1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand demographics skewed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I received a list of states and the number of shooters from each state. After checking NY I could only find 33 shooters from NY, yet the list shows 51. If someone shoots prelim week as a class shooter and Grand week category he gets reclassified and is counted twice.

If NY is off by 18 shooters what are the other states off and what are the real numbers of real shooters that shot? (grand attendance}

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Really, I was not aware there was a separate classification each week actually am quite surprised that is true.

3. TF

TF Active Member

Maybe some went through classification to get an attendance pin or just to be counted (for some reason I can't imagine) and never actually shot.

4. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Trapshooteraa27aa, I have a friend that shot class prelim week and was reclassafied Grand week to catagory.

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

You can reclassify at the Grand at the end of prelim week if you were short of targets and had to shoot penalty. Per the program, targets shot during prelim week can be used to satisfy target requirements, so you can reclassify prior to Monday morning to remove your penalty classification.

I wasn't aware you could add/remove a category designation.

But the reality is that you do not have to reclassify for Grand week. I don't know the number of people that might meet the criteria above, but I suspect it's pretty small.

Scott

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I know of several people who classified but didn't shoot.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I remember shooters sending their ATA cards, with friends, to be classified and get an attendance pin every year.

Ed Yanchok

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Scott, I agree that you cannot change your declaration after you initially classify and shoot in your first event at the Grand, unless ATA is correcting their error. I doubt it happened as stated, but if it did it was probably wrong. It happens.

More likely is that the shooter doesn't really understand how the category declaration and still being eligible for class thing works, and was simply telling it how he thought it went. Who knows. IMO, many still don't have a grasp on that.

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Why would anyone want an attendance pin...from a shoot they did not attend?

10. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

In case you haven't noticed on here, some people do strange things.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Ed Yanchok

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I couldn't shoot in the 2012 Grand but worked in "squadding". I just wanted the pin for my collection. It killed me not to be able to participate.