1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Attendance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdogs, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have not noticed anything about this subject on this site but perhaps I missed it. Are there any statistics about this year's Grand attendance and participation? How did it stack up against last year and the last year at Vandalia?

I realize that there were many factors which could have affected attendance such as the economy and gas prices, etc. and I wonder just what the bottom line was.

2. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Birdogs,
    The attendance numbers for the 2008 Grand week events were down 19% to 21% when compared to 2007. It would not be fair to compare some of the early numbers from prelim. week due to changes in the SCTP and the overall prelim. program. Comparing 2008 to the 2006 figures would show much higher declines. Hopefully when the economy recovers so will the Grand. I had the opportunity to classify and speak with several hundred shooters this past week. Most of the shooters that I spoke with stated they just could not afford to make the trip. Those that went said it was the best weather the Grand has had in a very long time.

Don Cogan

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It's amazing they couldn't afford to go the the Grand last week, The World Championship of Trap, but they could afford to go to Marengo for 4 or 5 days the week after. Something doesn't quite compute.

Don

4. zinger

zinger Member

an extra 950 miles with the price of diesel was enough savings for me!

5. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Big Don,
    Perhaps your calculator and theirs are computing with different numbers. I classified more PA and NY shooters the first hour on Wednesday then OH shooters. Many were on their way back from the Grand. Many said they just couldn't afford the expense this year. For whatever reason, we were up 71.4% over 2007 numbers and we are very grateful for all those that attended. I am told that you were actually there and I thank you too! Dean Townsend (CHC)once told me that no matter what we think "shooters will go wherever they please and there is nothing we can do about it".

Don

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Don, I think that a decline in the low teens is more like it, but as you say, it's hard to make direct comparisons due to event changes.

Neil

7. Terry L A

Terry L A TS Member

All I know is that if you attended this years grand, spent the dollars to shoot all of the targets and didn't come home with some sort of trophy you might want to rethink your game. The trophy list was huge and the attendance was poor. It really dilutes the value of the grand trophy I won in the past...too bad but it still means a lot to me.

Maybe next year the ATA will start giving shooters mullegans at the grand events so they can get better scores...and maybe move them to the 12 yard line...and on and on til the game is so diluted it will be gone.

8. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I went 27 times between 1977 and 2005.
    Have not yet and may not ever go to Sparta .

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

$300 less fuel (pays for a days shooting)and shoot 2 extra days (travel time to Sparta and back) was enough reason for me to go to Marengo in lieu of Sparta. No bashing, just time constraints and fiscal responsibility. I also know more people that shoot the Cardinal Center.

10. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Never went to the Grand in Ohio from 1980-2005.Been to all 3 in Sparta.

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

never went to vandalia from 79-05. but been to sparta twice.

12. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

If you want to see something interesting , look at the winners list at the Cardinal Center for 2007, then look at the winners list from 2008.

13. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Terry: If as you say, "that is all I know", then you sure don't know much! I've seen alot of dumb posts on this site, but yours takes the prize! Sure wish I had won one of those "diluted" trophies.... I must be a "bad shooter",(AA-27-AA) eh Terry? Walt.

14. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Here are the total paid entries for Grand Week Monday - Friday. Sorry but I do not have Grand week Saturday's events.

Year 2006 2007 2008

Monday 2224 1906 1622

Tuesday 1707 1601 1376
    2161 1991 1739

Wednesday 2268 2169 1881

Thursday 2584 2303 2030

Friday 2648 2484 2144

Mr. Winston is correct that the 2008 numbers compared to 2007 are down roughly 13.3%. I had seen the numbers compared to 2006 which is roughly down 20.6%. The 13.3% is less of a decline than many shoots have seen across the country. Please get out and shoot whenever and wherever you can. If we don't support all our clubs, large and small, we risk loosing these great facilities.

Don

15. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Sorry for the way the previous post printed out. I tried to show the numbers in a chart form but they didn't come out that way. The first 3 numbers on Tuesday are for doubles 2006 - 2008. The last 3 sets of numbers are for the handicap 2006 - 2008.

Don

16. Sideline

Sideline TS Member

My daughter attended her first Grand American in Sparta this year. Last Friday in the mail she received a trophy, a trophy we did not know that she had won before we headed home. If you had heard her or seen her reation to receiving a trophy from the Grand I doubt you would have thought that her prize was "diluted". She is proud of her sport, her fellow competitors, and she is sure proud of her Grand Trophy!!

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Now that is a good story. Congradulations.Murray.

18. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

First trophy from the Grand is a big deal in anybody's book. Congrats.

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Sideline, congratulations to your daughter on her trophy. She won it and deserves it.

Walt, Terry probaby needs to feel a little better about himself by feeling superior.

Terry, what score did you shoot for that trophy that was undiluted? I saw 4 pages of 100s this year. If the competition is stiffer with fewer people (see other threads that complain about the higher scores of today vs yesterday), then how is your trophy so much more valuable than the ones that are won today?

More people in attendence doesn't necessarily mean a tougher competition. You must, instead, look at the high scores (and the percentage of people who shot those high scores) to make the correct comparison. I saw page after page of 100s on the screen this year for many events.

20. Terry L A

Terry L A TS Member

Yes, that is a nice story and I think that is the kind of marketing story the ATA was hoping for when they went from 41 trophies in the 2006 Clay Target championship to in excess of 140 trophies/medallions in 2008. Over 100 trophy increase with less shooters and you say it is not diluted...? Just stating facts. Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.