1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

grand cherokee opinions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by verypoor, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verypoor

verypoor Member

got my eye on one ,6 cyl.seems to be a good value.anyone been thru the wringer with one of these?

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

As long as the 6 cyl has been taken care (if used) of it will be one of the best engines you wil ever have. The 6 is the best engine you could get. I was told by people who owned body shops that the Cherokee is a sound car to be in if you have an accident. Check around your area in the auto shops and body shops and see what they have to say also.

3. verypoor

verypoor Member

older ones had a 4.0 ,6,now they offer a 3.7 v 6.any pros or cons?also what kind of real world milage can i expect?

4. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Jeep has a Grand Cherokee with a diesel, from the Mercedes Benz ML series, slated to come out very soon. Some dealers may have the unit now.

I was very happy with over 100,000 miles on a 6 banger in my 1995 GC.

Phil

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I got an older Cherokee with the 4.0 6 cylinder.

As you can see it has over 214,000 miles on it and still going strong

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I bet the new ones can't be as good as the old 4.0 but maybe they are.

foghorn

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

A 6 cylinder and a V6 are two differant engines all together. As I said before its the 6 cyl you want NOT THE V6. I have a friend who has one and it has almost 200,000 on it and going strong. He is not one who takes that good of care of his cars mind you. It just keeps going. The diesel is something I will be looking in to.

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I have been the unfortunate one who has worked on to many of them. From about 1995 and newer the evaporater has been trouble in the air conditioning system. Their is no good parts so even if you have it replaced, a year later it can need replaced again. Its a simple operation. All you do is remove the dashboard assembly! Oh yea there is the junk rear ends that howl. Usually when deccelerating. I better stop before someone thinks I dont like them. I really do cause they always need worked On! Don

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A friend that I shoot alot with bought a new Liberty Diesel . He has had trouble with the diesel from the first day . The milage is very poor the cost to service the diesel is way high (120 +) and it runs like crap . At this time he is looking to trade for anything he can to get as far way from the Liberty as he can . He has had this Liberty for about six months and has over $800 bucks of his own money in it trying to keep it running . As for milage 17 to 18 is adverage it has never seen 20 mpg . It has been in the shop 3 or 4 times and still runs very ruff wiyth no power . He also found out if he does not use the oil Jeep calles for his warranty is void and said only jeep sells the oil at $6.29 a Quart .

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

hairy:

I will never tell, ok I did it 1 handed and with the digital camera and just pointed and shot.

birdtracker
    You should hear my electric fuel pump it is a whiner it is louder than any rear end noise that I have heard.

It has been that way since the last owner had it also.

foggy

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I have seen four that were in accidents. One rear end, one frontall, one run off the road and rolled, and one side swiped in all cases they were totaled. I wouldn't ride in one or invest in one for highway use. Having said that I know ranchers who use them for work and on country roads and don't wreck them and they seem satisfied.

Post-2

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Well I own and operate a late model salvage yard. Sell parts and pick up wrecks of every shape size and despription. Quess what, my wife drives a Grand Cherokee, enough said. Bill

12. 3DHC

3DHC Member

I have a 2003 Limited AWD HO V8 with around 33k miles that I bought new and I still like very much.

There have been two issues that should have been the basis of recalls that Chrysler continues to dance around.

They are:

1 - The front rotors have a tendency to warp and cause vibration while stopping. I had to have them turned and the front brakes replaced at around 20k miles.
    2 - The blend doors in the heater assembly failed about six months ago and it cost $1,000 to have them replaced which required the removal of the dash. The replacement blend door assemblies have been redesigned.

I have a couple of buddies that also have Grand Cherokee AWD Limiteds (1-Std V8 & 1 HO V-8) that have had the same problems. I didn't care for the 4.0 Six because it seems to generate a fair amount of engine vibration when I test drove one. The around town milage on the V-8's suck but they will usually do 18MPG or better on the open highway depending on how fast you want to drive. While no longer available, the HO V-8 has some balls.

The latest body style Grand Cherokees weigh about 500 lbs more than the older models. I tow mine behind my RV which makes this important to me.

Good Luck,

Butch

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I rented one in Alaska, and though it may have been limited to the one I had, it was a potential killer, in that when the cruise control dialed in some gas, it would shift down not once but twice, floor the throttle, and it you were on a rainy uphill sweeper you were close to out of control. I've never driven a scarier car.

Neil

14. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I ran a 89 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 6 cylinder up to 260,000 miles and it was still running great when I sold it. I bought it used with 190,000 miles and replaced four fuel injectors during the time I owned it.

Wish I could find a low mileage 4.0 in the old body style.
    The 4.0 engine seems to run forever.

ed.

15. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

My '93 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 is still going strong. Can't get it away from the wife long enough to service it

16. JHS

JHS TS Member

My son has a 1998 with 200,000 + miles, he just bought a new BMW but is keeping the jeep, that tells you something.

I have a 2000 2wd V8 with 120,000 miles, my wife's car. I have had to replace the radiator and had some other cooling system problems, likely caused by the Dealer who replaced the radiator. No other problems.

Great car to travel in. Plan to keep it to at least 200,000.
    Jim

17. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Had a '97 4WD GC; good vehicle but had to keep putting brake rotors and pads on it. The pinion seal on the transfer case started leaking right before the warranty went out, so they rebuilt the transfer case under warranty. Replaced the GC in '01 with a Toyota 4Runner, zero problems and still going strong after 90K plus miles with it; the Grand Cherokee was good, but the 4Runner is just superior in every way that counts.

18. allrem

allrem TS Member

I had a 95 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 litre in-line 6. Quite possibly the best vehicle I've ever owned. It had over 200K on it when I sold it. Tires, gas, oil changes and a cracked exhaust manifold were the only things I had to spend money on for it. My wife put it in the ditch once. I told her the same thing I'll tell Neil Winston. You can't drive a rear wheel drive vehicle with the "cruise" on in slippery conditions. Minnesotans outta know better....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.