1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Attendance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brad patterson, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad patterson

brad patterson Active Member

During Prelim week, attendance was up just about 30% compared to last year. Then during Grand week it dropped in every event and overall attendance for the grand was up about 7%.

My question is why the majoe difference between the two weeks. Can't be the economy since during prelim week, every day you shoot 300 targets verses the 200 per day during grand week so in essence more cost during prelim week.

curious as to your thoughts.

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Not counting the one more handicap event and the one more doubles this year, the Prelim week was up +5% over 2011.

Grand week was down 6.9%.

3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I feel there are a couple reasons that Prelim was up and Grand week was down.

Many feel Prelim week offers more "bang for the buck" as you are offered 100 targets per day of each discipline. You pay for your room or camping spot, and get to shoot 300 targets for that money. A 2 day Prelim week stay gives you as many targets as 3 days during Grand week. If you don't care to shoot singles why stick around for Monday and Wednesday of Grand week?

School starts earlier all the time, many started last week. This weekend was college move-in weekend around here.

I recall the grounds at Vandalia were packed on Sunday of Prelim week and then Monday of Class singles the parking lot and wagons had plenty of room. So this is not really a new development.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Prelim week = fewer people, less hassle, less competition, greater chance for a win, and a trophy. Plus you get a chance at that $100,000.

But, some big dogs showed up too. $100,000 draws a crowd.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I know a lot of people who don't shoot singles at the Grand. The Monday and Wen. of Grand Week are just singles. They don't shoot singles because they don't feel they have a chance to win. Their thinking is they have to run 200 singles just to get in a shootoff. On the other hand most shooters going to the Grand think they can get on a roll and shoot caps in the mid to high 90s.

Could that be the reason??????

6. petey

petey Member

I shot 900 targets Friday thru Sunday (prelim) and only had to miss one day of work.(friday)I also liked the 900 target HOA lewis option. If I shot Grand week I would have missed 5 days of work and besides being very busy at work I couldn't afford to take that much time off.
    lots of driving though!
    Pete

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Combination of things:

Poor economy or perception of same

Eastern shooters saving up for Cardinal Classic

And, of course...............weeds management

8. KGUN

KGUN TS Member

Gary, great response I'm sure that is exactly the reason he was looking for.

9. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Might be because the kids stayed a couple extra days and shot some events in the first week. Last year the kids shot on the weekend between the two weeks this year they shot before the first week.

Just a thought

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Barry, don't you run a food stand at the Grand? How were your results by time?

11. Barry C. Roach

12. Barry C. Roach

Will you look what you started, Frank?

13. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Yes Barry we are expecting a four color chart showing corn dog Prelim and Grand statistics, also you could include some data regarding mustard and ketchup usage by week.

Good luck in your continuing recovery, and it was nice seeing you.

Ron Jr.

14. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Down 6.9% from last year? Go back to the late '60s & early '70s, down about 45%. The year that a Canadian was elected ATA president there were over 1000 squads for the GAH, that is the record, I was there. The Sparta squad numbers reflect using 27 banks but only utilize 25, 459 squads are actually 425 X 5 or around 2125 shooters. I wish I had the answer, I received my 45 year patch this year, I am afraid a 50 year patch may not be available at the current rate of decline. Fuel prices, economy are only a part of the problem. This was a sport that relied heavily on the working class and that is an area of major decline. Trap has become a "rich man's game".

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

trap has always been a "rich man's game."

16. Barry C. Roach

Roach dogs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.