1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand earned yds 2010 vs 2009

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sand9229, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sand9229

Sand9229 Member

I looked at the scores and earned yardage for 2009 for the first five handicap events. The scores are considerably higher for 2009.

In event 13(Kolar handicap in 2009) there were (2) 100's; (9) 99's; (24)98's; (39)97's; (83) 96's.

In event 13(Krieghoff handicap in 2010) there were (6) 98's; (4) 97's; (15)96's;

This was the case for each of the handicaps. Scores were much, much higher in 2009. There was not that much difference in the number of entries.

What is the cause of this poor performance for the field?

Donny Sanders

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

People haven't shot as many targets this year? It wasn't as hot last year? IDK. I don't think you could statistically prove any one factor.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The main reason for the lower scores is the fact that the shooters are missing more targets this year, plain and simple.

Gne J

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It appears to me that each year my targets are getting smaller and I am getting larger.

Pat Ireland

5. MRMOKI

MRMOKI Member

Are the targets set to three hole on singles and handicap? The rights seem more difficult than last year?

Jim Lemmons

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Nobody wanta a 1099 for $100,000.00

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just curious but how do the number of entries by yard stack up?

Bob Lawless

8. Sand9229

Sand9229 Member

Bob,
    If I understand your question, you are asking what the breakdown of entries by yardage is. I don't know, but would be surprised if there was much variance from last year to this year.

We may have to wait until the Grand is over to get some significant insight as to why the scores are so low. I do not believe it is weather related. It was very hot the first two days, but after that, not that hot.

Donny Sanders

9. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Perhaps no reloads is part of the problem, at least for those that prefer their own reloads.

10. ivanhoe

Don

"I don't know, but would be surprised if there was much variance from last year to this year."

So all I am saying if you can't answer the question look outside the box. The number of shooter in each yardage group may very well have an influence on the score. JMO but that is just what I have noticed at other shoots

Bob Lawless

11. Sand9229

Sand9229 Member

Bob,

This is a quote from a friend's email.

"After I saw your thread, I looked at the RJ Stuart site and compared this year's doubles events to last year's. If I have read the results correctly, this year in four doubles events there have been a total of five 100 straights broken. A couple of the events had no perfect scores.

In 2009, in five doubles events there were thirty-five perfect scores shot. "

I don't think the number of shooters in each yardage group is the significant factor in the low scores. I don't have access to this information, so I can't say there is not a difference, for sure. The fact that the doubles scores are significantly lower makes me believe there are other reasons for the low scores.

Donny Sanders

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The 100K has everyones panties in a bunch.

13. ivanhoe

Don just a suggestion go to Stuart's Website and check all the years for the same information. You might find that all the other years are closer to 2010 than they are to 2009. The Doubles scores don't have anything to do with earned yds as the per the title.

Which leads me to believe that it just might be last years scores that are the one that are a lot different not 2010.

Also if you bother to check the All Americans you might notice that the Harrison, Stafford, Monson, Hawley, Campbell, Marshall and the like their averages are down from last year. This might also have something to do with it.

I say this because I am trying to figure out what you are driving at I can't understand what point you are trying to make.

I think that there is big difference in the weather this season the whole summer has been quite a bit hotter than last years. This may have a lot to do with the difference.

Bob Lawless

14. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I have shot all 5 handicaps so far and all 5 doubles events. A variety of factors are keeping the scores down. The heat was a big factor for the events Tuesday and Wednesday. The wind swirls at WSRC a lot since it is built on high ground. The facility also has a man-made gully in front of the traps for ease of loading targets. The variable wind from the North made the targets real erratic Thursday and Friday. The wind switched for the weekend to the South and again, erratic targets. They varied 3 feet or more at their peak. That said, the target setting crew has been busy, but generally doing a good job of keeping up with varible wind conditions.

I have seen a lot of dusted targets as well, you really have to center these birds to smoke them. A couple pellets on them will not break them. You can stand behind the line and hear pellets ping off the lost birds from time to time.

The angles look a little wider than in the past, but well within legal limits. The target speed is similar to years past, but in the headwind the target seems to jump out of the house. Whatever the reason these have been the toughest targets overall that I have shot at the Sparta Grand since it opened, and I believe everyone's scores reflect that.

15. Sand9229

Sand9229 Member

Bob,
    I am not trying to make any point.

I just thought the scores were considerably lower than last year and am interested in why.

Quite simply, I have started a discussion on this topic.

Many have responded and have provided interesting comments. I hope many more respond.

Donny Sanders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.