1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GRAND ATTENDANCE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by IMR 7625, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

GRAND ATTENDANCE EVENTS 1-15 THIS YEAR TOTAL 15,471 NUMBER FROM R.J.STUART

GRAND ATTENDANCE EVENTS1-15 LAST YEAR 15,992 NUMBER FROM GRAND PROGRAM

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

It looks like it keeps falling every year.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hopefully the Grand week will have more shooters.

Curt

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All you naysayers. The fact that the shoot is almost even to last year, with all the economy woes tells me that that the Grand is alive and doing quite well in Sparta. There are very few Ohio and Pennsylvania shooters that used to frequent the Vandalia Grands here. Once they finally believe the Grand is here to stay our numbers should increase nicely.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You got it Barry... the economic conditions kept this shooter home... nothing more..

6. Damifino

Damifino Member

I agree - those are not bad numbers (compared to last year) considering everyone is inclined to buy gold with any extra money they have and hide it in their mattress right now.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The economy is only a small part of why people are not attending the Grand in Sparta ... The fact that they have to drive a long way to get to it and then drive a long way back and forth everyday might have something to do with it also, but thats just a guess ... The people attending has dropped off every year so this is normal and will probably keep up for some years to come ... Barry, Decline is decline if its 500 or 5,000, so quit finding reason to make excuses ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How many entries on today's Wednesday's singles championship compared to last year?

9. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

DR LONGSHOT NO NUMBERS FOR TODAY YET

NUMBERS FOR YESTERDAY

HDY. THIS YEAR 1683 LAST YEAR 1739

DOUBLES THIS YEAR 1351 LAST YEAR 1376

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If the Grand was still in Ohio, I would be there now. Nothing against Sparta, I’ve been there and will be going for a day this year, just don’t know what day yet.

I’ve got an a*ole for a boss (I’m self employed) who will not allow me to make plans very far in advance to attend a shoot. Seems like every time I make plans, hotels reservation we get busy at work and the work comes first. So my trips to the Grand have been spur of the moment trips. I could always find a room in Ohio, might be expensive, but I could always find a room with no advance notice and it wasn’t too far away.

Like I said - I could be at the Grand now, work is slow, but I can’t find a place to stay. I don’t have a motor home or camper and even if I did it sounds like I would still be out of luck because all the camp sites are rented.

In 2007 I drove over to Sparta and shot and ended up staying in STL. I planned on returning and shooting the next day but the long drive to shoot and back to the hotel again. ?? Well I just spent the day in STL and didn’t go back to the Grand.

Sparta is the kind of shoot where you have to plan in advance. Find a hotel early because there isn’t going to be one if you wait till August. Again nothing against Sparta, it just doesn’t work out well for the spur of the moment shooters like myself. I will shoot one day there this year, but it should have been 3 or 4.

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bisi -

You're not trying hard enough. The LaQuinta Inn in Mascoutah has rooms, and it's exactly 30 miles from the hotel parking lot to the WSRC entrance. I stayed there all last week. It's at the intersection of Hiway 4 and I-64, straight shot right down 4 to the WSRC.

You can go 7 miles to the west in O'Fallon and find rooms at probably 10 different hotels too.

Scott

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Scott you don't want to get rational with some of these whiners. What excuse will they use next?? Many people drive further than that to work everyday but complain about it to go shooting. It took Vandalia years (80+) to build it's following and those who want to compare it to Sparta after 4, get real.

Did you make your dinner reservation the other day??

Don

13. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

DR. LONGSHOT

NUMBERS FOR WED.SINGLES

THIS YEAR 1821

LAST YEAR 1881

ONLY DOWN 60 NOT TOO BAD

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don---I've been trying to say that very thing for a couple years now. I think half the people slamming the WSRC have never been there to even give it a chance. Big ATA and trap shooting supporters right? It will take awhile but Sparta is already ironing out problems from previous years mistakes.---Matt

15. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Don -

Some went, some didn't. I was in the "didn't" camp. Too late, for me anyway, to have a big meal like that. Probably my only regret of the last week (except for missing a target or two).

Scott

16. Sonny

Sonny Member

This was my first year attending the grand.First look it is HUGE!But easy to get around.The state of Illinois spared no expence in the fixtures on and in the facility.I spent 15 years on a county conservation board and learned reel fast how expensive these fixtures are.Restrooms were all stainless the benches are never going to be replced because they are built! The locals are glad we are here.Just good country folks.I had a ball!!Mike

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Some of the reasons that I can see for coming to Sparta versus Vandalia (no disrespect to Vandalia) are:

There are dedicated shooting families from places other than Ohio and Pennsylvania who have been supporting this sport for generations. These families now have more of a fair commute.

The camping facilities are phenomenal, and are not difficult to obtain. It's very easy to drive your camper in, park it, and set it up. We had a couple of friends over to our camper yesterday, and they were telling us that they had to set up their camper at Vandalia ahead of the shoot, otherwise they wouldn't be able to manuever.

Parking.

These are the major ones. There are dynamics, such as meeting and greeting, that are different here at Sparta. That is not enough to keep me away, since if I want to see people, I can put in the effort to plan ahead and then find and meet them when they arrive here. People talk about the history of Vandalia, and I cannot argue that, but I can say that I have enjoyed watching history unfold here at Sparta as well. I can remember Foster and Leo at the shoot off last year, and I have watched Dave as he makes ATA history.

When the dust settles, it is still the Grand. If the economy were better, and we hadn't lost some shooters due to scary political forecasts and lack of money, we would probably be about even (or maybe above) the attendance of previous years.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Interesting fact: Over half the people in Illinois live closer to Vandalia, Ohio than Sparta Illinois.

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

As Sgt Friday used to say, "Just the facts". For events 1-17 there were a total of 18,505 entrys. If you average it out it's 1088.5 entrys per event. Entrys are not the same as attendence, 1 shooter entering all 23 events is counted 23 times.

Eric

20. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Mixer, that's true. So if more people attended this year but chose to skip one event each day or maybe take a day off because of the economy or other reasons, we'd have way more shooters than are listed, right??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.