

8. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Terry, there are other things to do besides shooting at the Complex. Beginning on Wed, 8/7, the Hall of Fame will be holding a silent auction in the main room of the events center. You are welcome to bid, the final bids will be taken during a reception to be held on Sunday, 8/11. A $10 ticket will get you into the reception where there will be food, drinks and everyone will be able to meet and greet the enshrinees of the Hall of Fame.
    On Friday, 8/9 there is a shooters appreciation fish fry. A $10 tickdt for ages 15 and up (kids are $5) benefits the youth shooting program.
    There will be a nondenominational church service on Sunday.
    Opening ceremonies will be held on Monday. The Blue-Gray shoot out will also be on Monday evening.
    On Tuesday, there is a nostalgia shoot (old time guns) and the Hall of Fame Induction banquet, ticket required, to be held in the events center.
    On Wednesday, there is a FREE reception to meet the All Americans, held under the tent behind the grandstands.
    On Friday, the closing ceremonies are held.
    On Saturday there is a farewell party with food and music.
    Shopping the vendors during the day isn't limited to just guns. Food is plentiful and good. Parking is abundant.
    Everyone is WELCOME!

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It used to be like a circus with guns when it was in Vandalia, can't imagine its changed much except takes up a lot more space ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Go at least once and judge for yourself. As an avid trapshooter I think it's a slice of heaven.

11. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

So what day(s) have the real shooting events, the Handicap Championship? Where the real prizes are won (or lost)?

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

As a spdctator, The Popeye museum in nearby Chester will be more exciting....

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I am not a trapshooter but have always enjoyed going to the Grand whether in Ohio or Illinois. The vendors, the food (getting too old to really "put on the feed bag"), people watching, etc. Was at the SCTP Nationals last week to drop off two shotguns for choke work. Stuck around for a few hours looking around at the vendors and watching the kids and their families having a good time. I guess I did put on the feed bag with a full rack of ribs at Southside Ribs. I have decided that in the future I am going to the Grand annually from Southeast Tennessee. A fun time for any shotgunner. And there are area restaurants I haven't tried yet.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

To just go and watch would be like watching grass grow at midight and you would probably fall asleep doing both ... The vendors have always been a treat as well as some of the food vendors even back in Ohio ... You will always find something you need, want, or just gotta have thats for sure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Will there be gunsmiths there that can work on a small gauge SKB O/U? I broke a hammer spring and haven't been able to get it fixed anywhere locally. Gun has leaf springs.

16. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Your original question asked about things like parking, eats, entertainment. There are over 4000 parking spaces all free and no admission fee. Food, varies from the tent vendors on the east end to the main building which has a restaurant which changed this year (maybe from BBQ and other stuff to Italian?). Entertainment varies, the best bet is to check out the ATA Grand Program book on the shootata.com website or there is also a link on here to it. It should list what is happening on different days (it may not be listed in order). Also the most vendors will be there between probably Saturday the 10th through about Friday the 16th. Some will have left by the 17th.

But there is plenty to see even if you are not a shooter.