1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand attendance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by missed, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missed

missed Member

With all of the discussion about target requirements and low attendance at shots I think we should make a change. Requirements for the Grand should be 500 single, 500 handicap and 300 doubles in each of the last 2 years and current. New shooters just 500-500-300. This will increase the attendance at the Grand and I really doubt the end results will change. The good shooters will all still rise to the top and attendance will increase.

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Missed -

There is nothing is preventing anyone with less than the minimums from attending/shooting the Grand. You can shoot targets only or penalty class, your choice, if you do not have enough targets in a particular disipline.

If, as you state, the results won't change and the good shooters will still rise to the top, there would be no reason that anyone would stay away from the Grand because of target requirements.

Scott

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I am not sure, but I believe the ATA EC is/or has considered reducing target requirement. I believe it to be in the best interest of the sport. Scott why would a person go to the expense and time to participate in the Grand American if he/she could not win a trophy, regardless of what it may be?

If we really want this sport to survive and prosper I truly believe we should stop almost all sanction, redo the handicap system and more forward. But I will admit our current BoD will not consider such sensible changes. After all a new, lower class or short yardage shooter might win something. - Jim

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What is penalty and what are target requirements now, missed?

Neil

5. scott calhoun

Jim -

I was merely addressing the comments made by the original poster. To paraphrase his comments, he basically said we should reduce the requirements to shoot to get more people and it wouldn't be an issue because those people wouldn't win anyway. So . . . if you were one of those people why would it matter what the target requirements are?

And I'll point out again, just because you don't meet the target requirements doesn't mean you can't win a trophy. Everyone recognizes that it takes a perfect score (or nearly so) to win a singles or doubles trophy at the Grand, so what difference would it make to the C or D shooter to be classified A or B?

It is the world championship of trapshooting - if you are going to have to meet requirements to particpate in a shoot it seems like this one would be the logical first choice.

Scott

6. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I SEE ALOT OF GUYS NOT AT MY CLUB NOT ATTENDING BIG SHOOTS BECAUSE THEY LACK REGISTERED TARGETS. I BEING ONE OF THEM. I AGREE WITH LOWERING THE MINIMUM TARGETS, IT WOULD BRING THE ATTENDANCE UP. SANDBAGGERS ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE SANDBAGGERS REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY TARGETS ARE REQUIRED.

7. missed

missed Member

Penalty for not enough singles is plus 2 classes and hdcp is plus 2 yards or no less then then 25yds. if my recall is correct for the Grand. So if I were to be a B class shooter and didn't have enough targets in I would shoot AA!!

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

to MAHRBEEZER If you see people at your club who do not have enough targets then I assume you guys are shooting at something. Why not call your state secretary and set up a registered shoot or two? It only takes three shooters. Shoot two hundred singles a day or two and VIOLA you are there! Sorta seems like you guys may not want to pay those outrageous daily fees that go to make all our sport work.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The Grand programs are out already Neil?

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Name one other World Championship you can get into without qualifying. None and now you want to dumb it down even more. I've got an idea write your score down on a piece of paper and just mail it in, while you are at it classify yourself and include that on your piece of paper. Rats I'll bet you would want the ATA to pay your postage.

Don

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I really don,t understand how a TRAPSHOOT can,t get the number of targets needed . I have four or five thousand this year and I have not shot much yet.

12. scott calhoun

I've always wondered why guys who don't/won't shoot targets at their own local clubs have such a desire to travel hundreds of miles and pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars to do the exact same thing at the Grand.

There's no need to nominate Jim for president, he could be president if he wanted to. All it takes is a life membership and a majority vote of your state's registered shooters and you are on your way. Considering how much supposed support there is for all the whiners you'd think they'd get smart and take things over. Doesn't seem like it would be much work, especially considering how much smarter they are than everyone else.

Scott

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

3,000 singles, 2,500 Hdcp, 1500 Dbls should be done away with and go back the way it used to be, 1,500, hdcp, 1,500 singles, 750 or 1,000 dbls over the previous 3 years to qualify to shoot the Grand, that amounts to 500 targets per year in each discipline for Hdcp and singles, I forgot what the Doubles qualification was as I didn't shoot doubles.

Shoots attendance was up, and family men and women could have time to spend with the family and not having to shoot almast every weekend in the summer.

Gasoline and shells were cheaper then also.

A good Executive Committee and President that has the average shooters interest at heart and not the BIG DOG'S payoff would help the SPORT tremendously.

Also the President's term should be lengthened to 5 years so he has enough time to implement ideas, changes should be the result of membership voting not EC decisions.

It takes that long for a President to get his cabinent in order, and move others out, and consequently shooters can re-elect a good president for as many terms as needed.

You heard it from me

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. missed

missed Member

Dr. Longshot has it right. Worked that way for many years till space and number of shooters became a issue. This is no longer a problem at Sparta and we are looking to get the People at this shoot to enjoy and compete at a World Class Event.

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I think reducing the target requirements would only hurt your small local club. There are a certain number of shooters who only shoot the local shoots because they need the targets to attend the Grand.

Reduce target requirements by 500 birds and who does it hurt? That small local club doesn't get to throw those birds, and sell you a hotdog and a pop, that's who it hurts.

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'll ask it again - does anyone telling us what the target requirements should be know what they are now? Anyone?

It seems to me it's kind of a requirement . . .

Neil

17. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

Am I correct that the requirements are all current year targets now? Like previously mentioned it was a total of the three previous years. I have never shot the grand, but will when I can regardless of whether I have met the requirements or not. I just want to shoot at the grand.
    wolfee

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil has twice raised a point that is relevant. Complaining about a target requirement that is too high, but not knowing what the requirement is does seem a bit odd to me.

Pat Ireland

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why should it seem odd?? No matter what it is the whiners will complain.

Don

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have supported the idea of our ATA president's term being longer than one year for a long time. My thought was two years but the goal is to give a person enough time to get something accomplished. Why should the ATA be different than a gun club? Both are small businesses serving the shooting population and the officers in every club with which I'm familiar serve at least two-year terms. But I suppose it would never work because it's not the way it's always been done...

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.